SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:48 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,171 Posts
Glad all is going well with the rebuild. The Edge is probably begging to be flown again. This was your second Edge right? You first one was orange? I remember the videos. My batteries are on the chargers as I type this. No stick time since Friday morning.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:32 AM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Arg I made a mistake. The glue I put on the joiner stick for the horizontal stab ran into the elevator horn mount. Now I cannot fit the elevator control horn.

Any suggestions on how to remove the glue from the mount and not disturb the glue on the joiner stick?
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:44 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
Arg I made a mistake. The glue I put on the joiner stick for the horizontal stab ran into the elevator horn mount. Now I cannot fit the elevator control horn.

Any suggestions on how to remove the glue from the mount and not disturb the glue on the joiner stick?
Debonder or Acetone. You really want to remove the joiner stick too and use some 30 minute epoxy to set the joiner,makes a stronger joint.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:48 AM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle34 View Post
Debonder or Acetone. You really want to remove the joiner stick too and use some 30 minute epoxy to set the joiner,makes a stronger joint.
That sounds risky I medium ca'd the joiner stick already, as well as the elevator surfaces.

I wish the build videos I am watching would have mentioned 30 min epoxy before I glued everything.

Can't I drill out the elevator control horn mount carefully?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:11 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
Quote:
That sounds risky I medium ca'd the joiner stick already, as well as the elevator surfaces.

I wish the build videos I am watching would have mentioned 30 min epoxy before I glued everything.

Can't I drill out the elevator control horn mount carefully?
Medium CA is fine for the elevator. Epoxy would have been nice but isn't completely necessary. If you haven't mounted your elevator servo yet you can try putting it on the other side.I would try to clean out the slot with a sharp exacto blade. If I couldn't get it in I'd try a small amount of debonder or acetone applied carefully with a q-tip or something. Just be patient and work it till it gives.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:22 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Medium CA is fine for the elevator. Epoxy would have been nice but isn't completely necessary. If you haven't mounted your elevator servo yet you can try putting it on the other side.I would try to clean out the slot with a sharp exacto blade. If I couldn't get it in I'd try a small amount of debonder or acetone applied carefully with a q-tip or something. Just be patient and work it till it gives.
Good advise there. Listen to the master builder/repairer.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:22 AM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I tried an exacto knife this morning, hehe that was a no go, I will purchase some debonder and try free the glu when I get home.

Since I have never used debonder before, how strong is it? Would it run through the hole and debond the joiner stick?

Quote:
Good advise there. Listen to the master builder/repairer.
Oh I wasn't discounting your advise at all, I am just trying to avoid undoing the glueing I have already done.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:31 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Yeah I tried an exacto knife this morning, hehe that was a no go, I will purchase some debonder and try free the glu when I get home.

Since I have never used debonder before, how strong is it? Would it run through the hole and debond the joiner stick?

Oh I wasn't discounting your advise at all, I am just trying to avoid undoing the glueing I have already done.
Acetone works just as good. It's pretty strong (debonder) just put a dab on with a q-tip and let it sit then redo that and pick at it with a dental pick or an exacto. It will take some work but the acetone or debonder will work. If you are careful it shouldn't run through and get to the joiner stick. Even with the way everything is built it shouldn't get to the joiner.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:32 AM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Acetone works just as good. It's pretty strong (debonder) just put a dab on with a q-tip and let it sit then redo that and pick at it with a dental pick or an exacto. It will take some work but the acetone or debonder will work. If you are careful it shouldn't run through and get to the joiner stick. Even with the way everything is built it shouldn't get to the joiner.
Excellent thanks so much, this thread is awesome with all the fast replies and help!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:34 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:
No problem I wasn't thinking about your hinges, much easier the way Nate has suggested.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:44 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
Eagle34 I agree with you that epoxy is better for the joiner but on these small planes the CA is plenty strong. I'm sorry if that came across as rude

If it was a 25% I would recommend taking it apart and redoing it with epoxy.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:51 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Eagle34 I agree with you that epoxy is better for the joiner but on these small planes the CA is plenty strong. I'm sorry if that came across as rude

If it was a 25% I would recommend taking it apart and redoing it with epoxy.
No problem Nate, not rude at all. that's the good thing about these forums, you can get more than one idea of how to do something. I agree if he hasn't cut out the servo hole the easiest would be to just put the servo on the other side. The slot in the elevator won't be noticed. Heck you can barely notice the patch I put on my 51" Slick where I cut out the wrong hole for the servo wires near the wing tube.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:58 AM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Thanks again guys

Yeah I have my elevator servo mount cut out on the port side (I had the thought of switching it - but I heard port side elevator is preferred). What is meant by 25%? CA strength?

I am hoping to learn alot by this build so subsequent planes I get will be a lot easier to assemble. I am not the handiest when it comes to work like this but I am hoping to get better.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:05 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Grovey, He meant a 25% scale plane, roughly 70 inches (71 slick, 72 Extra, 74 Edge.)

Watch the build videos from IPS Motors on Viemo or U-tube he does a real good job on them, plus he's a team pilot so you are getting good info there.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:21 AM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Grovey, He meant a 25% scale plane, roughly 70 inches (71 slick, 72 Extra, 74 Edge.)

Watch the build videos from IPS Motors on Viemo or U-tube he does a real good job on them, plus he's a team pilot so you are getting good info there.
Thanks, yup, those are the build videos I am going through, he did warn of the CA running from the joiner stick slot, so I can understand the warning now