SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:47 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy5085 View Post
Hey guys! I have 2 ? so as i have been building my edge i have noticed that were u bolt the motor to is pitched to the right or left (depends ) how u look at it font or back , anyhow do you have to shim the motor ? or was it built wrong ? or is this normal ? 2? (buck Huck) what does it mean , lmao im new to all of this thanks for any fb
That's how it's supposed to be. Just bolt the motor on.

The term Buck Huck is for the $100 41" Edge. Buck ($100) Huck.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:53 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,154 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys! I have 2 ? so as i have been building my edge i have noticed that were u bolt the motor to is pitched to the right or left (depends ) how u look at it font or back , anyhow do you have to shim the motor ? or was it built wrong ? or is this normal ? 2? (buck Huck) what does it mean , lmao im new to all of this thanks for any fb
Normal....there is usually a bit of right and down thrust in planes.

To "huck" is "to throw with wild abandon".... and when the 41" Edge first came out, it was called the "Buck Huck" as it cost $99.99 (now $109.99) so basically one hundred bucks, the 48" is the "Buck Huck" 1.5 as it was 150 bucks....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:45 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
Check out some of Dave Bloomer's videos. That guy has constant gale winds, and still hucks it like he stole it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Heck, when it gets windy, that's when I fly my "buck Huck"!!!

SteveT
That's really cool that you guys can pull it off. Don't get me wrong, I take pride in flying in these kind of winds. Most in our field don't. Just not a nice plane like the Edge... I know what would make me fly much better in the wind! A second Edge in the hangar.. Tomorrow is supposed to be just as windy so lets see, maybe i'll be tempted...
Too bad you can search a thread for attachments but not for videos. I am with tdh, if someone has a link to the video handy it would be great...
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:22 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
That's really cool that you guys can pull it off. Don't get me wrong, I take pride in flying in these kind of winds. Most in our field don't. Just not a nice plane like the Edge... I know what would make me fly much better in the wind! A second Edge in the hangar.. Tomorrow is supposed to be just as windy so lets see, maybe i'll be tempted...
Too bad you can search a thread for attachments but not for videos. I am with tdh, if someone has a link to the video handy it would be great...
Don't let the comments push you too far beyond your ability (while alone). If you don't think you can land in the conditions have someone there to help. It's good to stretch yourself but to "Huck" or takeoff is always an option, landings are mandatory! Would hate to have you succumb to Internet peer pressure only to crackup a nice plane. Good luck.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:34 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
F-27C is a Stryker and I have flown mine in 35 mph winds. I call it sky surfing. MPX FunJet I had was great in the wind too, at least till I smashed it doing a low inverted pass at about 70 mph. Once in the air the Edge handles the wind nicely I think, and a steady wind sure makes landing easier IMO. What scares me is once it is on the ground the wind beats it up pretty badly. While changing batteries I had mine get flipped upside down by a sudden gust from the side. Cracked the canopy and busted up the left wingtip a bit. The other day it was so windy that between flights while changing batteries I set the TX down in front and looped the strap over the prop to keep it from being blown backwards.

Oh and yes your number of landings should roughly equal your number of takeoffs. My best advice is if you have any doubts or bad feeling before takeoff then don't do it. Almost every time I have crashed I had that gut feeling and ignored it.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:07 AM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
so as i have been building my edge i have noticed that were u bolt the motor to is pitched to the right or left (depends ) how u look at it font or back , anyhow do you have to shim the motor ? or was it built wrong ? or is this normal ? 2? (buck Huck) what does it mean , lmao im new to all of this thanks for any fb
We design them that way. It counters spiral slipstream. In most cases, we're averaging the prop diameter hoping that the pilot follows our recommended KV and cell count ending up with the prop diameter and RPM that we tested with. Works better that way... Good luck with your new model!

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:02 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26mx View Post
We design them that way. It counters spiral slipstream. In most cases, we're averaging the prop diameter hoping that the pilot follows our recommended KV and cell count ending up with the prop diameter and RPM that we tested with. Works better that way... Good luck with your new model!

Scott
Scott - I'm in the process of buying a 71" Slick that I think you built. Know a guy named Hap Maguire?? I'm buying his beautiful fantasy blue 71" Slick. Can't wait to get it! Hopefully you left some good mojo on that plane for me!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:17 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,004 Posts
Quote:

Scott
Hey Scott,
I'm ready to pull the trigger on the 58" slick on sale. The hacker A49-12S is out of stock and some say the A40 10 S is a little weak. I want this this to have plenty of punch. I have an 80A esc and wanted input on motors. I'd like to stay with a 4S setup. What do you think. Love the 48" Edge! Hope things at work are good. Thanks
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:12 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Scott - I'm in the process of buying a 71" Slick that I think you built. Know a guy named Hap Maguire?? I'm buying his beautiful fantasy blue 71" Slick. Can't wait to get it! Hopefully you left some good mojo on that plane for me!
I do know Hap! I believe that model is a 70" (the 71 is just a little bit newer...), but has plenty of good mojo left...

Tell him I said Hi!

Scott
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:16 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Hey Scott,
I'm ready to pull the trigger on the 58" slick on sale. The hacker A49-12S is out of stock and some say the A40 10 S is a little weak. I want this this to have plenty of punch. I have an 80A esc and wanted input on motors. I'd like to stay with a 4S setup. What do you think. Love the 48" Edge! Hope things at work are good. Thanks
The 10S should work fine on 4S. At my altitude, I'd have to prop it up a bit, but it should be fine lower on a 14x7 or so. I guess it really depends on how much power you feel like you need in the 14-15" prop diameter. Personally, I generally like 150 watts per pound as a target. There are a lot of pilots that prefer 200+, but I find that to be hard to manage for my flying style. To be honest, I think either will be fine.

Scott
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,004 Posts
Thanks. I think the Edge has the 150 ish range and is more than enough.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:45 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
I do know Hap! I believe that model is a 70" (the 71 is just a little bit newer...), but has plenty of good mojo left...

Tell him I said Hi!

Scott
You are correct... I'm just too accustomed to saying 71"!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:29 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,699 Posts
So just in case you were wondering how the day went.. I was the only one (nuts enough?) at the field which is rare for a Sunday. It was funny, I was getting calls saying "your are not flying are you?" If you guys didn't motivate me, I probably wouldn't have. The winds were at 20 to 29 mph. A new high wind record for me.
You will be disappointed to know I didn't fly the Edge. However, I am happy I didn't. I realized/concluded that "landing in [high wind] is a maneuver" which requires practice much like anything else (sound familiar? ). I guess we are spoiled down here as this is only the 2nd or 3rd high wind flying day this year so you could say we are not used to it. Today though was much less than a blur than yesterday. I went through 9 packs specifically to practice landings. I thought I would have to dart it in, and in fact it was the opposite (3D-ish?). It required very careful management of the throttle and a lot more attention/concentration. I left the field much more comfortable. Knowing how much better the Edge flies than the Mosa II, I can totally see now how it is doable (especially if wind is a normal occurrence for you). Turns out flying in wind like that can actually be fun such as when the Plane take off after 2 feet vertically up... It is scary tough when on final approach the wind bounces the Plane 10 feet up and down.
Fly low, [and in high wind..]
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:36 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
So just in case you were wondering how the day went.. I was the only one (nuts enough?) at the field which is rare for a Sunday. It was funny, I was getting calls saying "your are not flying are you?" If you guys didn't motivate me, I probably wouldn't have. The winds were at 20 to 29 mph. A new high wind record for me.
You will be disappointed to know I didn't fly the Edge. However, I am happy I didn't. I realized/concluded that "landing in [high wind] is a maneuver" which requires practice much like anything else (sound familiar? ). I guess we are spoiled down here as this is only the 2nd or 3rd high wind flying day this year so you could say we are not used to it. Today though was much less than a blur than yesterday. I went through 9 packs specifically to practice landings. I thought I would have to dart it in, and in fact it was the opposite (3D-ish?). It required very careful management of the throttle and a lot more attention/concentration. I left the field much more comfortable. Knowing how much better the Edge flies than the Mosa II, I can totally see now how it is doable (especially if wind is a normal occurrence for you). Turns out flying in wind like that can actually be fun such as when the Plane take off after 2 feet vertically up... It is scary tough when on final approach the wind bounces the Plane 10 feet up and down.
Fly low, [and in high wind..]
I've just recently learned to enjoy flying in the wind. I just have to change up my style a little. My normal style is low and slow with lots of harriers and hovers but that isn't very well suited for windy days (although it is fun torque rolling while the wind pushed the plane across the field) so I do my high energy stuff and stationary rollers (pointing into the wind).

I'm not sure if you harrier land any but if you don't then go ahead and master that one on a non-windy day or two of practice. Once you've got that one in your tool belt then windy day landings will just be almost comical... if you can harrier land then you can honestly land a plane wherever you want - ESPECIALLY when it's windy... just point that thing into the wind and guide her down on the spot.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:51 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,699 Posts
Thanks for the advise. Yes, the thought crossed my mind. However, since I am still working on mastering it on the Edge on non-windy days, I decided not to attempt it on an inferior Plane for the first time on a very windy day. But even that one, you could see it was "dying" to elevator down and I had to fight it...
It feels great to stop being per-occupied with how windy it is or may be... Its hard to describe, I just feel like the wind shackles have been cut...
RCG Plus Member