HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:25 AM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAerobat View Post
I am not a big fan of the two piece landing gear myself. I am wondering if you could just grab say the 3DHS 47" SHP's carbon gear or heck maybe even the 51" AJ Slick's CF and fabricate a way to put it on the Edge. That has me thinking about doing a CF landing gear mod to mine now. Has anyone tried one yet? Just curious on how difficult it was. I am not much of a builder more of an assembler.
I've got the 47 SHP gear on mine. I had to cut the fuselage out right behind the factory landing gear slot to get a good solid mount. There is a ~1/2" recessed area right behind the LG former, and I bolted a 3"x2"x 1/2" thick ply block through the LG former. I then bolted the gear through the ply block. It has yet to fail.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:42 AM
My poor poor planes.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined May 2012
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle34 View Post
Depends really on the radio you are using, if you are using the DX6i then they are pretty much a must have on the elevator and rudder, ailerons not so much so. DX7 or DX8 or the new Futaba 8FG not really needed.

If you really need some you can use carbon fiber ones like these for the elevator and these for the rudder. You can find the same things at HK for cheaper (and they come in pairs) but you will have to wait for shipping from China.
Yes, I use the DX6i... Thank you!
winndaddy is offline Find More Posts by winndaddy
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:17 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,155 Posts
I too use the DX6i and if you adjust the end points to 125% you can get by with the longest stock arms that come with HS 65 servos for the ailerons. AlexGold made a set of extensions for his. I was ready to do the same but found a set from another vendor.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:24 PM
Russian Federation, Voronezhskaya oblast, Voronezh
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
The simplest solution, but not stiff enough is to enlarge original arms with pieces of other arms with the help of CA and a clip. Here you can find some photos: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7277
AlexGold is offline Find More Posts by AlexGold
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:11 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
I've got the 47 SHP gear on mine. I had to cut the fuselage out right behind the factory landing gear slot to get a good solid mount. There is a ~1/2" recessed area right behind the LG former, and I bolted a 3"x2"x 1/2" thick ply block through the LG former. I then bolted the gear through the ply block. It has yet to fail.
Great thanks for the info. I might have to try this out when my gear craps out on me. So far so good though. How does the plane look with the CF gear?
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:00 PM
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,475 Posts
I like it better, but I guess I'm kinda biased..
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342818061.146982.jpg
Views: 146
Size: 206.0 KB
Description:
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:08 PM
Fly More Crash Less
Joined Sep 2007
1,316 Posts
Quote:
I like it better, but I guess I'm kinda biased..
Wow that looks great! Thanks for sharing. I like the SFG's too.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:10 PM
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,475 Posts
The SFG's are home made out of 1/8" ply. I'm too lazy to paint them.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:32 PM
Fly More Crash Less
Joined Sep 2007
1,316 Posts
Quote:
I understand. I am ok with spray paint and do not even own an airbrush. Maybe someday if I get serious about looks. Right now it is all about flying for me.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:31 PM
Russian Federation, Voronezhskaya oblast, Voronezh
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
Quote:
What's your impression about SFGs?
AlexGold is offline Find More Posts by AlexGold
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:58 PM
My poor poor planes.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined May 2012
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
I too use the DX6i and if you adjust the end points to 125% you can get by with the longest stock arms that come with HS 65 servos for the ailerons. AlexGold made a set of extensions for his. I was ready to do the same but found a set from another vendor.
Good to know. I think I will try 125% end points and go with the long servo arms for the rest.
winndaddy is offline Find More Posts by winndaddy
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:30 AM
Byron C
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAerobat View Post
I am not a big fan of the two piece landing gear myself. I am wondering if you could just grab say the 3DHS 47" SHP's carbon gear or heck maybe even the 51" AJ Slick's CF and fabricate a way to put it on the Edge. That has me thinking about doing a CF landing gear mod to mine now. Has anyone tried one yet? Just curious on how difficult it was. I am not much of a builder more of an assembler.
I used the 47/48 Vyper CF replacement gear to mod mine. While not really an in-depth how-to, there are several photos of the mod along with descriptions of the various steps in the process, and it's available on my blog page. It will give you a pretty good idea of what is involved -->

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=357377

HTH, Byron
3DeltaFly is online now Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:18 AM
3D-wanna-B
Lynchburg, VA
Joined Dec 2008
309 Posts
Coming VERY soon... Blue/Yellow vinyl kit from theK2. Here is a sneak peak of the right wing art (sorry for the crappy pic, my wife has the good camera in Florida):

theK2 is offline Find More Posts by theK2
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:51 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,875 Posts
It looks great!
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:52 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,155 Posts
Looks like a good job Klint. Nice and bold. I would like to see you do a sharks' mouth. One that wraps around under the cowl, would probably be hard to get it to make the curve and lay flat. ADC has some but I don't like the way they look. Just something to think about. I turned 50 today and managed to get a couple flights in to celebrate in between rain showers.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON