SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:56 AM
I live my life 12oz at a time
arnav's Avatar
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy5085 View Post
anyone have any thoughts on the tgy-210Dmh mg servo compared to the hitech mg 65 ??? other then its 4g heaver ?? x 4 servos = 16g to airframe would it be noticeable to a newbie such as my self?? thanks for any fb
If you like me, and don't have years of experience and this is your first 3dhs plane, you have a lot more to gain by getting the recommended and most common setup vs. the perceived money saved on other servos. If you experience any issues, you will be able to get much more meaningful help vs. if you use components no one else uses. If you experience challenges with setting up the control surfaces, if you try maneuvers and don't get satisfactory results, you don't want replies such as "well, did you use hitec? That is what most of us use." I am not saying those are the only servos that work, many use other servos as well, but given where we are, we are better off with the recommended setup. I know spending $30 on a servo sounds like a lot. Especially coming from the "RTF" world (which by the way, I think you learn very quickly there is no such thing) where for $125 you can get an entire Plane. I remember when I asked for replacement servo recommendation for my trainer, and someone recommended the hitecs, i thought he was nuts! $25 *4 for a plane I got for $50 on craigslist? So think of it as an investment. You would be able to move them to other frames vs. that $3 servos that caused your Plane to crash or why after a while your plane doesn't feel accurate anymore. The frame probably accounts for only to a 1/3 or a 1/4 of the overall cost of the plane. It just the way it is (if you really want to enjoy the plane for what it is and not jeopardize it).
The Edge was the first plane I actually put good brand name servos in. I can tell you it makes a world of difference. Go to any of your other planes and look closely at the control surfaces. I bet you will find they don't center each time the same way...
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:13 AM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
If you like me, and don't have years of experience and this is your first 3dhs plane, you have a lot more to gain by getting the recommended and most common setup vs. the perceived money saved on other servos. If you experience any issues, you will be able to get much more meaningful help vs. if you use components no one else uses. If you experience challenges with setting up the control surfaces, if you try maneuvers and don't get satisfactory results, you don't want replies such as "well, did you use hitec? That is what most of us use." I am not saying those are the only servos that work, many use other servos as well, but given where we are, we are better off with the recommended setup. I know spending $30 on a servo sounds like a lot. Especially coming from the "RTF" world (which by the way, I think you learn very quickly there is no such thing) where for $125 you can get an entire Plane. I remember when I asked for replacement servo recommendation for my trainer, and someone recommended the hitecs, i thought he was nuts! $25 *4 for a plane I got for $50 on craigslist? So think of it as an investment. You would be able to move them to other frames vs. that $3 servos that caused your Plane to crash or why after a while your plane doesn't feel accurate anymore. The frame probably accounts for only to a 1/3 or a 1/4 of the overall cost of the plane. It just the way it is (if you really want to enjoy the plane for what it is and not jeopardize it).
The Edge was the first plane I actually put good brand name servos in. I can tell you it makes a world of difference. Go to any of your other planes and look closely at the control surfaces. I bet you will find they don't center each time the same way...
Well said. I fully agree!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:36 PM
Team Hillbilly
tominator06's Avatar
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Day off today so I figured I would get a few flights in. This is my first flight of the day in some wind. Lost a servo gear set on the second flight. I totally forgot I threw a 65hb in one aileron a while back. I have replacement mg's. Ill be flying her again this afternoon.
3dhs 48 Edge - Windy Huck (5 min 1 sec)
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:26 PM
Registered User
United States, MN, Maple Grove
Joined Jun 2011
42 Posts
Servo's.

I had 2 left over HT 65MG's from a 450 heli which I used on the Ailerons. However I ended up purchasing the higher torque Savox 255MG Digital Servos for the elevator and rudder. I've been happy with the setup thus far.

Mike
mrc3 is offline Find More Posts by mrc3
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:41 PM
inverted-i-fly
3drcparts's Avatar
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
Day off today so I figured I would get a few flights in. This is my first flight of the day in some wind. Lost a servo gear set on the second flight. I totally forgot I threw a 65hb in one aileron a while back. I have replacement mg's. Ill be flying her again this afternoon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkQpC5xhb3k
nice windy rollers
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:50 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Pancaked mine the other day after losing it in the sun. This is one tough plane - the only things I thought I needed to replace was the cowl and the prop. Unfortunately, the cowls are out of stock. So I broke out the fiberglass tape and epoxy. Didn't turn out too bad, I think. She's ready for this weekend - will be mindful of the sun this time.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:54 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,049 Posts
Good job.....Can't see any problems from here!! (of course I'm a few hundred miles from you)....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:56 PM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
Motojunk's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
685 Posts
Heading out to the field in a little bit and I'm gonna try out the SFG's from my recently unexpectedly retired MXS. Hopefully it makes for some tighter KE loops...we shall see :-) If I can I'll get some video.
Motojunk is offline Find More Posts by Motojunk
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:49 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Good job.....Can't see any problems from here!! (of course I'm a few hundred miles from you)....

SteveT
Thanks. It's a relief to knock the new plane looks out of it without totally destroying it - now I have a balsa plane I can get brave with. I should be learning a lot faster now - hopefully it's not about repairs.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:00 PM
inverted-i-fly
3drcparts's Avatar
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
Pancaked mine the other day after losing it in the sun. This is one tough plane - the only things I thought I needed to replace was the cowl and the prop. Unfortunately, the cowls are out of stock. So I broke out the fiberglass tape and epoxy. Didn't turn out too bad, I think. She's ready for this weekend - will be mindful of the sun this time.
great job, looks new from here, what kind of tape are you using, I really need to pick up a roll
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:06 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
great job, looks new from here, what kind of tape are you using, I really need to pick up a roll
I use the fiberglass tape they use for drywall seams. The sticky back makes it easier to use than fiberglass cloth. You don't have to use as much epoxy either.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:15 PM
inverted-i-fly
3drcparts's Avatar
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
I use the fiberglass tape they use for drywall seams. The sticky back makes it easier to use than fiberglass cloth. You don't have to use as much epoxy either.
that is what I thought it was, and you can get it at any hardware store, thanks

What paint did you use?
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:24 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
that is what I thought it was, and you can get it at any hardware store, thanks

What paint did you use?
I used some Rustoleum real orange from the Home Depot.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:31 PM
Registered User
teddy5085's Avatar
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Sep 2012
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
I use the fiberglass tape they use for drywall seams. The sticky back makes it easier to use than fiberglass cloth. You don't have to use as much epoxy either.
wow that turned really good nice work
teddy5085 is offline Find More Posts by teddy5085
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:42 PM
Registered User
teddy5085's Avatar
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Sep 2012
170 Posts
if i new how to put pics on here id post some pic of yak 54 i smushed in the ground a few weeks ago
teddy5085 is offline Find More Posts by teddy5085
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product 3DHS 41" Edge "$99 Buck Huck" Ducati Mechanic 3D Flying 17299 Mar 27, 2012 04:37 PM
Sold 3dhs 41' edge buck huck bnf JBuck Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 7 Jul 02, 2011 07:58 AM
Sold 3DHS 41" EDGE - ORANGE - 99 Buck Huck 6L6Amp Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 14 Aug 22, 2010 08:45 PM