HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:29 PM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,467 Posts
Haha it does! That gave me an idea. I'm going to find a tundra-like location to take a pic.
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:45 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,428 Posts
I am jealous you were able to fit those. Given where I fly, the first thing I wanted to do is put 2-3/4" du-bro super-light weight wheels on but there was not enough wire to fit and secure them as well. Maybe mine is unusually short? I ended up using 3" sport wheels and I can't say I love their looks. I think it makes it look like a toy a little (especially without the wheel pants)... I like the look of the scale tires much better.
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:53 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Ordered some upgrades.

14x7 PJN Xoar. Man, these props are beautiful. I had to heavily carve the 40mm EF spinner for it to fit though.

Dubro Diamond Lite Wheels 3" for grass landings. I love the rugged look.
nice decals on the cowl man.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:05 PM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
I am jealous you were able to fit those. Given where I fly, the first thing I wanted to do is put 2-3/4" du-bro super-light weight wheels on but there was not enough wire to fit and secure them as well. Maybe mine is unusually short? I ended up using 3" sport wheels and I can't say I love their looks. I think it makes it look like a toy a little (especially without the wheel pants)... I like the look of the scale tires much better.
I'll be honest, the wheel collars barely fit. I don't have much of an option where I fly either. Large wheels or consistent nose overs. Pick your poison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
nice decals on the cowl man.
Gotta represent!
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:51 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I'll be honest, the wheel collars barely fit. I don't have much of an option where I fly either. Large wheels or consistent nose overs. Pick your poison.

Gotta represent!
Harrier landings are an option! Just sayin!
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined Feb 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
guilty as charged

I just put 4 packs through my beater edge. I spent the last pack doing almost nothing but inverted harrier. On earlier packs I had fun practicing weeble wobble to KE spin. That is a great way to spend a downline and is almost always interesting to watch... even if I can't do it perfectly
I've been trying to work my rollers and attempt some weeble wobbles. I use RF6 but there's no substitute for the real deal. KE, KE spins, blenders are all pretty good. Harrier is going well and mixing a couple rolls into the harriers work but changing the direction of the rollers is where it gets a little crazy. So, any good sources for tutorials or help? I like Bone Docs vids and they have helped.
Loving this 48" edge and about to order a 57" Extra 330. Missed out on the deal on the 59" Slick :-( maybe an open door to the Extra experience.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:33 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
I put some similarly large wheels on a similar sized plane by carefully dremelling out one side of the hub on each wheel so the collar actually recessed into the wheel a bit. Big wheels on rough grass is nice.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:56 PM
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Sep 2012
170 Posts
Hi all , well Im almost done got servos in everything is hooked up still have a few things todo yet i guess i have a few ?? on the cg stuff , its like 80mm for sport and 90 for 3d flyen from the front of the wing? so if thats the line were does lipo pack sit? half&half it would be cool if someone could post a few pics of their set ups thank you for any fb on this
teddy5085 is offline Find More Posts by teddy5085
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:06 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy5085 View Post
Hi all , well Im almost done got servos in everything is hooked up still have a few things todo yet i guess i have a few ?? on the cg stuff , its like 80mm for sport and 90 for 3d flyen from the front of the wing? so if thats the line were does lipo pack sit? half&half it would be cool if someone could post a few pics of their set ups thank you for any fb on this
Measure your desired cg point, then mark it with some tape and hold the plane with your fingertips at those points. CG varies quite a bit with different brand batteries, servos, Rx's, etc, so I wouldn't recommend doing that.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:27 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
I've been trying to work my rollers and attempt some weeble wobbles. I use RF6 but there's no substitute for the real deal. KE, KE spins, blenders are all pretty good. Harrier is going well and mixing a couple rolls into the harriers work but changing the direction of the rollers is where it gets a little crazy. So, any good sources for tutorials or help? I like Bone Docs vids and they have helped.
Loving this 48" edge and about to order a 57" Extra 330. Missed out on the deal on the 59" Slick :-( maybe an open door to the Extra experience.
I can't recommend that plane enough. It's just a wonderful plane. Fast and precise but will do low and slow when you want to. I've recently started doing really slow rollers about 5 feet off the deck with this plane and it just makes me giddy. It feels like it's going in slow motion. Gets my heart rate going but the plane never lets me down...
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined Feb 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
Measure your desired cg point, then mark it with some tape and hold the plane with your fingertips at those points. CG varies quite a bit with different brand batteries, servos, Rx's, etc, so I wouldn't recommend doing that.
+1- I have an 80 and 90 mark on the top of the fuselage sides. When I'm mounting my batt I check cg each time (takes a couple seconds). I just hold it at the spot and adjust the batt as necessary with the canopy off (it's so light it really doesn't effect the cg much). I use 3s 1800-2200 packs plus paralleling 1500 and 1300 s for a 2800. There is no way to have a specific batt position. Note, with my setup I find the forward (80mm from leading edge) best for 3 D and sport. Seems to like it better on forward side for the flat maneuvers- poptops, flat spins, blenders,etc. this plane is fairly forgiving so don't be too concerned to experiment. Takeoff, roll inverted and see what the trend is. You're gonna love it. Fly low! After you get the cg worked out.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:37 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy5085 View Post
what quad said plus (at the risk of stating the obvious), the battery has to sit wherever it needs to sit for the plane to be balanced at your desired CG. If you are using small batteries (say 2600 and below) and going for the sport CG first, I suspect that is going to be all the way against the foam behind the firewall. You did put some foam behind the FW right?
If your batteries are on the bigger side say 3000 and up, they will go an inch or two further aft which makes them easier to secure. As you balance the plane at a further CG point, the further back your batteries will be able to go. Either way they will go in the designated battery tray forward to the CG point (got to counter that fuse somehow...) and not in the middle of the CG point. If you still think you need pics let me know and i'll upload you some...

Maybe it is just my crooked fingers, but I find it impossible to balance a plane accurately with my fingers. Maybe it is also becuase I like to balance Planes with the prop spinning just a notch to simulate it being in the air...
**** kidding!***
Not having a fancy CG machine, I just drilled two holes in two wooden cubes connected to a ply box, and stuck two pencils in it (not my idea!). The cubes can be rotated to accommodate different size planes. It works so well, I am thinking of marketing it...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:41 PM
Joined Feb 2012
968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I can't recommend that plane enough. It's just a wonderful plane. Fast and precise but will do low and slow when you want to. I've recently started doing really slow rollers about 5 feet off the deck with this plane and it just makes me giddy. It feels like it's going in slow motion. Gets my heart rate going but the plane never lets me down...
I'm going to get that extra. So are you just doing the rollers trial and error or are you learning them somewhere. I'd love to get some control over mine! I know- burn more lipos! I think I have to stop taking so many planes out at once. I usually have a car full of 2 EDFs, an EPP 43" yak, 42" Peaks Bipe and the Edge. I'll fly them all a few times. Maybe some concentrated practice is due.
Last edited by dth7; Oct 16, 2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:43 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,856 Posts
dth I am on my phone right now but there are lots of posts about doing rollers. All I can say is keep practicing. Everything comes down to time and effort. You will get better with practice and even though progress may come slowly, it will come.

For the most rapid progress I recommend slowing things down. That means using your sim to slow the physics down. Start with physics set at around 60 or 70% and practice your timing. Try to make it smooth and precise. I tend to think of things in a sort of musical aense because I have spent over 15 years playing an instrument. The down beat is canopy up. The tempo changes but only because you don't have total control yet. Assuming you are rolling with left aileron pegged if you get a little ahead of the beat you will fly in a clockwise circle. Fly behind the beat and you will go counter-clockwise. Exactly on the beat and you are going straight. For me going clockwise is easy. Going straight is tougher but manageable. Going counterclockwise is a real challenge and I don't do it very often as a result. Anyway, there is another way of looking at it
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:44 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
+1- I have an 80 and 90 mark on the top of the fuselage sides. When I'm mounting my batt I check cg each time
Why just not make two little marks on the bats themselves? This way you can have the CG dialed in for each battery and you would not have to check it each time. I make sure the marks are applied in relation to the last former of the motor box. Conventional wisdom says you should mark where the batteries go directly in the battery tray. However, I found that there could be quite a bit of variations between the same battery model. Perhaps it doesn't matter, but I am pedant....

EDIT: oh oh, i never played an instrument in my life. I think I am screwed...
RCG Plus Member