SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:31 PM
Shade Tree Aviation #2
United States, NC, Rutherfordton
Joined Jan 2002
1,089 Posts
Just pulled the trigger on one of these. Going with the stock setup (Omega 130 on 3s). Can't wait.
M.Putnam is online now Find More Posts by M.Putnam
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:47 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Sorry Shadow... I'm guessing you are feeling that in hind sight big throws and expo is all you need. Sorry for your loss.
exactly i had no problem with how the plane flew without the stabilizer i was just looking to try something new for fun. I think the biggest downfall of that unit is the inability to turn it off like the eagle tree guardian.
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:33 PM
United States, MN, Stillwater
Joined May 2012
14 Posts
My Omega 130g quit on me today! I lost power in flight and landed with no damage luckily. Post incident analysis revealed that the motor will still turn with throttle added, however it turns slowly and jolts unevenly. I had something like this happen before with another motor and found out one of the three phases broke inside the motor and figured this was the same problem. However a test with a voltage meter showed that all the connections were solid! Any ideas?
Rico12596 is offline Find More Posts by Rico12596
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:40 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,237 Posts
Ah so dead sticks on electrics too Sorry no answers other than solder connection from the ESC to motor. Sounds like what happened to a friend of mine.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:47 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,676 Posts
Did you check the bullet connectors? Sounds almost like one of them came loose.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, MN, Stillwater
Joined May 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
Ah so dead sticks on electrics too Sorry no answers other than solder connection from the ESC to motor. Sounds like what happened to a friend of mine.
Forgot to add that I tested the ESC with a different motor and it worked just fine. This one has me stumped!
Rico12596 is offline Find More Posts by Rico12596
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:49 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico12596 View Post
Forgot to add that I tested the ESC with a different motor and it worked just fine. This one has me stumped!
did you maybe overheat the motor and burn some winding's?
3Daddict is online now Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:37 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,999 Posts
How did it smell? Was it hot? Sounds like you toasted it. Does it feel different to turn it by hand? I have noticed on the motors I have burned up that the windings will swell up and make the stator rub on the magnets sometimes.

Otherwise, I would think you have some sort of connection issue. You could have a bad solder joint on one of your bullet connections that has come loose and isn't making a solid connection.

Hopefully it is something simple that you can fix easily.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:23 AM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico12596 View Post
My Omega 130g quit on me today! I lost power in flight and landed with no damage luckily. Post incident analysis revealed that the motor will still turn with throttle added, however it turns slowly and jolts unevenly. I had something like this happen before with another motor and found out one of the three phases broke inside the motor and figured this was the same problem. However a test with a voltage meter showed that all the connections were solid! Any ideas?
My Motrolfly 2815-950 which has only about 20 flights did the same thing after I smucked my 48 epp extra the last time. I've taken it apart and all looks good. I'm going to sent it in to Ken and see what he says. It shutters like its out of sync or something.
I wonder if its worth cutting the bullets off of it and testing it before I send it in?
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:45 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
My Motrolfly 2815-950 which has only about 20 flights did the same thing after I smucked my 48 epp extra the last time. I've taken it apart and all looks good. I'm going to sent it in to Ken and see what he says. It shutters like its out of sync or something.
I wonder if its worth cutting the bullets off of it and testing it before I send it in?
Worth a try... anything you can do before sending it in will narrow things down and you may end up saving some shipping/repair money and time.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:22 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
DO NOT "cut" the bullets off, unsolder them!! Most motor have lacquered windings and leads. One you cut the wires, you will have a VERY hard time getting the lacquer off so that they can be re-soldered... believe me when I say I found this out the hard way!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:25 AM
Western New York
Joined Mar 2009
92 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get a right wing for my 1.5 Buck Huck (Orange). I had 1 of those "magnetic trees" grab mine and pretty much crushed in the entire LE. I've been on the 3DHS site and they're out of stock. I checked all the vendors that carry 3DHS parts and - nothing!

I'd be happy to pay full retail + shipping if anyone can help me out!

Don
AirDale is offline Find More Posts by AirDale
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:43 AM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Reinstalled my motor yesterday and fastened the collar that I have been having issues with, no noises that I can hear, so that is good!

Something I noticed last night, weird that I had not seen this before, that there seems to be 2 stages on the motor or maybe a soft start? For the first I dunno,10-20% of the throttle it is one speed then jumps to higher rpms when you cross the threshold. Is this normal?
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:46 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Shadow very sorry to hear of your loss. My next question was going to be was the stabilizer switchable. Guess you answered that question the hard way.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:50 AM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
DO NOT "cut" the bullets off, unsolder them!! Most motor have lacquered windings and leads. One you cut the wires, you will have a VERY hard time getting the lacquer off so that they can be re-soldered... believe me when I say I found this out the hard way!!

SteveT
Thanks for the heads up Steve. I most likely would have unsoldered them but now that I know I will be sure to do it that way.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06