SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:26 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,735 Posts
I too was having electrical issues with deans. I had lots of flights on them so it was probably time for swapping them out but instead I went to EC3s.

I just switched to EC3 and will be making the switch to anderson power poles soon. Forgot all about APPs when I went to EC3 or I would have done it then.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:26 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,980 Posts
I just got a brand new soldering iron, and it makes Dean's connectors a snap. My old iron just wasn't getting very hot, making it nearly impossible to flow the solder through the tab and the wire strands.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:28 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,157 Posts
Wonder if the male Deans coming off of the ESC is worn out as in the little spring clips don't have any spring left. not sure if my terminology is correct as I have been up for about 22 hours now.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:33 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,157 Posts
Thanks guys I have some places to look now. Just recently got everything converted to Deans from EC3 so I could avoid using the EC3 to Deans adapters. EC3s are so much easier to solder, I just have a hard time getting them apart without yanking on wires. May have to rethink that a bit.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:34 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
Wonder if the male Deans coming off of the ESC is worn out as in the little spring clips don't have any spring left. not sure if my terminology is correct as I have been up for about 22 hours now.
Yea - if that little spring thingy is worn out then you won't get a good connection!
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:38 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,452 Posts
good soldering iron is the key, you need about 380-400 degrees.
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:38 PM
United States, MA, Medfield
Joined Jul 2010
854 Posts
What's your landing technique?

I've been flying foamies for a year or so and the first thing I noticed when did some approaches with 3DHS 48" is that it's a lot slipperier, much less drag. So, I came in on my usual approach and glided the length of the runway the first few times. I figure I have to come in on a lower approach. I always come in with the nose just a tad down. Do you prefer nose down a tad or up a tad?

-l2t
learn2turn is offline Find More Posts by learn2turn
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:39 PM
United States, MA, Medfield
Joined Jul 2010
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
Thanks guys I have some places to look now. Just recently got everything converted to Deans from EC3 so I could avoid using the EC3 to Deans adapters. EC3s are so much easier to solder, I just have a hard time getting them apart without yanking on wires. May have to rethink that a bit.
Most important thing when soldering EC3 is to let the metal end cool all the way before snapping in the plastic housing. Unlike XT60s, EC3 housings melt pretty easily.

-l2t
learn2turn is offline Find More Posts by learn2turn
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:40 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,452 Posts
little bit of power on, nose down about 10-15, fly it all the way to the ground, flare and cut power only at the last second
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:41 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,980 Posts
I'm not too picky, nose up, nose down, doesn't matter to me. In all, I'd say I lean more toward nose up, because there are quite a few vehicles in the parking lot I fly at during the summer, so I gotta keep my rollout short.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:17 PM
Fly Easy
Joined May 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post
What's your landing technique?

I've been flying foamies for a year or so and the first thing I noticed when did some approaches with 3DHS 48" is that it's a lot slipperier, much less drag. So, I came in on my usual approach and glided the length of the runway the first few times. I figure I have to come in on a lower approach. I always come in with the nose just a tad down. Do you prefer nose down a tad or up a tad?

-l2t
I normally harrier in. However, I use the traditional technique, when its rather windy: nose at approx negative 10 degrees - flare a foot or less off the ground - ease off power. Make sure to start from way out if you are unsure of yourself to give you time to correct for any gusts and such.

Hope this helps.
djowtlaw is offline Find More Posts by djowtlaw
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:19 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,735 Posts
i always used to come in with the nose up a little and i was terrible at landing. learned to point the nose down and landings became so much better.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:17 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
I just harrier land 100% of the time. I can land virtually anywhere in almost any conditions. This is easily the most useful skill I've ever learned.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:20 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
For those who have not tried different connect types, I would recommend you experiment. It's a never ending debates from what I can tell

As for me, I've have recently converted to Anderson Poles the past 3-4 months gradually and have not looked back.

A couple of comments:
  • It require a little financial commitment. It's rather more expensive than EC3 for example.
  • Setup / installation takes but 1-3 minutes on average.
  • No more soldering to worry about . It's the best part for me.
  • You get a perfect setup almost every time. It's hard to mess it up if you also purchase the tricrimp.
  • Get the permanently bonded version to save time and extra components.

I wished I tried it sooner instead of wasting hours soldering. Regardless of which connection types....it really all boils down to preference and 1000+ other reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer View Post
I just switched to EC3 and will be making the switch to anderson power poles soon. Forgot all about APPs when I went to EC3 or I would have done it then.
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:19 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,157 Posts
OK you may have made a believer out of me about the Anderson Power Poles. I have a buddy who swears by them. What amp connector to use? The 30 looks to be most useful. Did some checking on my connections and all my soldering work is ugly but sound. Then looked at the little spring tabs on the male Deans on my ESC and as suspected they are flat. Guess that is where the problem is. For now will have to solder on a new male Deans till I can switch to APP. Still need to do some static power tests on the motor, just have to wait for the wife to wake up. Everything looked good with the ESC when I had it on the Castle Link a short while ago.