SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:49 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,431 Posts
I'm having trouble with KE Spin on theis airframe. My 40"and 47" Edges were simple..
I go vertical, kill throttle, just at stall apply full left rudder, as it yaws approaching 270 degrees I add full throttle and full down elevator. I've found my PA Ultimate likes no rudder during KE spins. Any consensus what this plane likes? (running 3s, Omega 130, hs-65mg.
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:54 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,981 Posts
I go vertical, and simultaneously kill throttle, full left rudder, full down elevator, and full right aileron. As the plane pitches down, I go to half left rudder, full elevator, and a touch of left aileron. It seems to work quite well for me, on my Edge and Extra both.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:20 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,735 Posts
this is exactly how I enter and hold a KE spin with my 48 edge

kespinentryphoenix (0 min 31 sec)
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Aug 18, 2012, 06:09 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
That looks like the same way I do them.

KE spin with stick movements (0 min 23 sec)
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:22 PM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTMich View Post
I'm having trouble with KE Spin on theis airframe. My 40"and 47" Edges were simple..
I go vertical, kill throttle, just at stall apply full left rudder, as it yaws approaching 270 degrees I add full throttle and full down elevator. I've found my PA Ultimate likes no rudder during KE spins. Any consensus what this plane likes? (running 3s, Omega 130, hs-65mg.
you should talk to H.D. (thats his user name) he has this plane and it knife edge spins like nobody's business
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,360 Posts
havent flown my edge in months, mainly due to having fun with some other airframes, but installed a new gadget in the edge tonight to try tomorrow. Should be interesting to see how the Orange RX stabilizer smooths things out

shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:22 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
I flew mine today for one short flight. It was pretty breezy and I was at the turf farm which is full of small plane hazards. It was the first time in a very long time that I had flown it with appropriate power. Boy was it fun to be back on the 3s setup with about 600 watts of wonderful continuous power! This plane sure can be a lot of fun
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:53 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,386 Posts
Quote:
I can KE spin mine like a mad man! I usually tumble into a KE attitude like BoneDoc does in his instructional videos. I can do it through a stall turn too but I just think flipping it around then cranking into a KE spin looks awesome!! I use the same stick inputs as quadracer but I use full left rudder, full down elevator, and I ease in some left aileron as needed based on how much throttle I use in the spin. It is usually around 50% or so on the aileron.

EDIT: Basically just like davebloomer and brathanke do theirs. Just saw their videos. Sorry.
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:01 AM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,431 Posts
Thanks guys, ill try the other entry wtyleband be ready to fed in a little aileron. Thanks
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:05 AM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,386 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys, ill try the other entry wtyleband be ready to fed in a little aileron. Thanks
Good luck and don't give up. It will be well worth it when you nail it. The KE Spin is probably my favorite move right now.
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:45 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,162 Posts
shadow let us know how that stabilizer ends up working. I stumbled across that the other day and was wondering about it too. I have had great luck with the Orange 6ch Rx.

Second set of Savox servos arrived Saturday. By the time I finished my "Honey do" list and installed them it was too late for any flying. Just eyeballing it I think I picked up a small increase in throw on the ailerons. I weighed the Edge ready to fly with a 2200 30c battery and it now is 44.8 ounces. It was 43.3 when I built it. That was without any graphics on it. The Savox servos, plenty of decals, foamboard Snoopy pilot and frequent applications of thin CA to the motor box and battery tray joints account for it. Personally I think it handles better a bit heavier than stock.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:19 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
shadow let us know how that stabilizer ends up working. I stumbled across that the other day and was wondering about it too. I have had great luck with the Orange 6ch Rx.

Second set of Savox servos arrived Saturday. By the time I finished my "Honey do" list and installed them it was too late for any flying. Just eyeballing it I think I picked up a small increase in throw on the ailerons. I weighed the Edge ready to fly with a 2200 30c battery and it now is 44.8 ounces. It was 43.3 when I built it. That was without any graphics on it. The Savox servos, plenty of decals, foamboard Snoopy pilot and frequent applications of thin CA to the motor box and battery tray joints account for it. Personally I think it handles better a bit heavier than stock.
There certainly becomes a point when floaty becomes TOO floaty for sure. I don't mind a little bit of weight on my Edge either.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 19, 2012, 03:53 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
...yeah not good...scratch one 48" edge.

i am guessing the roll gyro gain was set too high and as soon as i took off and touched the aileron the plane started rolling uncontrollably. Rolled inverted, i tried to roll it back, it rolled a couple of times by itself. Eventually trying to at least salvage something i cut the power and the ailerons kicked in again, stalled the plane and it ended up in the woods. Broke a wing completely in half and ripped the entire center section out of the fuse.
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:48 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow102 View Post
...yeah not good...scratch one 48" edge.

i am guessing the roll gyro gain was set too high and as soon as i took off and touched the aileron the plane started rolling uncontrollably. Rolled inverted, i tried to roll it back, it rolled a couple of times by itself. Eventually trying to at least salvage something i cut the power and the ailerons kicked in again, stalled the plane and it ended up in the woods. Broke a wing completely in half and ripped the entire center section out of the fuse.

Man... sorry about to hear about your plane. That really sucks.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:23 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
Sorry Shadow... I'm guessing you are feeling that in hind sight big throws and expo is all you need. Sorry for your loss.