HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:57 AM
United States, MA, Medfield
Joined Jul 2010
854 Posts
I leave the carbon wing tube in my fuse when I carry my plane around. It's always almost sliding out. I keep thinking that one day I'll put it in the car and get home and realize that the tube is gone.

I'm trying to think of a way to add a bit of friction so it doesn't slide so easily?

Any ideas?

Maybe just a teeny piece of tape?
learn2turn is offline Find More Posts by learn2turn
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:41 AM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post
I leave the carbon wing tube in my fuse when I carry my plane around. It's always almost sliding out. I keep thinking that one day I'll put it in the car and get home and realize that the tube is gone.

I'm trying to think of a way to add a bit of friction so it doesn't slide so easily?

Any ideas?

I dont know why you couldnt use tape. Maybe one wrap of electrical tape or something. Surely have to exercise some care when "twisting" the tube in though.
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:09 AM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
529 Posts
Quote:

Any ideas?

Iron on a piece of covering around the diameter of the tube...........works good.
Capt. Roll is online now Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:17 AM
Byron C
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
729 Posts
Quote:

Any ideas?

For a quick fix I just used some regular Scotch tape on mine. And the CF tube was also a pretty loose fit in the wings as well, so I ended up using tape on the entire length of of it. The covering idea sounds like it would work really well too.
3DeltaFly is offline Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:46 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,341 Posts
It's just a 48", does it not fit in your car with the wings on? What about a single long M2 screw and fiber lock nut through the tube in the center of the fuse tube? I Have never heard of anyone doing that though.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:39 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
It's just a 48", does it not fit in your car with the wings on? What about a single long M2 screw and fiber lock nut through the tube in the center of the fuse tube? I Have never heard of anyone doing that though.
A screw would cause a weak place in the tube.....my thought would be to find a couple of thin "o"rings that you could slide onto the tube. If they are thin enough you could leave them on all the time. Otherwise, just remove for flight....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:02 PM
Custom Crasher
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer View Post
I ordered one at the end of march. maybe a little dramatic.
I won the plane in the spring and have not been able to order since, I don't see that as dramatic, I see it as a very long time.
lowkeylaidback is offline Find More Posts by lowkeylaidback
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:11 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,735 Posts
hope you're enjoying the plane. I need a motor box for mine.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:26 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Round 2

First a word from our Sponsors:

This weekend's flying is brought to you by: quadracer

Thanks for the CF rod. You made it happen. I don't know what you do for a living, but maybe you need to be either in the hobby or distribution business. This was the fastest part I ever got... I got it on Thursday!

Put three packs through the Edge today. Wanted to stay longer but it started raining... Flew pattern and had a blast. Got to love the hands off inverted (I am not joking). It probably have more to do with the CG versus the Plane itself, but still. It is a testament for a well tested setup, a good design/build and the fact you don't have to fiddle with CG, thrust angles, and trim for many flights to get there.
Landings were perfect so I feel like I redeemed myself. Winds started at 5mph and ended at 10.

One thing I noticed is that I need to add down elevator almost all the way until I flare to bring it down. Maybe it is a result of the CG being further back which would explain why no down elevator was required while inverted.

I can't wait to go again tomorrow and push it further...
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:58 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,976 Posts
You're most welcome, Arnav. Glad it got you back in the air.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:14 PM
FLY ANGRY
Joined Jul 2008
5,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
You're most welcome, Arnav. Glad it got you back in the air.
Thats a bad mother hucker right there!!!!
Paying it forward is awesome!!!!
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:21 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
I was huckin' up a storm with my Edge tonight out in font of my house. Before I knew it I had about 10 people watching. Got a round of applause at the end! And I thought all my neighbors thought I was just crazy but evidently they think this stuff I pretty cool after all.

I need to get a video up soon. I stumbled into a new little move that I like. I go into an upline and just before I stall I give full left rudder. When the wings get perpendicular I go full right rudder, full throttle and full down elevator to enter a KE spin-like maneuver but it ends I an inverted flat spin. But the whole time the plane really doesn't lose any altitude. Hard to explain... But me LIKEY!

I'm also getting more and more comfortable rolling right (I learned rollers to the left first) so I'm no doing figure 8 rollers. Need to smooth them out but I'm pleased that I've got the basics down.

Love this plane.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:25 PM
FLY ANGRY
Joined Jul 2008
5,024 Posts
Yep, and if you play with it a bit you can hold that "flat spin-ish / rolling thingy" for quite a while without losing ANY altitude. My guys at the field laugh when I do it...They call it Steves "eight beer spin" LOL I love it
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:29 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY View Post
Yep, and if you play with it a bit you can hold that "flat spin-ish / rolling thingy" for quite a while without losing ANY altitude. My guys at the field laugh when I do it...They call it Steves "eight beer spin" LOL I love it
LOL!! Love the name! I just sort of stumbled into it the other day with my 57" Extra. It looks sweet if you can hold it.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:31 PM
FLY ANGRY
Joined Jul 2008
5,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
LOL!! Love the name! I just sort of stumbled into it the other day with my 57" Extra. It looks sweet if you can hold it.
I know right....I can neither confirm nor deny the reason for the name tho
I think there may be a clue in the pic below