HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:57 AM
Where's my orange kool-aid?
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10 View Post
they wont let me sell them. they basicly FORCE me to fly them.
Haven't you heard of crashing?... I'm sure a 'misguided' parachute, say 12inches to the deck ought to resolve your problems in disposing the planes
xzuberance is offline Find More Posts by xzuberance
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:58 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I somewhat disagree.. I think the phenolic arms are a must on elevator and rudder. Otherwise you just got a nice sport plane. It won't be that good at 3d.
Agreed. You really do WANT them on the elevator and rudder. I like as much elevator and rudder throw as I can possibly get without getting blowback.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:00 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzuberance View Post
Haven't you heard of crashing?... I'm sure a 'misguided' parachute, say 12inches to the deck ought to resolve your problems in disposing the planes
thats a great idea! plus ill have more parts for more planes!
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:44 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGold View Post
Wow, Steve, this guitar is great! Why don't you build airframes?
I did for many years....too lazy these days with the advent of great ARFs....

Quote:
Steve you have a golden voice and the guitar playing is nice as well. I couldn't tell the difference from the original on Black Magic Woman without playing it right after the fact. I would listen to the other tunes right now but I have a lot to accomplish tomorrow and need some rest I think I'll get some flights in on the edge in the morning which may mean a vid or two but not making any promises
Thank you, but I wouldn't say it is golden....maybe a step or two above lead... I think of the three that are on there "China Grove" is the best. I used to fly with Danny Hull, who plays sax for the Doobie Brothers, and while he may have just been making me feel good, he said we "nailed" it....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:49 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,828 Posts
Well guys I went out and put 4 flights on the edge this morning. Sorry no vids. I wish I could have gotten some of it on video. I tried that move theKM won the trick contest with at Joe Nall a few times. It is nowhere near as cool as the 104 slick but it was enough that it got a guy walking by to stop and watch. It was pretty funny because he really thought it was awesome seeing this little plane get hucked. I guess the tumbles it can do are pretty cool... Sometimes I forget how cool they were before I got a 51 slick lol. You should have heard this guy when I brought it down for an inverted harrier and almost dragged the rudder. You'd have thought he was at a really cool concert or something. It was great His vocalizing kept me trying more and more crazy stuff. Blenders that I pulled out of really low and KE spins almost to the ground lol. It was really fun and since this plane has seen better days I feel like I can fly it like that. Luckily no crashes
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:03 PM
Custom Crasher
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
757 Posts
Question

Being a foamy flyer, is there a opening somewhere on the fuselage for air to pass through?
lowkeylaidback is offline Find More Posts by lowkeylaidback
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:12 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,828 Posts
You need to open up some of the covering on the bottom of the fuse. This is outlined in the build manual.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jul 24, 2012, 01:16 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Well guys I went out and put 4 flights on the edge this morning. Sorry no vids. I wish I could have gotten some of it on video. I tried that move theKM won the trick contest with at Joe Nall a few times. It is nowhere near as cool as the 104 slick but it was enough that it got a guy walking by to stop and watch. It was pretty funny because he really thought it was awesome seeing this little plane get hucked. I guess the tumbles it can do are pretty cool... Sometimes I forget how cool they were before I got a 51 slick lol. You should have heard this guy when I brought it down for an inverted harrier and almost dragged the rudder. You'd have thought he was at a really cool concert or something. It was great His vocalizing kept me trying more and more crazy stuff. Blenders that I pulled out of really low and KE spins almost to the ground lol. It was really fun and since this plane has seen better days I feel like I can fly it like that. Luckily no crashes
NICE!!! It takes some big ones to do blenders close to the ground. It always gets my blood flowing and I've probably only done them about 25 feet up at the lowest!!

But I know exactly what you mean... once you get an audience that's really interested in what you're doing it's easy to push yourself further and further. Its usually after those times that I realize I'm capable of doing more!
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jul 24, 2012, 02:25 PM
Russian Federation, Voronezhskaya oblast, Voronezh
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
I've disassembled burned 5065MG and found that the cause was in the motor. One of the windings is shortcut. All electronics works well, I moved servo arm with hand and voltage on the leads to the motor was changin from -5V to +5V (for test I used 5V BEC)
AlexGold is offline Find More Posts by AlexGold
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:08 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,889 Posts
Possibly had some binding causing the motor to burn out?

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:26 PM
United States, MN, Maple Grove
Joined Jun 2011
42 Posts
Quote:
Steve you have a golden voice and the guitar playing is nice as well. I couldn't tell the difference from the original on Black Magic Woman without playing it right after the fact. I would listen to the other tunes right now but I have a lot to accomplish tomorrow and need some rest I think I'll get some flights in on the edge in the morning which may mean a vid or two but not making any promises

Nice rendition Steve, like the tone on the axe for BMW...

(brathanke) However just to be pedantic, quite a ways away from the "original" Peter Green version (
Peter Green`s Fleetwood Mac - Black magic woman 1968 (7 min 18 sec)
)
mrc3 is offline Find More Posts by mrc3
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:33 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc3 View Post
Nice rendition Steve, like the tone on the axe for BMW...

(brathanke) However just to be pedantic, quite a ways away from the "original" Peter Green version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdz_T7UTc1I)
Always preferred the Santana version myself.

The lead guitarist of our group at that time was a great guitarist, unfortunately didn't understand that volume controls could be turned down (he lost us few places to play), and he also had a few mental problems....we eventually had to get rid of him. He played through a Fender Twin, with a Fender Custom shop Strat (one of those ones that looks beat up)...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:38 AM
United States, MN, Maple Grove
Joined Jun 2011
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Always preferred the Santana version myself.

The lead guitarist of our group at that time was a great guitarist, unfortunately didn't understand that volume controls could be turned down (he lost us few places to play), and he also had a few mental problems....we eventually had to get rid of him. He played through a Fender Twin, with a Fender Custom shop Strat (one of those ones that looks beat up)...

SteveT
I don't disagree WRT to Santana's version, its the more rock oriented rendition where Greenies is more bluesie. It is one of the relatively few songs where the cover version is much better known than the original.

So back on topic , my reason I'm reading this thread is that I picked up the 1.5 recently and have been holding off on building until either fall or I managed to work my way through this thread.

I had three 65mg's from a Heli that got upgraded to FBL and digital servos, so rather than buying a fourth, I purchased two Savox MG servos and plan on using them on the rudder and Elevator and use the 65MG's on the ailerons. I'll initially be running a 4S setup because the person who I purchased the Kit from included the hacker motor that is recommended for a 4S setup. I may end up converting to 3S at a later date based on what I've read.

From reading this thread I gathered the following suggestions:
  • Epoxy Free Landing Gear Mod
  • A change to use some Dubro hardware on the servo's for the pull/pull to enable easier adjustment
  • Tape around canopy and make sure to fit the canopy before drilling/installing cowling
  • Rubber washer on wing bolts.
  • Assemble and install elevator without gluing joiner until last. At which point wick in thin CA
Did I miss any of the build tips?

Mike
mrc3 is offline Find More Posts by mrc3
Last edited by mrc3; Jul 25, 2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:16 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,490 Posts
What is the wattage some of you are getting on your set up's
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jul 25, 2012, 02:09 PM
Byron C
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
What is the wattage some of you are getting on your set up's
Omega 130, APC 14x7, 3S pack: around 550 watts and that was on a marginal pack with lots of cycles on it. Used a Watts-Up meter for that measurement.
3DeltaFly is offline Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly