HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:30 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Happy 4th everyone! Here's a little 4th of July hood hukin'! Not my best effort but I had a lot of fun so that's all that matters!

3DHS 48" Edge - July 4th Huckin in the hood (5 min 1 sec)
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:31 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
nice!
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:31 PM
Landing!!
Norge, Mre og Romsdal, Kristiansund
Joined Apr 2008
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGold View Post
I became a father! Yahoooo!!! I have a son!!!
Congratulations!! Very well done!!! =)
(Now all these small crashes and bumps on the runway suddenly seems so insignificant... )
Dchimmi is offline Find More Posts by Dchimmi
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:38 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
Quote:
I became a father! Yahoooo!!! I have a son!!!
treasure every minute of it. It will go by very fast. This boy just turned 2 and it seem like just yesterday he was a little baby. (he loves airplanes if you can't tell no idea where he gets that from)
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:44 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer View Post
treasure every minute of it. It will go by very fast. This boy just turned 2 and it seem like just yesterday he was a little baby. (he loves airplanes if you can't tell no idea where he gets that from)
Good looking family there Dave!
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:20 PM
Fly Easy
Joined May 2012
51 Posts
So I have finally decided to go balsa. I'm tired of these cheap foam airplanes not being what they're advertised to be. Going for the 3DHS 48" Edge (why else would I post here) since it seems to be the cheaper and extremely reliable of the lot.

I've read most of this thread but not all (586 pages ) So I'm wondering if there are any extra precautions I should take with this guy as I plan to go with all the suggested parts, chose the omega 130g motor and saw that a 2200mAh 11.1V 30C battery in combination with the 14x7 was best for 3D.

Btw I am intending to use the Spektrum Dx6i radio with this setup. Comments guys?
djowtlaw is offline Find More Posts by djowtlaw
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:25 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,674 Posts
Fly the +$ off of it!
I can't think of anything to add other than the landing gear mod, which I'm sure youve seen.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:08 AM
Fly Easy
Joined May 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
Fly the +$ off of it!
I can't think of anything to add other than the landing gear mod, which I'm sure youve seen.
Actually I have missed that. But I went and searched for it and it seems as though the landing gear needs to be completely replaced? I read about MARCOELDRAGON making his own.

Guess I just skipped along since everyone seemed so happy with their new edge
djowtlaw is offline Find More Posts by djowtlaw
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:53 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djowtlaw View Post
Actually I have missed that. But I went and searched for it and it seems as though the landing gear needs to be completely replaced? I read about MARCOELDRAGON making his own.

Guess I just skipped along since everyone seemed so happy with their new edge
You don't need to replace it immediately, but there is a mod that works well, and that is just put install the landing gear, and the wedge that holds it in, and then put a screw through the landing gear mount and wedge. This way if you do bend your gear too many times, you can replace it. Just go back through the attached photos and you will find it.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:01 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,996 Posts
Some people have replaced the wire gear with carbon fiber but most of us just made it so the wire gear is replaceable. Instead of using epoxy, we just put a screw or bolt through the piece that holds the gear in. When you get your plane you will see exactly what I'm talking about. If you keep searching the thread you will come upon some pics. I used a blind nut but most of the guys are just using a sheetrock screw or something.

The dx6i will work ok but you will need to maximize your end points especially on the rudder and elevator. The dx6i does not move the servos as far as a dx7 or above. You will also need to get some of the long phenolic servo arms 3dhs sells. The recommended setup is great but you have to be careful to do a good job manually so you don't need a ton of radio trim etc. Also, you want to make sure you are getting your desired throw with the shortest amount of servo arm possible. If you just stick your push rods on the outer-most hole (especially on rudder) you will be plagued with blow-back and won't be able to get good KE performance.

The little edge really rocks when it is set up right.

Hope this helps
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:12 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
djowtlaw I fly mine with DX6i and it does fine. Go with the recommended parts and you really can't go wrong with this plane. Set your End Point Adjustment on the TX to 125% and use the 3DHS extended servo arms in the next to outermost hole for the rudder and elevator. For the ailerons the longest plastic arm that comes with the HS 65MG servos is fine but use the outermost hole on it. Glueless Landing gear mod is a must do and Davebloomer came up with a simplified pull/pull on the rudder that is great and saves about a half ounce of weight in the tail. If the ESC you choose is capable of putting out 6 volts to the servos do so, if it can't like my Thunderbird 54 get an external UBEC from Castle, Hobbywing or Motorfly and disable the onboard BEC. Do not cheap out and get the HS 65HB as they will not take the punishment for very long. Some may laugh or call me stupid but I use the HK Orange 6ch with a Sat Rx and have never had a single problem. Best of luck.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:18 AM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Hmmm I am going to have to look back trough this thread to find the landing gear mod too, glad I saw this now before I got to that step in the build.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:39 AM
Russian Federation, Voronezhskaya oblast, Voronezh
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
Thanks to everyone!

While my wife is in maternity hospital, I've tested another mod.
I've bought Extra from PA. Not the best buy, but I've learned some useful tips from it's build. So I decided to make "no gap" mod. I took strips of covering film and glue it into gaps on both ailerons and on elevator.
I flown today in pretty strong wind, so can't tell how it performs in all maneuvers, but I think it flies now even more precise. May be it's just my fantasy, but one thing it's doing now more violent - pop top. Will test more when the wind stops.
AlexGold is offline Find More Posts by AlexGold
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:42 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Thanks to everyone!

While my wife is in maternity hospital, I've tested another mod.
I've bought Extra from PA. Not the best buy, but I've learned some useful tips from it's build. So I decided to make "no gap" mod. I took strips of covering film and glue it into gaps on both ailerons and on elevator.
I flown today in pretty strong wind, so can't tell how it performs in all maneuvers, but I think it flies now even more precise. May be it's just my fantasy, but one thing it's doing now more violent - pop top. Will test more when the wind stops.
Nothing like playing with planes while you're wife is in the hospital!!
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:47 AM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Happy 4th everyone! Here's a little 4th of July hood hukin'! Not my best effort but I had a lot of fun so that's all that matters!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT6jX...ature=youtu.be
nice flying, very smooth
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129