Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:34 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,153 Posts
grovey sorry I misunderstood your question about the spacer. More correctly I think it would be called a bushing or as APC calls them locator rings. Calling it a spacer made me think you were needing to space the prop out farther from the cowl. What ever you call the thing yes I use them and mine too fit tightly on the prop adapter. I also have a decent collection of the unused sizes laying all over the place for some obscure reason. I could probably put them on a string and make a necklace out of them.

I went ahead and ordered 2 more Savox 0255 servos for my ailerons today along with new gears for my well used HS-65s. I started work on rebuilding Edge number 2 at long last and will put the Hitechs in it for now. My crazy idea is to make it into an aerobatic float plane. Just need a motor and to decide on which floats to use.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:46 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
No worries! I will definitely use those bushings now, thanks for the actual names.

I have been experiencing weirdness still with the collar at the back of the motor. I cannot understand why when I tighten collar close to the circlip there is a slight audible friction sound (difficult to explain) , and when I take the collar off the motor is quiet.

The circlip moves WITH the shaft along with the collar, how can it be making a noise? It makes no sense. For it to be a safeguard it needs to be close if not right up against the circlip.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:06 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,462 Posts
Is the collar rubbing the wood of the firewall? The hole in my Extra's firewall had to be bored out a bit because the retainer collar was rubbing.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:08 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Nope, I am holding the motor in my hand by the brackets that mounts it to the firewall. I then spin the prop by hand.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:25 PM
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,462 Posts
Gotcha. That is odd.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:30 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
Gotcha. That is odd.
It sure is, perhaps when I am holding it the collar is hitting my hand, I will check that out.

The original issue was that the collar was loose, and I guess the circlip was catching it.

*EDIT, it seems that as long as the collar is not touching the circlip, it is fine. At least on my motor. My hand is not interfering with the collar when I am testing it.
Last edited by grovey; Aug 16, 2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:58 AM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
I am rapidly approaching the point to where I am just gonna tighten the collar and forget about it.

I seriously have had issues with this plane where not many other folks have. I am just chalking this all down to experience, and I just wanna fly the thing.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:59 AM
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,462 Posts
If it doesn't seem to be robbing any power from the motor, I wouldn't sweat it. As you say, the collar spins with the shaft, so it isn't causing any friction anywhere.

Huck the fire out of that plane!!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:15 AM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
If it doesn't seem to be robbing any power from the motor, I wouldn't sweat it. As you say, the collar spins with the shaft, so it isn't causing any friction anywhere.

Huck the fire out of that plane!!
Agreed! Thanks for all the help
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:41 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,153 Posts
Managed to squeeze another 12 flights in over the last 2 days. Last couple of times out I had some trouble with running my batteries down farther than normal. As in 11.15 to 11.2 volts rather than 11.4 to 11.5. Kind of had me baffled and yesterday I cut my timer back to by 30 seconds and exercised strict throttle control but still ran 3 batteries down too far. Figured it out today my throttle was out of calibration. When the stick was at 2/3 of the way up I was already at full power. No wonder it was climbing like a bat out of Hades at half throttle (on the stick). It shouldn't have taken me so long to figure this out. Re-calibrated and all is well in Edgeville again.

Vaguely remember plugging in the battery for a test while setting up the new servos and had bumped the left stick up accidentally. I moved the stick back to the bottom and went on with the testing of the servos and never thought any more about it until today. Must have changed the throttle end points. Duh.
Last edited by MARCOELDRAGON; Aug 17, 2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: more info
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:46 PM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
i have had some motors where the "clamp ring" rubs the x-mount if the mount has a bur in it or the set screw is sticking out causing it to rub, if this is the problem and it is ever so slight, it will wear in, if theres resistance, it will require attention.
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:10 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
Managed to squeeze another 12 flights in over the last 2 days.
I remember weeks like this where I'd squeeze in some flying whenever I could! Good times... Good times!!

Before you know it you'll be landing on top of schools on purpose.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 18, 2012, 05:56 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,153 Posts
Harrier is getting much better now that I spend at least 1 battery per session practicing it. I added 5% more expo to ailerons and that got rid of almost all of the wing rock I had been getting. New Savox servos for the ailerons should be here today and that should help too by eliminating the gear slop I currently have. I really plan on avoiding roof tops altogether.
I try to fly at least 3 or 4 times a weeks if the weather cooperates. It is the best way I know of to unwind from a crappy night at work.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:12 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
Harrier is getting much better now that I spend at least 1 battery per session practicing it. I added 5% more expo to ailerons and that got rid of almost all of the wing rock I had been getting. New Savox servos for the ailerons should be here today and that should help too by eliminating the gear slop I currently have. I really plan on avoiding roof tops altogether.
I try to fly at least 3 or 4 times a weeks if the weather cooperates. It is the best way I know of to unwind from a crappy night at work.
It's all about stick time. I wish I could fly more than I do now. There for a while I was flying morning and evening just about every day of the week. With a baby boy on the way in October I'd imagine that my flying time will take a little bit of a hit in the fall (although my wife is very good with this sort of thing... she's more than good to me with stuff like this!).

I shot some video this morning but I had my dang hat cam WAY too low. I need to figure out the right spot for that thing again. I used to have it pretty much pegged but lately I can't seem to get it right.

I had a pretty good session too - I wish I had it on video. I'm only getting about 1.5 turns on my pop tops, not 2 like I thought. I'm guessing I've gotten 2 before but it would be a pretty energetic maneuver! The Edge feels pretty draggy to me once it starts spinning (especially compared to my 51" Slick which just feels like it's on ice once it starts it rotations).

Anyway - I'll get some more video up soon. I'm still loving this plane. It's a perfect everyday hucking machine for sure!

Fly low... fly hard!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:32 AM
Russian Federation, Voronezhskaya oblast, Voronezh
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
It's all about stick time. I wish I could fly more than I do now. There for a while I was flying morning and evening just about every day of the week. With a baby boy on the way in October I'd imagine that my flying time will take a little bit of a hit in the fall (although my wife is very good with this sort of thing... she's more than good to me with stuff like this!).
Now, with a little baby, I fly no more than 10 packs a week
AlexGold is offline Find More Posts by AlexGold