SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:02 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
There's been a teenage coming out to fly with my group lately and he started showing an interest in 3D flying (I'm the only 3D guy in the group) so I steered him towards the Edge.

Well - he built it himself and did a fantastic job and tonight he maidened it. It was super cool to see him literally grinning from ear to ear as he flew it. This kid fell in love with the plane and will probably be a 3DHS fan for life now. He's hooked... I can already tell.

I can't wait to see him progress as his flying skills are already quite good.

Anyway - just thought I'd share.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:04 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
There's been a teenage coming out to fly with my group lately and he started showing an interest in 3D flying (I'm the only 3D guy in the group) so I steered him towards the Edge.

Well - he built it himself and did a fantastic job and tonight he maidened it. It was super cool to see him literally grinning from ear to ear as he flew it. This kid fell in love with the plane and will probably be a 3DHS fan for life now. He's hooked... I can already tell.

I can't wait to see him progress as his flying skills are already quite good.

Anyway - just thought I'd share.
Right on turner!!! Greatest feeling ever isnt it? Ive had a few of those this year at our field.
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:06 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY View Post
Right on turner!!! Greatest feeling ever isnt it? Ive had a few of those this year at our field.
Yea - pretty cool to watch someone discovering the same joy that we all know and love!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:58 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,171 Posts
Great job turnerm! My apprentice didn't work out so well. Apparently he thought flying in general was going to be easy. He even said " I figured if you could do it anybody could."

Oh and yes it only takes a flight or 2 on the Edge or anything else from 3DHS to be hooked.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:06 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Great job. I recently gave a plane a charger and batteries to a young man (10-12 ish) at our club. It was unexpected and I hope he uses it or the parts to do something good. He really likes seeing my collection when I'm at the field. We'll see what he thinks of the new 57" Extra 330 when it's done! Again, good work promoting the hobby an 3DHS Turner.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:15 PM
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Sep 2012
170 Posts
have a ? do the pull pull cables cross or does the right go up right side of fuse and left go up the left side
teddy5085 is offline Find More Posts by teddy5085
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:17 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy5085 View Post
have a ? do the pull pull cables cross or does the right go up right side of fuse and left go up the left side
cross
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:18 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
They cross...
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:28 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy5085 View Post
easy answer....look at the angle of the fuse where they come out the back....the angle from the arms to the outside would have to "bend' the wires to get to where they need to be if they were straight and would rub and sooner or later cut a new, longer groove in the fuse. 98% of the time this angle requires the cables to cross. If you are like me, understanding why, helps us to answer our own questions and makes it easier to remember in the future. Hope this helps
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:57 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
I let my girlfriend fly my profile EPP 3d planes. I just adjust the rates till she feels comfortable and let her have at it. As long as there is some grass around she can crash all day long
Absolutely!+1
I had my 6 yr old daughter flying my tech one 1100 yak the other day. Just toned down the rates and bumped up the expo. She lasted about 20sec or so at altitude with about 5 mins of prior sim time. Excellent investment and great practice plane for 3 D.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:56 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,171 Posts
Back from 6 batteries of fun. Tried to get some video but my keychain camera kept crapping after about 30 seconds. Nothing spectacular to see except for some nice KE spins. Most of the time was spent working on harrier, which I have yet to master to my satisfaction. I can do low angle fine but what I'm trying to get better at is the real nose high tail low stuff like I see turnerm and some of you others make look so easy. The repaired and rebuilt Edge #2 is holding up well though I did have a real close call the other day. On the last flight of the day Wednesday I need to add 3 clicks of up trim right after takeoff. I thought the rod was loose in the elevator quick connect. With butt cheeks firmly clenched together I brought her around and landed. Turns out 3 of the 4 elevator hinges were loose. Lucky not to be buying Edge #4.

Gave up on my longer wire gear and put my best stock one back on with the 2.5" Du-Bro wheels. Forgot to recheck CG afterward and wondered why it was very pitch sensitive. Today before flying I checked and the CG with battery in its' normal position and it was 95mm! Guess that explains the sensitivity. Cut about a 1/2 inch from my foam block so I could move the battery forward and was able to get the CG to about 90mm. Now the battery is so far under the cowl I can only get my velcro strap around the very end. I flew it like that anyway but was worried the whole time. 2 times out of 6 flights the strap had popped off by the time I landed. Trying to find a solution that does not require adding weight. Not much I can move around to shift the CG. Already using a lightweight extension to the elevator servo that is exactly the right length.

Ah just had a thought. Use the plastic motor spacers that came with the Edge to move the Omega forward. Will have to redrill the cowl cause mine is very close to the end of the motor already. Ideas and suggestions welcome.
Last edited by MARCOELDRAGON; Oct 19, 2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: A possible solution?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:12 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,142 Posts
Hollow a foam (or light weight balsa) block out that your battery can slide into in the front (instead of the block you have there now) and glue it in, Then you can just slide the battery into the hollowed out part, and put one strap at the rear. Sounds to me like you might want to invest in a better strap too...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Oct 19, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:33 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
Most of the time was spent working on harrier, which I have yet to master to my satisfaction. I can do low angle fine but what I'm trying to get better at is the real nose high tail low stuff like I see turnerm and some of you others make look so easy.
What challenges are you running into with your high alpha harriers? Is it more of an issue of keeping the plane moving forward or is it more of an issue keeping the wings steady?

To keep the plane moving forward you'll have to constantly adjust your throttle. Some poeple talk about blipping the throttle (up,down,up,down) but if you get too crazy with that it looks jerky. It just takes constant throttle management - that's all. You might also have to play with your elevator a little too...

If you're having trouble keeping your wings steady then just FORCE yourself to make all corrections with your rudder. Small, quick correctiosn will do it. After a while you can go back to making some corrections with ailerons (especially on turnaround moves and when you want to make a sharp banked harrier turn) but try to train the brain to think rudder only.

But at the end of the day it just takes practice. I used to spend entire days doing 90% harriers and little to nothing else.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:54 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,171 Posts
Great Idea Steve. Working on something like that right now.

My problem with high alpha harrier is like you said maintaining forward motion, no real wing rock after adding 5% more expo to aileron unless I am turning across the wind and then the downwind wing wants to drop. Are you holding some left rudder all the time? I have to to keep it going straight. Probably just need a couple hundred more flights as I'm kind of retarded. Probably help when I can get the CG closer to 80 mm where I like it.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:19 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
Great Idea Steve. Working on something like that right now.

My problem with high alpha harrier is like you said maintaining forward motion, no real wing rock after adding 5% more expo to aileron unless I am turning across the wind and then the downwind wing wants to drop. Are you holding some left rudder all the time? I have to to keep it going straight. Probably just need a couple hundred more flights as I'm kind of retarded. Probably help when I can get the CG closer to 80 mm where I like it.
Yea - you won't be able to maintain straight forward harriers without holding some rudder (I can't remember whether I hold left or right rudder... but you need some of it). To keep the plane moving foward in HA you will HAVE to play with the throttle some too.

Imagine balancing a broom tip on your finger. No imagine that you want to move the broom forward but while holding it at a 45 degree angle while running forward. You will have to keep moving your finger back and forth to keep it balanced at that angle right? Your finger is the throttle...