HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:27 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,157 Posts
Looks like good work to me, I have similar damage on my second Edge and a smashed motor box. You have inspired me to get mine fixed back up. I have a plan for getting some cheap gear to put in it and possibly a set of GWS floats for giggles.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 08:58 AM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,980 Posts
I wouldn't worry about how it flies, brathanke. I smashed my wingtip into the pavement the other day, broke the last rib in the aileron, which bent up at about a 30 angle, and it still flies very well. Theyll fly with a brick in them.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:35 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
Don't ask me why I'm back up again... I just couldn't wait till you all responded about my work lol My wife woke me up... she doesn't know I only got 4.5 hours of sleep... We'll see how long I can keep her fooled lol.

Thanks for the comments guys
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:01 PM
United States, NJ, Berkeley Heights
Joined Nov 2009
249 Posts
3d Throw Down NJ

A big thanks to 3DHS and Joe Smith. I went to the 3d event yesterday and asked Joe a question about why I might be having a little more wing rock than I anticipated. He offered to take my plane up and take a look. I also mentioned my somewhat uneven aileron deflection and he flipped the plane over and noticed that one servo arm was one click off angle and offered to take it over to the trailer and fix it. Anyway it turned out to be a compound problem (i had put the control rod to the outer hole for max throw but one aileron was stiff so the servo wasn't getting full throw --we moved in on the arm to get more power and precision and still got full throws; also i had a set of short control rods and I noticed I flipped a servo backwards--duh) but Joe stuck with me, fitted a new rod while we traded tools back and forth so he could get to his demo flights. He still had a couple of minutes to put my plane up and show me a rock steady elevator descent. Thanks again Joe! Plane now rolls either way with great axial tracking. Now all I have to do is practice a bit . . .
Best customer experience ever.
AeroHeadTW is offline Find More Posts by AeroHeadTW
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Selected FPV Flights
Old Jul 15, 2012, 02:16 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroHeadTW View Post
A big thanks to 3DHS and Joe Smith. I went to the 3d event yesterday and asked Joe a question about why I might be having a little more wing rock than I anticipated. He offered to take my plane up and take a look. I also mentioned my somewhat uneven aileron deflection and he flipped the plane over and noticed that one servo arm was one click off angle and offered to take it over to the trailer and fix it. Anyway it turned out to be a compound problem (i had put the control rod to the outer hole for max throw but one aileron was stiff so the servo wasn't getting full throw --we moved in on the arm to get more power and precision and still got full throws; also i had a set of short control rods and I noticed I flipped a servo backwards--duh) but Joe stuck with me, fitted a new rod while we traded tools back and forth so he could get to his demo flights. He still had a couple of minutes to put my plane up and show me a rock steady elevator descent. Thanks again Joe! Plane now rolls either way with great axial tracking. Now all I have to do is practice a bit . . .
Best customer experience ever.
Great story!! Now go enjoy the koolaid!
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:26 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Doing some more work on the build tonight and I am finding getting the horizontal stabilizer fitted to be a mission. The fit is extremely tight and I am scared to force the horizontal stab in, any suggestions?
grovey is online now Find More Posts by grovey
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:50 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
Doing some more work on the build tonight and I am finding getting the horizontal stabilizer fitted to be a mission. The fit is extremely tight and I am scared to force the horizontal stab in, any suggestions?
Hmmm... I've built two of these and the fit was snug but not tight. Are you saying that you can't get it to go all the way up to the fuse?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:03 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
I managed to get it fitted but wow it was quite tight. Now I am seeing that the elevator may need some flexing. How do I go about doing that? Or is a few millimeters ok variance ok?

And to make it worse I have already glued everything. Only 1 or 2mm deviation.
Last edited by grovey; Jul 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:06 PM
3D-wanna-B
Lynchburg, VA
Joined Dec 2008
309 Posts
1-2mm will be fine. You won't notice that while flying.
theK2 is offline Find More Posts by theK2
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:13 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theK2 View Post
1-2mm will be fine. You won't notice that while flying.
Excellent thanks!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:17 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Marco I appreciate that. It is really sad what screwing somebody does to a relationship. Especially with family. Oh well, I stayed up late and...

I relied on a scant bit of balsa in the relevant areas and the holes in the covering. Everything lined up pretty well. Cutting in the new balsa for the sides was the main challenge. Then adding in the ply to reinforce the wing tube and bolt areas was a tad bit tricky. All in all not a bad night's work. I started at about 11:00 pm and it's then after 3:00 now. I just couldn't sleep until it was done haha. I still have to straighten out the covering on the sides of the fuse and I haven't decided whether I'm going to try and fix the left aileron or not... It isn't going to hurt much being left how it is with just the very end crunched in a bit. Anyway... I don't feel so bad now I'll just pray it flies halfway decent now
Should name it Phoenix, as it arose from the ashes.... Good job......

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:27 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Double post sorry

Need.to.finish.building.this.plane.
Last edited by grovey; Jul 15, 2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:27 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Should name it Phoenix, as it arose from the ashes.... Good job......

SteveT
Thanks Steve I may just do that haha. I am excited to fly it again. My confidence level that I got the wing tube in exactly the right spot is not anywhere near 100% I just hope it flies ok without weirdness from the wings not being aligned perfectly.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:29 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Thanks Steve I may just do that haha. I am excited to fly it again. My confidence level that I got the wing tube in exactly the right spot is not anywhere near 100% I just hope it flies ok without weirdness from the wings not being aligned perfectly.
Probably won't even notice it...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:25 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
Well I just spent an hour going through the little 48" edge linkages and programming. Boy, I sure was sloppy when I did that the first time. I admit that it wasn't technically slop though... it was ignorance. I guess I learned a few things since I set it up before ding dong went and crashed it. Anyway, I got rid of all the play in my linkage setup and I'm now using zero sub-trim anywhere on the plane. That may change when I figure out how it flies but I'm making a big effort to try to fix all that stuff mechanically. I hope to get a chance at a quick re-maiden tomorrow sometime. It shouldn't be too hard since this plane is so stinking convenient.