HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:06 AM
Russian Federation, Voronezhskaya oblast, Voronezh
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
Marco, I've got Slick 59" two month ago and since than I fly Edge very rarely. One thing Edge does better - KE spin. Slick needs more attention in KE flight, but it flies much more precise and KE loops are much tighter. First time I've done torque roll (more then 2 turns) was on Slick. Still can't do it on Edge. May be 58" Edge will be the best choice - I heard good things about it. Slick is weird in some maneuvers, but when you got it, it feels ok.
AlexGold is offline Find More Posts by AlexGold
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:27 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Watching turnerm and his 51 has all but made my mind up for me. As far a pure looks go the 58" Edge in red wins hands down IMO. A while to go yet so as usual I'm going to research this to death before I decide.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:29 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
With the current sale its hard to pass on a 59" Slick, can be had for cheaper than the 51" plus $20 per airframe goes to support team USA at the world finals F3A competition. I couldn't resist so I got the 59" and a 48" SV (already have the 51" Slick.) I wonder how much different the 57" Extra is compared to my classic 55 SHP?
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:18 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Let us know how you like the 59" when you get it together. And yes that is a sweet price.

Did 6 flights this morning after it warmed up a bit. Wonderful time for me and my co-pilot/dog. No more babying the rebuilt Edge. I thrashed it pretty hard and was very pleased with the results. Not sure why but this Edge enters a KE Spin much easier now and spins harder and faster than either of the other two Edges did. I can get about 9 rotations from about the same altitude that I was getting 5 to 6 rotations with the others. Flying weight with 2200 30c is 45 ounces, about an ounce heavier than Edge #3 with the same gear installed. Must be the extra balsa, glue and about 3 coats of paint on the cowling. The only other difference I can see is when I set up the aileron linkages in the rebuild both ailerons are up by about 2 degrees from being flush with the wings with the stick and trim centered. I noticed this on the re-maiden and was going to fix it but I forgot to before leaving this morning. Perhaps I am getting a slight spoileron affect? Think I am going to leave it alone for now.

The longer wire gear I made has ended up being a mixed blessing. It gives me the prop clearance I was wanting but actually bends easier than the stock gear in a less than perfect landing. I attached a rubber band between the two legs to keep it from spreading but that make a horrendous moaning sound a high speed.I thought my motor was coming apart.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:42 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Crap I killed the thread again!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:59 AM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,669 Posts
Yes, you talking about all this flying you're doing, and me doing all the non-flying I've been doing.... :P
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:05 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Thanks Quad for posting, I thought I had ran everyone off again with my mindless babble.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:07 AM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
Crap I killed the thread again!
Charging some 2200's now.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:23 AM
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Sep 2012
170 Posts
im still building my edge , motor and ESC should be here monday, even it was done i still cant fly , due to the stupid wind
teddy5085 is offline Find More Posts by teddy5085
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:34 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,992 Posts
Marco maybe you are getting a bit more down elevator throw on this one? That would explain tighter/faster KE spin.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:10 AM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,467 Posts
I'm hoping I can get some flights done this afternoon. Man, I love the motrolfly! Runs soooooo smooth!

EDIT: Scratch that. I just checked the weather. There's severe thunderstorm warning with gusting winds up to 26mph.
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:38 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy5085 View Post
im still building my edge , motor and ESC should be here monday, even it was done i still cant fly , due to the stupid wind
Not very windy today...rain let up, too bad its not here!
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:46 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,593 Posts
I chickened out and didn't fly the Edge today in 20mph winds. I flew the Mosa II instead and tbh I wouldn't want to subject the Edge to it... On the second landing, after flaring and right before touchdown about 10 inches from the ground, the wind changed and flipped it (of course no damage, its a foamy). It kind of scary how badly it gets jerked around in a wind like that. I really really didn't feel like crashing the Edge. Like I said I I chickened out.... Tomorrow is another day...

Alex, I am excited for you to get the Edge... I can't wait to see what you think..
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:28 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
No shame in chickening out in 20 mph wind. Better a scuffed foamy than a busted Edge. 20 and above the only thing I fly is my old trusty F-27C.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:48 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,593 Posts
haha, thanks! What's F-27C? Is that a Striker? Funny you should say that. My buddy took out his rusted Striker to fly today (and we were the only ones at the field). It handled the wind better than the Mosa (which makes sense). I would love to see a video of someone flying an Edge-like Plane in a wind like that to see how it behaves. It is hard to imagine how you can be in a post stall environment without any momentum without being knocked over....
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member