3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:41 PM
United States, MA, Medfield
Joined Jul 2010
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I wouldn't waste your time. Finger tip method and then flying works great!!
I don't know how you could balance and know 82mm vs. 80mm on your finger tips. I wouldn't be able to.

I always find the thing about mid-wing planes is they always fall to either side when balancing as the CG is above the balance points. I have to keep tweaking it back and forth and see if it has a favorite side to fall to.

-l2t
learn2turn is offline Find More Posts by learn2turn
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:09 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post
I don't know how you could balance and know 82mm vs. 80mm on your finger tips. I wouldn't be able to.

I always find the thing about mid-wing planes is they always fall to either side when balancing as the CG is above the balance points. I have to keep tweaking it back and forth and see if it has a favorite side to fall to.

-l2t
I don't know if you could even tell much of a difference from 80mm from 82mm in flight even with zero wind and a perfectly trimmed plane. I doubt I could.
Honestly if putting the plane on a jig will give you more confidence then do it. What we are trying to say is that the recommended CG is just a starting point. It is not a set standard that needs to be upheld. CG is something you need to check and feel by flying the plane. If your initial CG on the bench is close to what they recommend you will fine. No need to get worried about it in any way.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Jun 29, 2012, 05:56 PM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Got my ZTW ESC and AR6115 receiver today. Servos and motor Monday. Hopefully first flights next week!
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:25 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,003 Posts
+100 on 3DHS CUSTOMER SERVICE. I was saying in a previous post that I havent heard back from them after my email. I TOTALLY STAND CORRECTED AND APOLOGIZE as it appears I wasnt getting my emails on my google acct and its already been sent out (even after Noll requested pics that I didnt send due to no email) NOLL, BEN, AMY AND CREW YOU GUYS ROCK......Another paycheck coming your way!!!!
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Dec 2011
113 Posts
A big thanks to quad racer for the tailwheel! I'm back in action ready to fly tomorrow.
Randal McSandal is offline Find More Posts by Randal McSandal
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:05 PM
I've got gas
United States, PA, Quakertown
Joined Aug 2011
365 Posts
Please excuse me if this has been discussed but what are the alternatives to the HS-65MG's?
BrightCap232 is offline Find More Posts by BrightCap232
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:17 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
Lets us know how the glacier batteries come down compared to the gens ace, I have some old gforce batteries that are fantastic over 100 cycles without the slightest signs of puffing, but my more recent ones are no good after 20 cycles, also a lot of my smaller gens aces are now starting to puff and lose their punch, still love all my 2200 and larger gens ace though and some of them are over 100 cycles
The glacier packs performed great today. Flew them side by side with the GFORCE and glaciers performed much better. The gforce are very very hot when they come down and the glacier packs came down cool. In fact they were so cool I didn't even wait to charge them. Just hooked em right up. the glacier packs have a lot more power too. I would say vertical climb is 2 times as fast. I love to enter KE spins from a vertical upline tumble but don't have the velocity with gforce but i can do it no isses with the glacier packs.

I would bet they are the exact same as gens ace. side by side the 2200's look identical to gens ace.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:37 PM
United States, MA, Medfield
Joined Jul 2010
854 Posts
I cut off the excess on the two lower motor bolts and have the 2200mAH dead up against the firewall. Everything on including APC prop, spinner, and wheels and CGs around are 83mm.

I have an ounce or two of sticky lead around. I might measure out 1/4oz at a time and put bit on the firewall until I get to 80mm. Then if I don't get the battery smack up against the firewall, I still won't be tail heavy.

-l2t
learn2turn is offline Find More Posts by learn2turn
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:55 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,278 Posts
I think the recommended CG is usually a sport flyer style CG. I've found when you go with the recommended CG for the first flight most of the time you will adjust the pack back from there until you find the spot you like but never forward if you go with what's recommended. Don't worry about it being exact. The other day my battery partially ejected in my SHP and i thought my servo wasn't centering when the plane started climbing i flew around for another minute then landed. The battery was all the way back by the wingtube when i opened the canopy Being tail heavy won't kill your plane most of the time it will just make it fly poorly. You will probably end up moving the pack back a bit anyways so don't worry about getting to the 80mm mark.
hone1er is offline Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:57 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
I think the recommended CG is usually a sport flyer style CG. I've found when you go with the recommended CG for the first flight most of the time you will adjust the pack back from there until you find the spot you like. Don't worry about it being exact. The other day my battery partially ejected in my SHP and i thought my servo wasn't centering when the plane started climbing i flew around for another minute then landed. The battery was all the way back by the wingtube when i opened the canopy Being tail heavy won't kill your plane most of the time it will just make it fly poorly. You will probably end up moving the pack back a bit anyways so don't worry about getting to the 80mm mark.
Unless you are flying a warbird!!

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:57 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by learn2turn View Post

-l2t
Measure to the CG put a small piece of tape and put both fingers on the tape
hone1er is offline Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:58 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal McSandal View Post
A big thanks to quad racer for the tailwheel! I'm back in action ready to fly tomorrow.
No problem man. Now we just need this 110 degree heat to get gone so we can fly without frying our skin and our electronics!
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:28 AM
Russian Federation, Voronezhskaya oblast, Voronezh
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
I don't measure CG, just adjust my Edge to fly straight both in normal and inverted. And this way I feel it comfortable. Just move battery a little bit forward in windy conditions.
AlexGold is offline Find More Posts by AlexGold
Old Jun 30, 2012, 03:47 PM
United States, MN, Stillwater
Joined May 2012
14 Posts
Anybody else had this problem?
Rico12596 is offline Find More Posts by Rico12596