HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:19 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
support your local hobby store, especially one that carries that kind of charging equipment
+1...I wish i could have bought mine locally. My LHS sucks though and probably wouldn't know what a power lab was if i asked.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:22 PM
Russian Federation, Voronezhskaya oblast, Voronezh
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsy55 View Post
Here is some video of my flying my 48" Edge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toJb2HuQ-GI&feature=plcp
Very impressive! I like your aggressive style! I wish I could fly this way, but I'm scared to fly so fast
AlexGold is offline Find More Posts by AlexGold
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:28 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
+1...I wish i could have bought mine locally. My LHS sucks though and probably wouldn't know what a power lab was if i asked.
same here, hobbytown just doesn't cut it
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:12 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
I absolutely looove my power lab 6. I doubt i will ever need more charger. I use it for everything from 2s 450s to 6s 3300s. You won't be disappointed with that charger and you will be able to charge six 6s 5000s in an hour The only better charger is the power lab 8.
Does it need a power source or will it plug directly into the wall?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:15 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,228 Posts
It needs a power source, but it's soooo worth it. I used to have to charge my 6s packs the night before. 1 pack would take 1 hour so i'd charge 4 packs the night before for 4 hours so i could fly for 20 minutes lol. Now i routinely charge my packs 2 or 3 times in a day and i can charge them as fast as i can discharge them A 1000w charger is the greatest thing an electric flyer can invest in if they want flight time.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:27 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
It needs a power source, but it's soooo worth it. I used to have to charge my 6s packs the night before. 1 pack would take 1 hour so i'd charge 4 packs the night before for 4 hours so i could fly for 20 minutes lol. Now i routinely charge my packs 2 or 3 times in a day and i can charge them as fast as i can discharge them A 1000w charger is the greatest thing an electric flyer can invest in if they want flight time.
OK - I was just asking so I could make an apples to apples comparison to my iCharger 3010B. They seem pretty comparable except the power lab can actually go up to 40a if I read the specs properly and my 3010B can only go up to 30a.

They appear to be similarly priced as well. And I agree with your COMPLETELY! Charging up the night before flying used to be a tedious all night affair and my wife would get annoyed because I'd keep pausing the TV to get up and go and tend to the batteries (as one finished I'd have to put the next one on) but now I can charge 6 of them at a time!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:30 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,228 Posts
I also like how they have their online calculator so you can see how many amps is safe to charge at. Even though it can go to 40a when charging six 6s packs i only go up to 30 because of my power supply http://www.revolectrix.com/PL6_calculators_Main.htm
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:19 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
He is selling em for $169 here

1000 watt with max 40A output.
I have never owned one but hear good things about it and you will be happy with the power. Price seems good too.
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:19 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
2,000 Posts
Quote:
This LHS has a power lab 6. Will that fit the bill?
Here is what I have been eyeing. If one is good, two has to be better.

http://www.espritmodel.com/hyperion-...-14s1000w.aspx

Ron
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:51 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
I skipped the charger today, need to watch the money. Will get something better than what I have now (which is adequate) a bit later.

So... I have good news, the motor is in good condition, nothing is bent or grinding it seems. I did notice something though which I think is the cause of the weird sound when spinning the prop by hand (and when the motor was turning the prop). I noticed when I removed the motor from the plane, that the retaining collar at the back of the motor, was not tightened down. In fact that I removed it by hand. I think that since it was not tight enough, it was making a grinding noise when the shaft moved in it.

I removed the collar completely and re-installed the motor as a test, and spun the motor with a prop installed by hand again, no noise.

Folks, was yours loose from the factory too? How close to the motor do I need to tighten the collar? Is the collar just a safeguard?
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:29 PM
Byron C
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
726 Posts
Quote:

...Folks, was yours loose from the factory too? How close to the motor do I need to tighten the collar? Is the collar just a safeguard?
Seems I tightened it and everything else when I received my Omega 130. Ya might put a drop of blue thread-lock on the collar's set-screw (grub screw for the UK folks). The collar is a back-up in case the circlip were to give way, i.e. should a bearing seize etc. I also put blue
thread lock on all the screws and caphead screws of my Omega, and that's been close to a year ago and all is holding up well.
3DeltaFly is online now Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:47 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DeltaFly View Post
Seems I tightened it and everything else when I received my Omega 130. Ya might put a drop of blue thread-lock on the collar's set-screw (grub screw for the UK folks). The collar is a back-up in case the circlip were to give way, i.e. should a bearing seize etc. I also put blue
thread lock on all the screws and caphead screws of my Omega, and that's been close to a year ago and all is holding up well.
I put loctite on all metal to metal contacts when I first installed the motor, but I did not check the collar. I will loctite everything again as well as the collar.

So I take it I just snug the collar up against the C clip and tighten.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:56 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
In other news, I straightened the bent landing gear, and repaired the hole in the fuse that was cause by the gear bending into the fuse. I also cut some away from the struts so that they can't puncture the fuse again.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:49 PM
Serial Lurker
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
167 Posts
Quote:

Folks, was yours loose from the factory too? How close to the motor do I need to tighten the collar? Is the collar just a safeguard?
Mine came off in flight doing a ke spin. Shredded the firewall from all the vibrations and bent the shaft in the process.
Olie is online now Find More Posts by Olie
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:51 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olie View Post
Mine came off in flight doing a ke spin. Shredded the firewall from all the vibrations and bent the shaft in the process.
Woah, seriously? The collar? That is insane!