SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:18 AM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
I'l give that a shot. I don't think I have any 14X7 but I do have some 13X6.5 props around here somewhere. I'm guessing about 40 amps. If so, that will be OK.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:43 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
The 13 x 6.5 should do well. I have seen some guys have issues with the 14 x 7 due to prop strikes if landing on a grass field.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:45 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
4,728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE Spin View Post
The 13 x 6.5 should do well. I have seen some guys have issues with the 14 x 7 due to prop strikes if landing on a grass field.
I fly off a grass field and have no issues with a 14x7 unless my temperamental wire gear decides to bend flat on me.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:51 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
4,728 Posts
Ok, I was starting to not like how this plane flew. Then I found I was to nose heavy, so I backed my battery back about half an inch and now she flies even better, not as good as the 47'' SHP but close. I am now doing snap to hovers an takeoff with ease and rolling harriers are a lot better on it. though I still can not get it to KE spin where as my 47'' SHP will do it all day long. I have tried everything with it adding a little aileron and what not with no luck. I think I might need to move my battery back a little more and see what happens. I am running the heavier Hacker A30-14L with 2200 MAH 3-cell 30c packs swinging a 14x7.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Jul 03, 2012, 03:53 PM
fmw
Joined Jul 2009
1,955 Posts
Mine is a little nose heavy too. I need to relocate my receiver so I can push the battery further to the rear. The balance is perfect for a sport plane but a bit nose heavy for 3D with the motor I'm using. I have also had to straighten out the landing gear a few times. I'm thinking about soldering a brace between the struts.
fmw is offline Find More Posts by fmw
Old Jul 03, 2012, 04:18 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,026 Posts
mines seems to ke spin like no tomorrow. My batt placement is all the way back against the spar but Im using a Motrofly 2820-950
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Jul 03, 2012, 04:20 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxin2fly View Post
mines seems to ke spin like no tomorrow.
+1.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:44 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,171 Posts
Did some experimenting with the gear today. Made some new out of the rod I bought yesterday still need to try to heat treat it. Got rid of the wheel pants as they keep coming loose and flopping around. Switched out the stock wheels for Dubro 2.5 inch Micro Sport Wheels # 250MS. Ran a piece of plastic cord from a set of disposable earplugs axle to axle on the stock gear with a bit of tension on it. That seemed to work well on keeping the stock wire from spreading apart. All these gear test went well then my new problem started.
When I went to pull out of a parachute/elevator at about 10 feet up punched the throttle and the motor crapped out after about a second. Had full control but no motor. No choice but to drop as softly as possible into 3 foot tall grass. Edge was fine no damage at all. ESC was going beep beep beep. Was about 4 minutes into the flight when this happened and battery had 11.82 volts left in it when I pulled it out. Checked everything I could think of but could find no problems. Put my 40c battery in and had a normal uneventful flight. OK put my newest 30c battery in and about 40 seconds into the flight the motor crapped out again. This time I had enough altitude to dead stick it on my landing area with only a slight gear bend. Could clearly hear beep beep beep as it glided past. After it landed just for giggles I gave it some throttle and the motor was working again. Taxied back and did some ground tests. All was fine until I got above 3/4 throttle. You could hear a click from the ESC as the motor cut out followed by beep beep beep. After 5 seconds or so you had power to the motor again and the beeping would quit until you went to full power again. What gives? Omega 130 motor, Castle Thunderbird 54 ESC, Hobbywing * amp external UBEC, APC 14x7E prop.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:06 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,171 Posts
Ran out of space. I have about 150 flights on this combo with no problems until today. It was nearly 100 degrees out there when this happened. This is the hottest temp I have flown in yet. I will get it all hooked up to my power meter and do some static pulls later on tonight. Doing a bunch of updates on my notebook so I can use my Castle link to check the ESC. Anybody have any ideas what is going on? One thing I have noticed is my motor is and always has been tight, as in hard to turn by hand. Gave the bearings a squirt of WD-40 recently should I try some real oil? Motor was not hot either time it cut out. Have to wait until I do the power meter test to check the amps I guess.
Last edited by MARCOELDRAGON; Jul 03, 2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: redundant
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:11 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
4,539 Posts
If the esc is beeping that means you lost power, and it started up again. What caused the power to cut out I cant say without checking it out. Sounds like a short somewhere. Just guessing though.
3Dplank is online now Find More Posts by 3Dplank
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:14 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,453 Posts
cold solder joint at the esc, exact thing happen to a friend at the field today
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:17 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,171 Posts
Ah like I should check my crappy soldering jobs?
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:21 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,453 Posts
what connectors do you use?
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:22 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,171 Posts
Deans and I have some trouble getting them soldered right.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:23 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
Deans and I have some trouble getting them soldered right.
I'm in the process of switching all my stuff to Anderson Power Poles. MUCH easier to install.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm