HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2012, 08:53 PM
When in doubt, mumble
United States, NC, Lincolnton
Joined May 2008
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by javabeans View Post
Not to be a pain, but remember that lowering the throttle does not lower the amp draw, it just shortens the bursts. A motor/prop pulling 37 amps at full throttle is still pulling 37 amps at half throttle, just not all the time (so the average might show as 20 amps). Pulling 37 amps through a 40 amp ESC will damage it over time and eventually cause the magic smoke, it's just a matter of how long that takes.

I'll be quiet now.
Wut? :what:

Sounds like 60% of the time it works all the time. Side note Anchorman 2 is coming out sometime soon.
TyCarp is offline Find More Posts by TyCarp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:42 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyT3FT View Post
Anyone runnig a 40A ESC in theirs? I forget the amp draw for Omega 130, 13x6.5, 3S....
I have a 40 in mine, salvaged from the last airframe. Never had an issue with it on 3s and 14x7.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:46 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,489 Posts
Quote:
Not to be a pain, but remember that lowering the throttle does not lower the amp draw, it just shortens the bursts. A motor/prop pulling 37 amps at full throttle is still pulling 37 amps at half throttle
?
By that logic, my 140 hp engine in my bike is still pumping 140 hp at idle?
I think I'm either misunderstanding something, or that is the craziest thing I've ever heard.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:47 PM
Surrey, B.C.
Joined Feb 2004
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Wow... I just completed the upgrade from 65MG's to 5065MG's all around on my Edge and I'm really impressed with the difference it makes. My ailerons were the only surfaces lacking 5065MG's but after upgrading today my blenders are WAY flatter now. Everything just feels smoother with these servos too.

But again... I made the change at the same time that I put in an external BEC to get 6v (versus 5) to my servos so it's probably a combo thing more than anything else.

I think I'll upgrade my 42" Slick too and see what I think.
You make me glad I grabbed some 5085MG for my 51" slick.
Today my new Exceed 60amp esc arrived & I realize there only 3A/5V SBEC so I guess I need to UBEC for my Edge & extra
Mach3 is offline Find More Posts by Mach3
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:56 PM
Surrey, B.C.
Joined Feb 2004
406 Posts
Quote:
Not to be a pain, but remember that lowering the throttle does not lower the amp draw, it just shortens the bursts. A motor/prop pulling 37 amps at full throttle is still pulling 37 amps at half throttle, just not all the time (so the average might show as 20 amps). Pulling 37 amps through a 40 amp ESC will damage it over time and eventually cause the magic smoke, it's just a matter of how long that takes.

I'll be quiet now.
I can guaranty this is wrong as I can post my CC ICE 75 log from my 48" Edge & it shows the average amp is only 8 & the max is 45+
But the point that pulling close to the max load on most electronic device isn't a good idea is still valid, as that why it's not a good idea to push lipo battery's over 80% of the rated capacity to get a good life out of them.
Mach3 is offline Find More Posts by Mach3
Old Jun 09, 2012, 02:59 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,155 Posts
Did another 5 flights yesterday morning in the most wind I have yet tried the Edge in. It was 9mph with gusts of up to 15. It puckered my butt a few times while on the ground changing batteries. Warm and sunny so I stuck it out and had a wonderful time. My confidence and possibly my feeble skills continue to build the more I fly this plane. Counting all 3 Edges I have 121 flights under my belt now and love this plane more every time the wheels get off of the ground. Pop tops continue to improve but having trouble getting a nice looking flat spin either inverted or upright. Getting a KE spin started is still more miss than hit. Wind is supposed to be only about 5 mph today so hope to get some better practice in. Fly hard and land soft my friends.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:33 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,533 Posts
Ok, i need to know why my 48'' edge will not lock into a KE spin. I can do them with my other planes but not this one. Any ideas? It does everything else great.
3Daddict is online now Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Jun 09, 2012, 10:36 AM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
For me the Edge is one of my easier planes to get into KE spin. Not sure what's going on.
tominator06 is online now Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:17 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
For me the Edge is one of my easier planes to get into KE spin. Not sure what's going on.
That is what I am trying to figure out, maybe I am to tail heavy? I go straght up and do a hammer head then enter the KE spin like it says to do in scott stoops book. It works on all my other planes but not this one. I can get maybe two or three rotations and then it falls out.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:20 AM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
That is what I am trying to figure out, maybe I am to tail heavy? I go straght up and do a hammer head then enter the KE spin like it says to do in scott stoops book. It works on all my other planes but not this one. I can get maybe two or three rotations and then it falls out.
how much left aileron are you giving it? mine requires 0 aileron input.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:21 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer View Post
how much left aileron are you giving it? mine requires 0 aileron input.
not giving any aileron.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
have u tried giving it some?

How much down elevator throw do you have?
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:27 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer View Post
have u tried giving it some?

How much down elevator throw do you have?
no I have not tried giving it any aileron. I do not know the exact amount of elevator I have I just set it up by eye and then adjusted it by feel. I have a good amount though. I would say 45 degrees if i had to guess plus or minus 5-6.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
no I have not tried giving it any aileron. I do not know the exact amount of elevator I have I just set it up by eye and then adjusted it by feel. I have a good amount though. I would say 45 degrees if i had to guess plus or minus 5-6.
ok, that should do. I have an absurd amount of elevator throw though. When I give full down I can touch the runway with it. Might try feeding in some aileron. Maybe even as much as half stick.

Also, if you aren't neutral or more forward it may make it harder. I say that because I run mine a little forward and I have never missed a KE spin with this plane. No matter how I enter.
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:46 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Nailed down my pop tops this morning. For me it takes a quick transition from full left aileron on entry and full down but neutral aileron and then a little right aileron and slowly pulling to neutral elevator and neutral aileron. Sometimes I need a little up elevator towards the end to keep the nose up.

Still not as much rotation energy as my 51" Slick at the top but I'm getting at least a full rotation and sometimes 1.5.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm