HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:52 AM
Russian Federation, Voronezhskaya oblast, Voronezh
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
Was not flying my Edge for a month. With a little baby I have a little time after work to fly only one plane. So I chosen to fly 59" Slick for last month. Now I'm on the vacation, helping my wife at home, but she was kind and allowed me fly yesterday for half a day. So I took everything that can fly with me and went to the field. First I was flown 59 Slick and then I switched to Edge. I was a little bit dissapointed. Ofcourse, it did insane KE spins and blenders, but... It's boring after big size. And I decided to test 4S setup. I've installed 13x6 XOAR and Zippy Compact 2200mAh 4S 25C, that weights 209g (My setup Omega 130g., Ice50Lite). So I've not found big difference as I added only 32g of weight (I use Zippy Compact 2200mAh 3S 35C that weights 177g.) And I want to say WOW! This setup rocks! Plane became a rocket! Still it can't do a pop top - it just stops at the top and that's all. I've got 830W and 55A in static. Everything was warm but ok. Crazy power, but I liked it!
AlexGold is offline Find More Posts by AlexGold
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:25 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGold View Post
Was not flying my Edge for a month. With a little baby I have a little time after work to fly only one plane. So I chosen to fly 59" Slick for last month. Now I'm on the vacation, helping my wife at home, but she was kind and allowed me fly yesterday for half a day. So I took everything that can fly with me and went to the field. First I was flown 59 Slick and then I switched to Edge. I was a little bit dissapointed. Ofcourse, it did insane KE spins and blenders, but... It's boring after big size. And I decided to test 4S setup. I've installed 13x6 XOAR and Zippy Compact 2200mAh 4S 25C, that weights 209g (My setup Omega 130g., Ice50Lite). So I've not found big difference as I added only 32g of weight (I use Zippy Compact 2200mAh 3S 35C that weights 177g.) And I want to say WOW! This setup rocks! Plane became a rocket! Still it can't do a pop top - it just stops at the top and that's all. I've got 830W and 55A in static. Everything was warm but ok. Crazy power, but I liked it!
I recently tried a 4s setup and I didn't like it very much. I prefer the super floaty 3s setup.

But I know what you mean - after flying larger planes the little Edge can feel a bit different for sure.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:46 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,136 Posts
Alex I have felt the same way at times. The trick for me is just to remember what the little edge is good at and enjoy pushing the envelope with those things. Use it to practice getting really good control over KE flight and bring it down low and practice torque rolling. It is also one of the best planes I have ever flown for inverted harrier. Use it to build skills and push it harder... that is what made it more fun for me
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:24 AM
Russian Federation, Voronezhskaya oblast, Voronezh
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
Yes, I agree that some tricks are easier to practice with Edge, but the first plane I've made torque roll with was 59 Slick
AlexGold is offline Find More Posts by AlexGold
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:05 PM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I consider myself pretty lucky. I know that DaveBloomer also has to deal with your kind of winds too. I used to avoid flying in the wind but lately I've learned to just enjoy it. But my flying style changes a bit when flying in wind versus flying in calm conditions. Although you'd probably laugh at my definition of wind! I consider anything 10mph and above to be pretty windy.

I've flown in winds up to 20mph or so and had fun with it but I do prefer anything 5-6mph or less. Recently I was doing stationary rollers into the wind as a freak storm came out of nowhere during a flight. It was pretty sweet! Also, those down wind tumbles can be insanely violent (with the Slick)! But my favorite was probably just getting into a good torque roll just a few inches off the ground and letting the wind carry it down the street!!
There's definitely a fun factor when flying in wind. It not always the ideal conditions for confident "fly-low" style, but fun nevertheless. E.g. doing stationary inverted harriers in the wind or crawl speed KE, or like you said stationary rollers. .
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:48 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,136 Posts
I just put 3 flights on my edge. I'm focusing on getting more aggressive with my KE. I'm trying to do big KE circles and fast low passes. I am completely confident making low and slow passes but I'd like to get better at doing them faster.

In the meantime I got to see a guy ditch a 40% hangar-9 yak today. He is sponsored by horizon and DA. He was practicing a freestyle routine for the TAS when about halfway through in a long down-line the DA 170 died. They are writing the plane off as a total loss to the air-frame. You could tell what being sponsored is all about though because while that would be devastating for most of us they just sort of brushed it off since they get air-frames and engine parts at such a deep discount. They were more put off by the inconvenient time to have it happen. He is no longer going to try for the aerobatic freestyle competition. Instead he'll just participate in IMAC.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:46 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I just put 3 flights on my edge. I'm focusing on getting more aggressive with my KE. I'm trying to do big KE circles and fast low passes. I am completely confident making low and slow passes but I'd like to get better at doing them faster.

In the meantime I got to see a guy ditch a 40% hangar-9 yak today. He is sponsored by horizon and DA. He was practicing a freestyle routine for the TAS when about halfway through in a long down-line the DA 170 died. They are writing the plane off as a total loss to the air-frame. You could tell what being sponsored is all about though because while that would be devastating for most of us they just sort of brushed it off since they get air-frames and engine parts at such a deep discount. They were more put off by the inconvenient time to have it happen. He is no longer going to try for the aerobatic freestyle competition. Instead he'll just participate in IMAC.
Still has to hurt to see a plane like that go in!!

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:31 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,136 Posts
ya it was tough... and I believe I mis-spoke about it being a yak. I think it was the sukhoi. I can't find a 40% yak on their website.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:21 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
ya it was tough... and I believe I mis-spoke about it being a yak. I think it was the sukhoi. I can't find a 40% yak on their website.
The operative word here being "WAS"...
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:23 PM
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Sep 2012
170 Posts
cant wate !! ordered mine last night , i hope i get some flight time before winter sets in. I do have a ? for anyone who is flyen one of these 48" edges do u have to have the hitec mg65 servos or r there cheaper ones out there that would work as well???? thank for any feed back on this o ya one more thing 3 cell or 4 cell, pros&cons would help as well thank again
teddy5085 is offline Find More Posts by teddy5085
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:53 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy5085 View Post
cant wate !! ordered mine last night , i hope i get some flight time before winter sets in. I do have a ? for anyone who is flyen one of these 48" edges do u have to have the hitec mg65 servos or r there cheaper ones out there that would work as well???? thank for any feed back on this o ya one more thing 3 cell or 4 cell, pros&cons would help as well thank again
Really....Hitec HS-65MGs are the way to go with the possible exception that a few people have used an HS-85MG on the rudder (not really needed)... Don't "cheap out" on servos as you will regret it, as the plane will not fly as well....and don't use nylon gear servos as they will strip, and you will probably lose a plane because of it...

3S is really all you need...but some people do like 4S.....but if you ware wanting to go the less expensive route, this is where you can save, as 3S packs are normally less expensive than 4S packs.

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:35 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
What Steve said.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:41 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,867 Posts
What Steve said.

Although, I've had a 65HB on the elevator for a while, it's survived 2 Edges, and is currently doing the dirty work in my EPP Yak.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:42 PM
United States, NJ, Hanover
Joined May 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Really....Hitec HS-65MGs are the way to go with the possible exception that a few people have used an HS-85MG on the rudder (not really needed)... Don't "cheap out" on servos as you will regret it, as the plane will not fly as well....and don't use nylon gear servos as they will strip, and you will probably lose a plane because of it...

3S is really all you need...but some people do like 4S.....but if you ware wanting to go the less expensive route, this is where you can save, as 3S packs are normally less expensive than 4S packs.

SteveT
I agree with this whole-heartedly, I'm using 65mg's and an 85mg on the rudder, and a 3s 2200 battery, and it is a perfect setup for 3d flying imo
jmart95 is offline Find More Posts by jmart95
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:50 PM
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Sep 2012
170 Posts
thank u very much steve for your time on this i will set it up with the 65mgs
teddy5085 is offline Find More Posts by teddy5085
RCG Plus Member