San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
It's easy to stop buying them when you run out of cash
Amen to that!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:19 AM
Russian Federation, Voronezhskaya oblast, Voronezh
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
I had 173-th flight this morning Today was the first good morning without rain and wind in a week, so I had 5 flights. Very happy with savox - very tight KE loops. I think, that before I installed them I experienced some blowback, despite of I used 125% end points on rudder.
And I got 2 rotations at the top after doing pop top today - it was cool. Edge flies better and better with every flight. Also got all stuff much lower today. Was doing slow rolls at low altitude and high speed and realised, that I have to lower low rates on a radio as it was hard to maintain altitude.
AlexGold is offline Find More Posts by AlexGold
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:08 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Sticking with my plan of getting Edge #2 back in the air as a float plane. Just need floats and a cheap motor. After that I still need to put the finishing touches on my scratch build prop jet, my old trusty F-27C custom needs a new body. Hum a new helicopter would be nice too. Oh God it never ends does it?

Was loading the Edge back in the car this morning after a few flights when I noticed the gap between the counterbalance part of the rudder and the top of the vertical stabilizer was almost 3/8 of and inch. All the hinges had broken loose and the only thing holding the rudder on was the tail wheel bracket and the pull/pull cables. A couple drops of thin CA and all is good again but something to watch out for.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Last edited by MARCOELDRAGON; Aug 23, 2012 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Info
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:27 AM
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
Recieved Xoar props and found that they are absolutely the same with JXF props that sells HK. The only difference - JXF is only availible in 14x6 and 14x8 size, and Xoar - 14x7. This props have more power consumption in comparison with APC and lower RPM. So APC seems to be more efficient, while XOAR and JXF makes plane more predictable. My flight time with XOAR dropped to 6 minutes from 7 with APC. Think I should try Falcon now.
Haven't took my notebook with me, so wasn't able to get data from ESC. JXF 14x6 was eating more amps than APC 14x7. So I think 14x7 XOAR will take even more. May be this is the cause of failure of some Omega 130.
Last edited by AlexGold; Aug 24, 2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:04 AM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGold View Post
Recieved Xoar props and found that they are absolutely the same with JXF props that sells HK. The only difference - JXF is only availible in 14x6 and 14x8 size, and Xoar - 14x7. This props have more power consumption in comparison with APC and lower RPM. So APC seems to be more efficient, while XOAR and JXF makes plane more predictable. My flight time with XOAR dropped to 6 minutes from 7 with APC. Think I should try Falcon now.
Haven't took my notebook with me, so wasn't able to get data from ESC. JXF 14x6 was eating more amps than APC 14x7. So I think 14x7 XOAR will take even more. May be this is the cause of failure of some Omega 130.
I would think thrust figures along with power draw and rpm would be the only good comparison between different props. I've mostly heard that wooden props were more efficient since they didn't flex as much.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:27 AM
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krexken View Post
I would think thrust figures along with power draw and rpm would be the only good comparison between different props. I've mostly heard that wooden props were more efficient since they didn't flex as much.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9444

Here is comperison between APC and JXF. I'll do the same with XOAR as soon as I get to the field with notebook.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:43 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGold View Post
I love my Xoar props. I agree with you on the power consumption and the predictability. I also get more rapid throttle response.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 24, 2012, 04:47 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
How far down do you guys run your batteries? I check each battery for volts on my power meter after each flight. I don't like to run them below 11.4. Am I being too conservative? I also love the response from the Xoar 14x7 but had to be very careful with the throttle or I was ending up with around 11.1 volts left in the pack. my problem with the Xoar or any wooden prop is my occasional crappy landing busting the tips on the pavement. Not really the props fault at all. It is what it is. The one JXF prop I had was a 14x7 I bought from Value Hobby and now I can't find that size anywhere. It seemed identical to the Xoar. Has anyone tried Vox props? Really curious about the battery question.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:01 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
How far down do you guys run your batteries? I check each battery for volts on my power meter after each flight. I don't like to run them below 11.4. Am I being too conservative? I also love the response from the Xoar 14x7 but had to be very careful with the throttle or I was ending up with around 11.1 volts left in the pack. my problem with the Xoar or any wooden prop is my occasional crappy landing busting the tips on the pavement. Not really the props fault at all. It is what it is. The one JXF prop I had was a 14x7 I bought from Value Hobby and now I can't find that size anywhere. It seemed identical to the Xoar. Has anyone tried Vox props? Really curious about the battery question.
3.8 or 3.7 per cell is usually a good practice so you're in good shape. If you run them down a lot lower than that then they just won't last as long. It depends on the quality of the battery too - some hold up to the abuse better than others.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:26 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
My God, I actually by accident did something right? Seriously that must explain how some of my cheap GeForce batteries have survived for over a hundred cycles. Thanks for the quick reply bro.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:50 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,534 Posts
cg issue fixed(my bad dumb thumbs) any tips for the maiden?
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:55 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,869 Posts
Give her hell!
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:59 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
4,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10 View Post
cg issue fixed(my bad dumb thumbs) any tips for the maiden?
Just go up 3 mistakes high and get the feel for it. Use low rates for take off and landing. Have fun and relax
3Dplank is offline Find More Posts by 3Dplank
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:03 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,136 Posts
I got two flights on mine today and zero good landings... arg. I gotta lose the wheel pants. Thanks to Wamsy for the harrier tips I got from him This plane has been the most problematic for me for wing rock. They are still a work in process but much better. My plane is so mis-shapen from extensive repairs it is a wonder I can fly it straight let alone harrier it!
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:55 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
My God, I actually by accident did something right? Seriously that must explain how some of my cheap GeForce batteries have survived for over a hundred cycles. Thanks for the quick reply bro.
Like I tell me wife... every now and then I do something right. Whether it's on purpose or not may be a different story but EVERY now and then...