HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:50 AM
Addicted to 3DHS.
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
3,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djowtlaw View Post
So I have finally decided to go balsa. I'm tired of these cheap foam airplanes not being what they're advertised to be. Going for the 3DHS 48" Edge (why else would I post here) since it seems to be the cheaper and extremely reliable of the lot.

I've read most of this thread but not all (586 pages ) So I'm wondering if there are any extra precautions I should take with this guy as I plan to go with all the suggested parts, chose the omega 130g motor and saw that a 2200mAh 11.1V 30C battery in combination with the 14x7 was best for 3D.

Btw I am intending to use the Spektrum Dx6i radio with this setup. Comments guys?
Yes, get a castle creations ice lite 50, it will allow you to get 6.0 volts to your servoes. Also I highly recommend the SAVOX SH-0255mg digital servos they are only $32 a piece and have 54 ounces of tourqe vs. 30 the hitec has.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:01 AM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I'm in the process of switching all my stuff to Anderson Power Poles. MUCH easier to install.
APP's rock. I just wish the other guys I fly with would wise up and make the switch. I have the crimper they just need to get the connections.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:42 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
Yes, get a castle creations ice lite 50, it will allow you to get 6.0 volts to your servoes. Also I highly recommend the SAVOX SH-0255mg digital servos they are only $32 a piece and have 54 ounces of tourqe vs. 30 the hitec has.
or 0257 with a tad less torque but 0.9sec speed! if you go serious about proper without binding setup, i dont think you will fly so hard to burn out a 65mg equivalent...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:06 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackJones View Post
APP's rock. I just wish the other guys I fly with would wise up and make the switch. I have the crimper they just need to get the connections.
Yea - I'm already wondering why I've waited so dang long in the first place!! The thing that boggle my mind is that if you call ANY hobby shop and ask if they carry them they will say "Anderson what??"

I wish they were available locally but I don't mind ordering from powerwerx I guess. I just screwd up and only got the 30a APP when I really should've gotten 45a APP. I got the 30a ones on my 4s batteries without TOO much difficulty but there's no WAY I'm getting them on my Ice 100!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:06 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithy4129 View Post
nice flying, very smooth
Thanks!
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:52 PM
Russian Federation, Voronezhskaya oblast, Voronezh
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
I was reading thread from mobile, so wasn't able to watch turnerm's video. Very nice! I like it. And from your video with Slick and this one now I see that in your hands Slick flies better Hmmm... May be it's just better? =)
AlexGold is offline Find More Posts by AlexGold
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:04 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGold View Post
I was reading thread from mobile, so wasn't able to watch turnerm's video. Very nice! I like it. And from your video with Slick and this one now I see that in your hands Slick flies better Hmmm... May be it's just better? =)
Thanks Alex. Yes - the Slick is a better flying plane. No doubt about it. It's just not as gentle and forgiving so you have to be on your game a bit more. That's why I'd LOVE to see Ol' Dave Bloomer get to do some serious Slick flying without so much wind. It probably feels odd to him on the rare days that he can do it but I bet if he could get about 3 straight days of 0-5mph winds to fly his Slick in that he'd be just KILLING it!!

As you can see towards the end of my Slick video the wind started kickign in (storm was coming). It only got up to about 6-9mph (I'm guessing) but it gave me fits. Dave flies in 20-30 routinely and makes it look easy!
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:19 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Alex. Yes - the Slick is a better flying plane. No doubt about it. It's just not as gentle and forgiving so you have to be on your game a bit more. That's why I'd LOVE to see Ol' Dave Bloomer get to do some serious Slick flying without so much wind. It probably feels odd to him on the rare days that he can do it but I bet if he could get about 3 straight days of 0-5mph winds to fly his Slick in that he'd be just KILLING it!!

As you can see towards the end of my Slick video the wind started kickign in (storm was coming). It only got up to about 6-9mph (I'm guessing) but it gave me fits. Dave flies in 20-30 routinely and makes it look easy!
Thanks for the kind words. I would love the opportunity to fly in 0-5 winds 3 days in a row. Its been a few months since I have had wind like that. Days that are calm are normally bad for my airplanes though LOWER
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:30 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I would love the opportunity to fly in 0-5 winds 3 days in a row. Its been a few months since I have had wind like that. Days that are calm are normally bad for my airplanes though LOWER
Nah. I think you'd get used to it REAL quick. I almost feel guilty when I fly sometimes!

If you ever get east far enough you need to swing by so we can do some flying!
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:37 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Nah. I think you'd get used to it REAL quick. I almost feel guilty when I fly sometimes!

If you ever get east far enough you need to swing by so we can do some flying!
Im afraid I wouldn't want to leave. I wish I was at home today. The wind is down to 17 mph.

I was also gonna mention that your slick video is cleaner for sure. But I don't think that is any surprise. Like you said it is the nature of what the planes are designed for.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:42 PM
Fly Easy
Joined May 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Some people have replaced the wire gear with carbon fiber but most of us just made it so the wire gear is replaceable. Instead of using epoxy, we just put a screw or bolt through the piece that holds the gear in. When you get your plane you will see exactly what I'm talking about. If you keep searching the thread you will come upon some pics. I used a blind nut but most of the guys are just using a sheetrock screw or something.

The dx6i will work ok but you will need to maximize your end points especially on the rudder and elevator. The dx6i does not move the servos as far as a dx7 or above. You will also need to get some of the long phenolic servo arms 3dhs sells. The recommended setup is great but you have to be careful to do a good job manually so you don't need a ton of radio trim etc. Also, you want to make sure you are getting your desired throw with the shortest amount of servo arm possible. If you just stick your push rods on the outer-most hole (especially on rudder) you will be plagued with blow-back and won't be able to get good KE performance.

The little edge really rocks when it is set up right.

Hope this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
djowtlaw I fly mine with DX6i and it does fine. Go with the recommended parts and you really can't go wrong with this plane. Set your End Point Adjustment on the TX to 125% and use the 3DHS extended servo arms in the next to outermost hole for the rudder and elevator. For the ailerons the longest plastic arm that comes with the HS 65MG servos is fine but use the outermost hole on it. Glueless Landing gear mod is a must do and Davebloomer came up with a simplified pull/pull on the rudder that is great and saves about a half ounce of weight in the tail. If the ESC you choose is capable of putting out 6 volts to the servos do so, if it can't like my Thunderbird 54 get an external UBEC from Castle, Hobbywing or Motorfly and disable the onboard BEC. Do not cheap out and get the HS 65HB as they will not take the punishment for very long. Some may laugh or call me stupid but I use the HK Orange 6ch with a Sat Rx and have never had a single problem. Best of luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
Thanks all. Its comforting to know I can use my DX6i, but even more comforting I now know the correct setup to maintain the edge's awesomeness.

Yea that 125% limit on the DX6i kills me. I plan on going up to the Dx8 to replace my Dx6i as soon as I get the $$.
djowtlaw is offline Find More Posts by djowtlaw
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:43 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer View Post
Im afraid I wouldn't want to leave. I wish I was at home today. The wind is down to 17 mph.

I was also gonna mention that your slick video is cleaner for sure. But I don't think that is any surprise. Like you said it is the nature of what the planes are designed for.
The Slick is absolutely easier to manuever in tight spaces and also carves some ridiculous lines. Unfortunately I didn't capture some of the stuff up high but man... that thing pulled off one of the prettiest loops I've ever done. I mean it's so simple but it just looks SO good when it does it right!
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:22 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,132 Posts
turnerm, I really don't want to swell your head anymore but you really do make upright or inverted harrier with the Edge look SO easy. Liked the KE loop in the Edge video too. Do you have the coupling mixed out or do you just adjust with your sticks?

Headed to the field in the morning to do some flights after work. I have done all the ground testing I can do since I had the motor die on me twice the other day. After switching out the male Deans on the ESC have had no more problems. Only some real flying will tell the tale I guess. I will be switching everything over to the Anderson Powerpoles in the near future, just gonna have to wait until after vacation at the end of the month. Might sucker the wife into getting them for my birthday in a few weeks(50 yuck).
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:29 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
turnerm, I really don't want to swell your head anymore but you really do make upright or inverted harrier with the Edge look SO easy. Liked the KE loop in the Edge video too. Do you have the coupling mixed out or do you just adjust with your sticks?

Headed to the field in the morning to do some flights after work. I have done all the ground testing I can do since I had the motor die on me twice the other day. After switching out the male Deans on the ESC have had no more problems. Only some real flying will tell the tale I guess. I will be switching everything over to the Anderson Powerpoles in the near future, just gonna have to wait until after vacation at the end of the month. Might sucker the wife into getting them for my birthday in a few weeks(50 yuck).
LOL! I'm definitely comfortable in upright harriers as that's may main method of flight and has been for quite a while. It please me to hear that the inverted harriers looked confident to you because I'm definitely still shaky there. I need to get more confident which will let me come on down to the ground with them. When I can pull my rudder through that puddle inverted then I'll know I'm there.

And yes - I've got some mixes setup for KE coupling. Thanks for the kind words by the way!
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:52 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,132 Posts
Growl! Very slow moving thunderstorm keeping me from getting any test flights done. Got the attempted heat treating on the bend your own gear done. Heated up each side till it just started to glow and quickly quenched in cold water. It does seem to be a touch stiffer. Will test those this weekend after I'm sure I have the power issue sorted out. Still need to get the graphics theK2 sent me installed on my new wings. New as in I have been flying the last 85 flights on the slightly beat up wings from my second Edge. About time I got the servos in the new ones. If I ever get the motor box job done in my second fuselage that will give me a complete spare aircraft.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON