HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:35 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,874 Posts
Hi guys... I've been really busy lately since school started back up and the job recruiting season is in full swing. Between class, homework, and events I haven't had much time for anything else. On Thursday I drove over 700 miles.

Anyway... I got a chance to put three packs through my edge today and it was a real pleasure. It was windy though and my landings weren't the smoothest on the gravel road I was flying off of. Oh well, it beats nosing over in the thick grass...
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:36 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
You guys are so good it is depressing...
Maybe if I hang out here with you long enough it will start to rub off...

I watch these videos in awe.
It's all about logging lots of time on the simulator I know Tom puts in time. There is no substitute for practice.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:01 AM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,457 Posts
Yes, my geeky CRRCSIM is not going to cut it. I'm gonna get RF. I am an all Linux home so it requires some preparation.
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:54 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,303 Posts
I got two more flights on my "new to me" 1.5 huck. I was banging it around pretty hard with KE spins, waterfalls, IFS's etc, It's rocking the wings in elevators and high alpha flight.

I also managed to have the battery come lose and put a couple of small cracks in the canopy. apparently velcro + strap isn't enough.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:40 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
I got two more flights on my "new to me" 1.5 huck. I was banging it around pretty hard with KE spins, waterfalls, IFS's etc, It's rocking the wings in elevators and high alpha flight.

I also managed to have the battery come lose and put a couple of small cracks in the canopy. apparently velcro + strap isn't enough.
If you're getting wing rock in HA flight then try moving your CG up a little. Or at least make sure it's at least neutral and not aft. If that doesn't kill it then I crease you're rudder expo a bit. Also check to make sure your pull/pull cables aren't loose.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
+1 to what turnerm said above.

Other thing I typically do with wing rock issues is ensure the plane is trimmed both for inverted flight as well as level flight. I have a tendency to go too far back on 3D planes. Doing inverted and verifying it's relatively trim in relation to standard flight typically helps me.
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:27 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post

throw out the stock velcrow straps and go down to Walmart or the hardware store and get yourself some good straps there. the stock velcrow straps are useless and I have had them fail on me before in my 51'' slick.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:59 AM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
throw out the stock velcrow straps and go down to Walmart or the hardware store and get yourself some good straps there. the stock velcrow straps are useless and I have had them fail on me before in my 51'' slick.
I keep a roll of genuine Velcro on hand at all times. Soooo much more secure.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:19 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,285 Posts
I always use a strap, but if you glue down industrial velcro on the tray and put it on your batteries, I have never had a battery come lose, in fact I have done more damage to my planes trying to separate the battery from the tray.

for $20 this will last a few years
http://www.amazon.com/Velcro-Industr.../dp/B00006RSP1
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:13 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,350 Posts
For under $3 the blue stuff from HobbyKing is tough to beat. It is the best hook/loop fasterner I've ever used. Even the adhesive on the back is industrial strength.
Lardog is online now Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:54 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,874 Posts
I think if a battery came out when strapped in with just about any velcro there was something wrong with how it was put in. Make sure the strap is passing over the middle of the pack. I have never had a battery come loose and I've used all sorts of velcro straps.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:18 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,169 Posts
I like these Velcro "One Wrap" straps....they work great, you can cut them to the length you want....and for big batteries I just use two (plus of course Velcro on the bottom)... I buy mine at Home Depot....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:03 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
I like these Velcro "One Wrap" straps....they work great, you can cut them to the length you want....and for big batteries I just use two (plus of course Velcro on the bottom)... I buy mine at Home Depot....

SteveT
That's what I use too. But on this plane I have trouble getting the strap around the battery because mine go so far under the cowl.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:17 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
That's what I use too. But on this plane I have trouble getting the strap around the battery because mine go so far under the cowl.
I had that issue so I put a 7 gram lead weight as far forward as I could in the motor box. That allowed me to move the pack aft; much easier to strap down now.

The 48" Edge doesn't notice the additional 7 grams of weight.
Capt. Roll is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:46 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Roll View Post
I had that issue so I put a 7 gram lead weight as far forward as I could in the motor box. That allowed me to move the pack aft; much easier to strap down now.

The 48" Edge doesn't notice the additional 7 grams of weight.
Interesting. I might try that. Although I love how light and floaty it is now. But I guess 7 grams isn't much.