HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:44 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Thanks to all for the praise and encouragement, you guys are the best. During my 3 week Edgeless period I flew my crappy old PZ Extra 300 about 5 times and that just made me realize how good 3DHS planes are by comparison.

Alex yes I have tried and love the Xoar in 14x7 still have one to use in the package.

teddy you gonna love that plane. There is a no glue mod for the gear that many of us have used, myself included.

I finally installed the extended wire gear I made a few months ago and so far so good. It is about 3/4 of an inch longer than stock. Along with the slightly taller Du-Bro wheels I use gives me almost an inch more prop clearance.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:39 AM
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Sep 2012
170 Posts
hello guys are there any other mods,tips,tricks other then the landing gear ? thanks for any fb
teddy5085 is offline Find More Posts by teddy5085
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:47 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
There is a simplified pull/pull setup for the rudder that works great. I have done this on all three Edges. davebloomer turned me on to it. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5450
Much easier and quicker, probably saves 1/2 ounce in weight too.
I would suggest leaving the balsa gear fairings off too as the first time you bend the gear back the upper rear corner is going to make a hole in the covering and the wood underneath. Ask me how I know. Just accept the fact that no matter how gently you land eventually the gear wire is going to bend. When it does reach down bend it back straight and fly again. The tail wheel wire is probably going to bend too and after a few times of straightening it back it is going to break so buy or make some spares. Again ask me how I know this. All 3 of my Edges have flown best with the CG around 80mm from the leading edge of the wing. Get 6 volts to the servos if possible with your ESC, it makes a noticeable difference in overall handling. Don't cheap out on your servos, HS-65MG not HG or anything HK or Tower Pro. Savox 0255 digital MG servos are what I use now and they are great, almost twice the torque of HS-65. If I think of anything else I will post it.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:05 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
997 Posts
I agree with most of this. I haven't had mine for long but I can certainly agree on servos. I went cheap with Emax mg and they are great for other applications but these surfaces are big and susceptible to flutter ("ask me how I know!"). I had bad flutter w ailerons on first flt- lucky I didn't lose a wing. Changed to HS 65 MG all around and no problems. Haven't seen the pull pull mod and I'm hangin on with the strut fairings for now. Just being careful on the bending. Did have to repair a wheel hub? Must have had a side load on that one. Still tweaking out the cg. I use several diff bat combos including parallel with a 1300 and 1500. It does seem like the 85-80 mark works best. Good luck. Great plane.
dth7 is online now Find More Posts by dth7
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:07 AM
Joined Feb 2012
997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
There is a simplified pull/pull setup for the rudder that works great. I have done this on all three Edges. davebloomer turned me on to it. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5450
Much easier and quicker, probably saves 1/2 ounce in weight too.
I would suggest leaving the balsa gear fairings off too as the first time you bend the gear back the upper rear corner is going to make a hole in the covering and the wood underneath. Ask me how I know. Just accept the fact that no matter how gently you land eventually the gear wire is going to bend. When it does reach down bend it back straight and fly again. The tail wheel wire is probably going to bend too and after a few times of straightening it back it is going to break so buy or make some spares. Again ask me how I know this. All 3 of my Edges have flown best with the CG around 80mm from the leading edge of the wing. Get 6 volts to the servos if possible with your ESC, it makes a noticeable difference in overall handling. Don't cheap out on your servos, HS-65MG not HG or anything HK or Tower Pro. Savox 0255 digital MG servos are what I use now and they are great, almost twice the torque of HS-65. If I think of anything else I will post it.
How much do you pay for and where do you find the Savoxs? Also where do you get your xoar props from. I assume u are using 14x7s. Thanks
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:30 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
http://www.savoxusa.com/Savox_Plane_Servos_s/13.htm
Xoar came from my LHS.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:52 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
How much do you pay for and where do you find the Savoxs? Also where do you get your xoar props from. I assume u are using 14x7s. Thanks
they are about $32-34. they work great and are 54 oz-inch of torqe and .11 at 6.0 volts.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Feb 2012
997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
Thanks to all for the praise and encouragement, you guys are the best. During my 3 week Edgeless period I flew my crappy old PZ Extra 300 about 5 times and that just made me realize how good 3DHS planes are by comparison.

Alex yes I have tried and love the Xoar in 14x7 still have one to use in the package.

teddy you gonna love that plane. There is a no glue mod for the gear that many of us have used, myself included.

I finally installed the extended wire gear I made a few months ago and so far so good. It is about 3/4 of an inch longer than stock. Along with the slightly taller Du-Bro wheels I use gives me almost an inch more prop clearance.
Thanks for the servo info. What size wheel are u using? 2.5 lightwt?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined Feb 2012
997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer View Post
Hey Marco I'm bored at work and slept in yesterday till like 1pm so I can't sleep tonight. since I was bored and awake at 4 am I took a bunch of pics of my setups for u including the pull pull u inquired about VIA pm. Please forgive the lousy cell phone shots. Here's what i'm trying to show in each picture. Pic 1) vent hole Pic 2)pull pull from top 3) pull pull side view 4) pull pull to rudder 5) elevator servo direction (dont even know if it matters) 6) My favorite battery position for CG. you can also see my ESC mounting location in that pic. pic 789 are showing throws that I get.

please ignore the loose aileron wires in there. They aren't like that when I fly.
Dave where does the cg fall (mm from leading edge)? I haven't put my batt that far back and am wondering. I run about 80-85 mm but the batt is farther fwd (2200 40c). I know the plane setup and batt wts differ, that's why the location ?
Thanks.
Also, do you just run the pull pull through ez connectors at the servo? Eliminating the loop and couplers at that end. Love those throws! I'll have to look closer at mine with my HS 65s. What servos are you using?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:06 AM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy5085 View Post
hello guys are there any other mods,tips,tricks other then the landing gear ? thanks for any fb
If you are going with the pull-pull mod, just be careful not to over tighten the screws. I tightened it too much that 5 wiggles by hand and the wire got cut in half... I know, you have to be really special to pull that off, but I figured I mentioned it just in case you are special like me...
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:26 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Currently have 2.5 inch Du-Bro light wheels. I wanted 3" but LHS was out at the time. I had one of the stock wheels snap the spokes off at the hub on what was by my standards a fairly gentle landing. Had to use CA on the Du-Bro tires to keep them on the rim.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:27 PM
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Sep 2012
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
If you are going with the pull-pull mod, just be careful not to over tighten the screws. I tightened it too much that 5 wiggles by hand and the wire got cut in half... I know, you have to be really special to pull that off, but I figured I mentioned it just in case you are special like me...
Hey thanks guys!!! for all the advice , u guys rock
teddy5085 is offline Find More Posts by teddy5085
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:30 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
+1 I did this too, cut the wire in half with the set screw, I also didn't like how hard it was to tighten the set screw, with just a wire going through the quick connector there is nothing to hold when you tighten the screw. But it sure was easier getting it all set up and no worries about making them too long
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:35 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,011 Posts
I recommend installing the pull/pull per the instructions.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:35 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,640 Posts
Does anyone have a 48 Edge and a 51 Slick?
If so, I'd really appreciate you posting a pic of them side by side!
Thanks!!!
Alex
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer