HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:55 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,136 Posts
Hi dth7.

First... congrats on getting back into the hobby and choosing the best
Second: no brakes. You always want that prop turning on a 3d plane.
Third: 14x8 is too much prop.
Fourth: Stay away from Master Airscrew on 3d planes. I'd rather use them to stir paint! If you want a wood prop go with a xoar, falcon, or protek.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:38 AM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,734 Posts
14x8 will indeed quickly burn up recommended motor and esc. Ask me how I accidentally know. Not sure how that prop got in my toolbox anyway.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:57 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer View Post
14x8 will indeed quickly burn up recommended motor and esc. Ask me how I accidentally know. Not sure how that prop got in my toolbox anyway.
I put it on the watt meter and I knew at 1/2 throttle this thing is coming off!
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:01 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Hi dth7.

First... congrats on getting back into the hobby and choosing the best
Second: no brakes. You always want that prop turning on a 3d plane.
Third: 14x8 is too much prop.
Fourth: Stay away from Master Airscrew on 3d planes. I'd rather use them to stir paint! If you want a wood prop go with a xoar, falcon, or protek.
I pretty much knew that about the brake, just "hucking" it out there! Also I knew right away the 14x8 was too much. I did put the MAS 13x6 on my Dynam Pitts and it really performs great with it. I did have to add more tape than normal to balance. Is quality control your reason to stay away? What's the best source for the props you recommend. Trying to not break the bank on them. I haven't had problems dinging any.
14x7 APC seems to do real nice with the Omega 130 and 3s 1800-2800 30-40c- thoughts?
I tried the 13x6 and its ok for sport but 3 D was a bit marginal. The thing goes fast enough with the 14x7!
Thanks.
Last edited by dth7; Oct 10, 2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:15 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Brake off for me. A prop spinning with the throttle cut has more drag than a fixed one and thus makes a better airbrake. Headed out in a few minutes to do the re-maiden of Edge #2. Only mild butterflies at this point but wish me luck anyway.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:32 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Good luck and good job on the repairs. Fly low!
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:29 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
I'm back and did not need a trash bag or a broom to get the Edge back home! Wind was a bit out of my comfort zone at 10 to 15 mph but it at least was coming from the same direction the whole time. First flight I trimmed it out easily and had to restrain myself from being rough on it. Half way through flight 2 I was doing pop tops and spins. Too windy for my taste to try much else. Seemed to fly as well as any of the three I have owned. Did 4 batteries and each landing due to the wind I pulled off a nice Davebloomer zero forward motion touchdown. Great time and wonderful to have a flying Edge again.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:32 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
I'm back and did not need a trash bag or a broom to get the Edge back home! Wind was a bit out of my comfort zone at 10 to 15 mph but it at least was coming from the same direction the whole time. First flight I trimmed it out easily and had to restrain myself from being rough on it. Half way through flight 2 I was doing pop tops and spins. Too windy for my taste to try much else. Seemed to fly as well as any of the three I have owned. Did 4 batteries and each landing due to the wind I pulled off a nice Davebloomer zero forward motion touchdown. Great time and wonderful to have a flying Edge again.
Glad to hear it was a success. I've found that all my repaired 3DHS planes seem to fly just as good as they did before I damaged them.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:14 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,136 Posts
Great job Marco!

I managed to get 4 packs through my edge this morning as well. Wednesday is my day that I don't have class. Usually it is too busy with thing I need to catch up on but since I was home with my 2 yr old boy Cole I decided to take him out flying for an hour. We had a great time
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:11 PM
Russian Federation, Voronezhskaya oblast, Voronezh
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
Great you are back, Marco! I've forgot, have you tried XOAR prop? You should buy one!
AlexGold is offline Find More Posts by AlexGold
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:11 PM
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Sep 2012
170 Posts
eeeeeeeeeehawwww just got the new edge today got the landing gear glued in but that was all for now time for bed , man cant wait to fly it !!!!!
teddy5085 is offline Find More Posts by teddy5085
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:12 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,136 Posts
doh... oh well too late. shouldn't have glued that in. May your landings always be smooth and on pavement...
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
doh... oh well too late. shouldn't have glued that in. May your landings always be smooth and on pavement...
Is there a mod I missed on the landing gear? I blew out a rim today. I didn't have any 2.5" wheels handy so I tried epoxying the wheel back. Seems OK.

That wire is pretty soft, double edge (no pun!) sword, good for the rough ones but not so hot on long grass. I have a nice field with thin grass and pavement to use, good thing.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:31 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth7 View Post
Is there a mod I missed on the landing gear? I blew out a rim today. I didn't have any 2.5" wheels handy so I tried epoxying the wheel back. Seems OK.

That wire is pretty soft, double edge (no pun!) sword, good for the rough ones but not so hot on long grass. I have a nice field with thin grass and pavement to use, good thing.
LG mod is to install the wire in the slot......no epoxy. Next insert the wooden triangle block in to the slot and make sure everything is seated. Use screws to secure the LG to the frame. This mod makes it much easier to replace the wire should you ever need to.
Capt. Roll is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:39 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,136 Posts
I make him concerned about it etc. but I have many many flights on my edge and I'm not planning to redo the gear any time soon. But I fly off of pavement at my club.