HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:08 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
I complained about the wire gear until it finally ended up saving my plane from a lot of damage. It is inconvenient to bend the gear back and I find myself doing it fairly often, but I don't find it to be a huge deal. The plane flies well enough that I can look past an occasional gear bending issue.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:47 AM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
Yup, Giant disappointment. This plane is talked about as if it's the magic perfect 3d cheater that's the best since slice bread. That's high expectations, and owning it, I don't think it's that great.

It amuses me that people are finding any way to blame me for the planes weak landing gear. Yes i'm flying on grass, No the wheels don't bind. 3dhs couldn't have made a bad decision on a plane, it MUST be the pilot's fault. hahaha. I ain't the only one with issues considering the number of posts on here finding ways to make the non-removable landing gear removable or replacing it with decent landing gear.
A giant disappointment? Nah. For me, the gear was a weak point. Big deal. Put some solid gear on it. It's pretty easy to do. Considering that its made for flying, not driving or taxiing, the gear is nearly a non-issue. The way it flies more than makes up for weak gear. I'd rather it fly well than taxi well.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:11 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
Yup, Giant disappointment. This plane is talked about as if it's the magic perfect 3d cheater that's the best since slice bread. That's high expectations, and owning it, I don't think it's that great.

It amuses me that people are finding any way to blame me for the planes weak landing gear. Yes i'm flying on grass, No the wheels don't bind. 3dhs couldn't have made a bad decision on a plane, it MUST be the pilot's fault. hahaha. I ain't the only one with issues considering the number of posts on here finding ways to make the non-removable landing gear removable or replacing it with decent landing gear.
I feel the same about the 41 inch edge. Mine is not a great flying plane. No matter how I set up the CG it climbs inverted, KE flight requires way too much speed, lots of wing rock and the wire landing gear is annoying. Its a fun plane but its talked up so much that I was expecting better, maybe I should have opted for the little slick instead.

I just ordered the SHP, if that one doesn't fly great I'm going to switch to EF planes.
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:23 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post
I feel the same about the 41 inch edge. Mine is not a great flying plane. No matter how I set up the CG it climbs inverted, KE flight requires way too much speed, lots of wing rock and the wire landing gear is annoying. Its a fun plane but its talked up so much that I was expecting better, maybe I should have opted for the little slick instead.

I just ordered the SHP, if that one doesn't fly great I'm going to switch to EF planes.
What setup are you running in your 41"?
wamsy55 is online now Find More Posts by wamsy55
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:05 PM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Ouch!!

Have you ever flown the EF 48" Extra? If not then give that one some consideration as well. I had one for a short time and loved it. I sold it to fund another purchase...
I have not tried the Extra yet, but that is no doubt an amazing plane from what I've seen. Thing is this plane will technically be "my dads" since it was actually his Edge I crashed. Out of the 300+ flights on it, I think he had 1 and a half, lol. He was a bit scared of it, but regardless I need to cater the replacement more to him so I figured the Edge would be a little more forgiving than the Extra on him. He just flies, he doesn't do any 3d or aerobatics besides simple loops and rolls, but every now and then he'll try something new. He said he wants something similar but with stiffer landing gear, so I ended up ordering the EF Edge. I think I'm more excited than he is!

One of these days I will FINALLY install the new motor box kit in my broken 3dhs Edge. It's been sitting untouched most of the year and now I'm having withdrawals from not having one to fly, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
I feel your pain my friend. Yep that hit definitely spread the gear. Amazing how you knocked most of the paint off of the bottom of the cowl without busting the fibreglass more than that. Oh and as long as you don't get anything from PA Steve will still talk to you.
hahahaha, oh PA... should stand for Paper Airplanes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
looks fixable to me
Perhaps in the hands of an expert builder, but to me it would be kind of a waste of time knowing it will never fly the same way again. There is quite a bit of damage throughout that I wouldn't want to tackle myself. Plus I still have my own Edge to fix.
Motojunk is offline Find More Posts by Motojunk
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:35 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsy55 View Post
What setup are you running in your 41"?
Recommended setup. 72g, HS65HB all around, 3S 1600's.
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:43 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,159 Posts
I moved my steel washer/ballast weight forward another 3/4 of an inch and hot glued it to the bottom of the battery tray so that it was just touching the front of the 1st former. Did 5 flights and I believe I now have optimal CG at least for my tastes and flying style. She felt very locked in and solid, as good or better than any of my 3 Edges has ever felt. I have alway struggled before with getting a consistently good landing with the Edge. Now I know why. I have been way too far back with the CG all along. Hover, harrier and everything else I tried were so much easier. Guess if I wasn't an IDIOT I would have figured this all out a long time ago.
MARCOELDRAGON is online now Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:55 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
I moved my steel washer/ballast weight forward another 3/4 of an inch and hot glued it to the bottom of the battery tray so that it was just touching the front of the 1st former. Did 5 flights and I believe I now have optimal CG at least for my tastes and flying style. She felt very locked in and solid, as good or better than any of my 3 Edges has ever felt. I have alway struggled before with getting a consistently good landing with the Edge. Now I know why. I have been way too far back with the CG all along. Hover, harrier and everything else I tried were so much easier. Guess if I wasn't an IDIOT I would have figured this all out a long time ago.
Having the right CG is probably one of the most critical parts of the setup! It should feel pretty locked in now that you've got the CG much further forward. Did you get it all the way to the 80mm mark?
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:11 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloosee View Post

Either you have not re-trimmed your plane after each time you reset the CG, or your CG is not far enough forward...end of story!! No plane that is properly trimmed and has the CG correct will climb while inverted, again....end of story!!!

People take off, and the plane is tail heavy, they put in a bunch of down trim to compensate for it, they then roll the plane inverted, and of course it climbs while inverted. They then move weight forward to adjust the CG, but don't change the trim, and so when they roll it inverted it still climbs, and will continue to do so, until it has been re-trimmed...

As to the wire gear on both the 41" and 48"...Taking the wheel pants of only exacerbates the problem of landing on grass and bending the gear. If you leave the wheel pants on, they act as skis to help slide over the grass, a bit wider/ larger diameter wheels/tires, will help, but you don't need 3" diameter ones. I don't fly off of grass, so, no I don't have that problem, but I have flown off of both dirt and asphalt and the "only" time I have bent my gear was on a bad landing at Rancho San Antonio park in San Jose, CA, when I was caught by a wind "rotor" at the end of the landing area and slammed into the ground.

That said, for those people that must land on really rough areas or do not know how to land, then I highly recommend doing the gear mod so that in the event that the gear does need replacing, it can be.....simple as that...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Oct 24, 2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:40 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Either you have not re-trimmed your plane after each time you reset the CG, or your CG is not far enough forward...end of story!! No plane that is properly trimmed and has the CG correct will climb while inverted, again....end of story!!!

People take off, and the plane is tail heavy, they put in a bunch of down trim to compensate for it, they then roll the plane inverted, and of course it climbs while inverted. They then move weight forward to adjust the CG, but don't change the trim, and so when they roll it inverted it still climbs, and will continue to do so, until it has been re-trimmed...

As to the wire gear on both the 41" and 48"...Taking the wheel pants of only exacerbates the problem of landing on grass and bending the gear. If you leave the wheel pants on, they act as skis to help slide over the grass, a bit wider/ larger diameter wheels/tires, will help, but you don't need 3" diameter ones. I don't fly off of grass, so, no I don't have that problem, but I have flown off of both dirt and asphalt and the "only" time I have bent my gear was on a bad landing at Rancho San Antonio park in San Jose, CA, when I was caught by a wind "rotor" at the end of the landing area and slammed into the ground.

That said, for those people that must land on really rough areas or do not know how to land, then I highly recommend doing the gear mod so that in the even that the gear does need replacing, it can be.....simple as that...

SteveT
Completely agree (although the wheel pants thing was news to me... but makes sense).
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:42 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:

As to the wire gear on both the 41" and 48"...Taking the wheel pants of only exacerbates the problem of landing on grass and bending the gear. If you leave the wheel pants on, they act as skis to help slide over the grass, a bit wider/ larger diameter wheels/tires, will help, but you don't need 3" diameter ones. I don't fly off of grass, so, no I don't have that problem, but I have flown off of both dirt and asphalt and the "only" time I have bent my gear was on a bad landing at Rancho San Antonio park in San Jose, CA, when I was caught by a wind "rotor" at the end of the landing area and slammed into the ground

That said, for those people that must land on really rough areas or do not know how to land, then I highly recommend doing the gear mod so that in the even that the gear does need replacing, it can be.....simple as that...

SteveT
Careful Steve! Sensitive eyes on the landing ability!!!!! Lol.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:06 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Careful Steve! Sensitive eyes on the landing ability!!!!! Lol.
The truth is the truth.....and the truth sometimes hurts...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:11 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
The truth is the truth.....and the truth sometimes hurts...

SteveT
Amen brother!
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:14 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
2,023 Posts
Yes they bend (and bend back too) we all know that. Good one SteveT about the pants in grass. Makes sense. Also, watch the gear when your taking off. If one or both wheels chatters it needs to go on the front end alignment rack and get aligned. I believe some of the "bending" is also done at blast off if the wheels are bouncing like that.

The wire gear I believe was a marketing decision by 3DHS on day one to keep the $$ at buck and a half and put money in the airframe and one awsome airframe it is built to specs.

From beginner to expert this airframe can do it all. Definately it's no taxi. LOL
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:35 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,159 Posts
Steve is dead on target about the need to re-trim each time you adjust the CG. I have been working for days now to get mine near the 80mm mark with my 2200 batteries and still have enough battery hanging out from behind the cowl to get a velcro strap around. I ended up at 82mm which I was shooting for. At each point a re-trim of the elevator was needed to verify the results of the CG change. It now flies like a different plane. Now it is a joy to fly and land, it was always a joy to fly but landings used to scare me. Ready to fly weight with 2200 battery is now a touch over 45 ounces for a gain of about 1 1/2 ounces from the original build. The love affair continues. Thanks to all for their input, advice and putting up with my mindless ramblings. Hope everyone enjoys their Edges as much as I do mine.
MARCOELDRAGON is online now Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON