HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:18 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,466 Posts
ok, so she is probably freaking out but you know what its like so you can provide support... "Don't worry honey, they practically grow by themselves.." (not really but it makes for a good saying...)
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:53 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
# 3 for me but the other two are from my first wife. They are 8 and 7. This is my wife's first child. Everyone's excited... Including my other two kids.
Good luck to you and your wife!
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:55 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Good luck to you and your wife!
Thanks!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:43 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
4,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Thanks!
Got a name picked out yet? Ill bet you think Im going to throw out a bunch of suggestions now right?
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:45 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
4,977 Posts
Hmmm .........Andrew.....Scott.....Quique ????
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:57 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,466 Posts
Well, if you call your child "Three Dee H. S." Do you get a free kit?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:27 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
7 packs through the Edge today. Wall to hover to parachute to elevator to harrier * thousands times today = one happy customer

It was a weird day tough. After only flying the 500W+ Mosa II last weekend the Edge felt so slooooow in comparison. To make matters worst I finally calibrated the throttle range on the ESC and that seemed to have made things worst as well. I felt myself spending so much time at 3/4 throttle or more. I suppose I need to get used to it again. I am sure switching to the 14x7 prop from the 13x6.5 will help as well.

Also, the CG and trim is all out of whack.
- When I first started with the Plane I only needed a few clicks of up trim
- Then merely switching the Tx/Rx from Spektrum to Futaba (and no other changes) required 12 clicks of up trim.
- For today's session, i moved the CG back from 80mm to 85mm hoping it was going to help with the KE coupling
- But the weird thing is, even tough the CG moved back, no correction of elevator trim was required for level flight and KE coupling seems to have been even worse..
I think tomorrow i will go back to the basics not worry about 3D and first make sure I get the CG right not where the "CG machine" said it should be, but rather where it has to be to eliminate the elevator trim. Then take it from there.. (unless you guys think that 12 clicks is nothing to think twice about).

The other thing that I can think off is that maybe this all self-induced. I noticed today I had crazy wing rock in harriers. I then caught myself adding aileron input with the elevator. As soon as I corrected my input the wing rock improved. I also found it is really hard for me to do the outside loop part of a reverse cuban 8 becuase I am adding aileron input and it just rolls out of it. Perhaps this is whats happening in KE as well. I already have 50% expo set for L/R and 75% expo for H/R so i guess it is just a matter of practicing and improving.

1st? 2nd? 3rd? Good Luck!
I believe the trim clicks are much finer than that of spektrums, so it is more precise.
That being said, it would take twice as many clicks for futaba as it would spektrum.
Make sense?
Alex
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:35 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,466 Posts
Make sense (i think). So you are basically saying that had I measured the deflection with Spektrum, and after trimming with Futaba, the end results would be the same (i.e. the extra futaba clicks just ended up resulting in the same final trim the Spektrum had)...

A thought had just occurred to me, when someone here previously referred to "natural CG" before, did they mean a CG at the point where no elevator trim was needed (vs. the 80 or 90mm location)? I just searched RCG for "natural CG" and nothing came up so I don't feel guilty asking...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:37 PM
3DHobbyShop Addict
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,552 Posts
Correct
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:39 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,466 Posts
Thanks! Did you:
A. Get your Edge Already?
B. Built it?
C. Flown it?

brb, going to load the car with Planes for tomorrow..
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:52 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,353 Posts
Quote:
Also, the CG and trim is all out of whack.
- When I first started with the Plane I only needed a few clicks of up trim
- Then merely switching the Tx/Rx from Spektrum to Futaba (and no other changes) required 12 clicks of up trim.
That sounds like sub trim. Seriously, 12 clicks is no longer just trim. Sounds like you had sub trim dialed in with the Spektrum system and when switching to the Futaba gear, didn't put the surfaces back to neutral.
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:57 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
I believe the trim clicks are much finer than that of spektrums, so it is more precise.
That being said, it would take twice as many clicks for futaba as it would spektrum.
Make sense?
Alex
JR and Spektrum radios have adjustable steps to the trim, you can make it fine or course.....just not while flying..... Like when I maidened my 71" Slick.....one click was too much up, but otherwise it was dropping... I landed, brought the trim steps down, then I was able to trim it out...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:38 AM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,481 Posts
Quote:
Make sense (i think). So you are basically saying that had I measured the deflection with Spektrum, and after trimming with Futaba, the end results would be the same (i.e. the extra futaba clicks just ended up resulting in the same final trim the Spektrum had)...

A thought had just occurred to me, when someone here previously referred to "natural CG" before, did they mean a CG at the point where no elevator trim was needed (vs. the 80 or 90mm location)? I just searched RCG for "natural CG" and nothing came up so I don't feel guilty asking...
I think the term you're after is "neutral CG," not "natural CG." That should help.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Oct 21, 2012, 03:25 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,155 Posts
If I end up needing anything near that much trim I try to fix it mechanically by moving the rod in the quick connector so I can get the TX trim closer to zero. Not sure if this is the correct method but it is what I do.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:04 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
no, he wouldn't teach her to fly, if fact he has since sold everything rc and gone into hunting.

sometimes hobbies are best kept separate plus he didn't want his buddies to find out she was a better builder than him
Funny and sad! Hope he found some self esteem and confidence in the woods!
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7