Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 02, 2012, 05:18 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
if you can find out the number of it let me know. I might buy one and slap it on the rudder of my edge just to try it out. I already have the sh-0255mg digital in there now. I figure I can land without the rudder if I have to, though that would not be ideal.
If you are afraid of it locking up I would NOT put it in the rudder buy two of them (they are so cheap anyway) and put them in the ailerons, I had a 65mg lock up on my 42" slick on the right aileron it was half way deflected up and I did not relize it until I couldn't stop my plane from tourqe rolling so then I harrier landed without a problem. Then about 2 weeks later I went vertical went to go into a hammer head and nothing happen plane just fell, quickly found out that I had no rudder I just got lucky that it got stuck in the middle if it was deflected I don't think I would have been able to recover it. So I don't know about you but if you are worried about them locking up I would put them in the ailerons.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2012, 06:49 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,008 Posts
This would be a better solar servo for an equivalent to the 65mg. More torque.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d654.html
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Jun 02, 2012, 07:05 PM
Infinite Zenith
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Sep 2006
2,467 Posts
I don't if anyone else has had this problem. I've set up the pull pull rudder with new 65MGs. Sometimes the servo doesn't move at all when I move the sticks and makes that buzzing sound. Probably too much tension on the wires?
Draven is offline Find More Posts by Draven
Old Jun 02, 2012, 10:10 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planelover93 View Post
I don't if anyone else has had this problem. I've set up the pull pull rudder with new 65MGs. Sometimes the servo doesn't move at all when I move the sticks and makes that buzzing sound. Probably too much tension on the wires?
Never had that problem....take the servo arm off of the servo and see if it does it then...and try another servo in the same slot in your receiver...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jun 02, 2012, 10:25 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planelover93 View Post
Yeah your wires should not be loose but shouldnt be banjo tight, but even if they were super tight the servo should still work. Also make sure that your EZ connectors aren't tightened to tight on the servo arm. They should be able to spin freely.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Jun 02, 2012, 10:44 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Got some time on the edge today. Winds were up there but steady for my earlier flights but these last 2 the wind was quite variable. Seems like it was going from 4 to 10-12 in a split second. I thought she wasn't as crisp as usual but contributed that to the wind. After the last flight I opened the canopy to unplug the battery and noticed how loose my rudder cables were. Upon further inspection the opening I enlarged for the hs85 servo was a tiny bit too much. The servo screws must not have held enough and the servo moved back a very tiny bit. This is something new as I frequently check those cables. I did hit lvc on a pack last weekend which resulted in a tough landing but everything seemed fine upon checking it out. No biggie I will probably just cut a piece of thin balsa the exact size of the hs 85 and laminate it on there. That way I can have fresh wood to reset the servo retainer screws into.
watch in 720p
3dobbyshop 48 Edge 540 - 6-2-12 Fun flights (4 min 54 sec)
tominator06 is online now Find More Posts by tominator06
Last edited by tominator06; Jun 02, 2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 11:23 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
Got some time on the edge today. Winds were up there but steady for my earlier flights but these last 2 the wind was quite variable. Seems like it was going from 4 to 10-12 in a split second. I thought she wasn't as crisp as usual but contributed that to the wind. After the last flight I opened the canopy to unplug the battery and noticed how loose my rudder cables were. Upon further inspection the opening I enlarged for the hs85 servo was a tiny bit too much. The servo screws must not have held enough and the servo moved back a very tiny bit. This is something new as I frequently check those cables. I did hit lvc on a pack last weekend which resulted in a tough landing but everything seemed fine upon checking it out. No biggie I will probably just cut a piece of thin balsa the exact size of the hs 85 and laminate it on there. That way I can have fresh wood to reset the servo retainer screws into.
watch in 720p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dx2E...mment_received
Nice
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:08 AM
When in doubt, mumble
United States, NC, Lincolnton
Joined May 2008
166 Posts
Did my first 48 edge take off and "landing" without the plane touching the ground aka hover catch. There was zero wind so I had to try it
TyCarp is offline Find More Posts by TyCarp
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:48 AM
Byron C
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
713 Posts
Quote:
Got some time on the edge today. Winds were up there but steady for my earlier flights but these last 2 the wind was quite variable...
Nice flying Tom.

The video quality looks darn good too. What video cam are you using? I've been shopping around for a small one to put on a head band or hat.

Byron
3DeltaFly is offline Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:06 AM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCarp View Post
Did my first 48 edge take off and "landing" without the plane touching the ground aka hover catch. There was zero wind so I had to try it
I do it with my foamy all the time, however after seeing some photos of some one who got there face all cut up by the prop of a 42'' AJ slick I have decided It is not worth it to try on a bigger balsa plane.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:20 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
watch in 720p
Nice flying as always Tom! I love the low rollers. Very nice... especially in that wind. The inverted pop tops are always pretty cool too!

I see that the bottom tip of your rudder looks just like mine!

Is that someone's signature under your cowl??
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:21 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCarp View Post
Very nice!! If I remember correctly your fiance is a nurse... if so then keep her nearby on those hover catches! LOL!
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:24 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Man I really love flying this edge with 6v going to my servos. It really makes a huge difference in just about every way... my servos are WAY snappier and the holding power is immensely better. My blenders would always end kinda sloppy with the plane descending and flopping around a bit but now it virtually stops and holds a nice tight spin. I'm loving it! I've also noticed that it takes less rudder for KE flight than before so I guess I was getting a little blowback on 5v (although not a ton because I was still do HAKE and easily pulling off KE loops).

Anyway - for those of you that are flying on anything less than 6v I can't say it strongly enough - do yourself a favor and get a simple $15 UBEC from Motrofly and upgrade... WELL worth it!!
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:30 AM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DeltaFly View Post
Nice flying Tom.

The video quality looks darn good too. What video cam are you using? I've been shopping around for a small one to put on a head band or hat.

Byron
I'm using a Sony Bloggie Hd cam I got at walmart. The only drawback is the auto focus which cant be disabled. This camera also has developed a creeking sound as it self adjusts its focus sometimes. It's very annoying so I try and edit it out of the vids. You can hear it once in a while where I didn't cacth it in editing. Might possibly be fixed with a good cleaning. Not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Nice flying as always Tom! I love the low rollers. Very nice... especially in that wind. The inverted pop tops are always pretty cool too!

I see that the bottom tip of your rudder looks just like mine!

Is that someone's signature under your cowl??
Yeah Dennis Anderson signed it last weekend when I was down there at his place for the no limit rc monstertruck world finals. Dennis saw me flying it friday morning before the rc truck racing got started. I didn't know he was behind me and all I heard was "That's Bada$$". I used it to take that gopro video I posted as well which he also thought was cool. Saturday afternoon he was hanging out signing stuff and I figured what the heck.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:39 AM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Man I really love flying this edge with 6v going to my servos. It really makes a huge difference in just about every way... my servos are WAY snappier and the holding power is immensely better. My blenders would always end kinda sloppy with the plane descending and flopping around a bit but now it virtually stops and holds a nice tight spin. I'm loving it! I've also noticed that it takes less rudder for KE flight than before so I guess I was getting a little blowback on 5v (although not a ton because I was still do HAKE and easily pulling off KE loops).

Anyway - for those of you that are flying on anything less than 6v I can't say it strongly enough - do yourself a favor and get a simple $15 UBEC from Motrofly and upgrade... WELL worth it!!
I've never flown my shp or edge on less than 6v. Since I found those loose rudder cables I am going to go through and recheck all throws on all surfaces. She has been flown hard for many many flights and I haven't rechecked my throws in a while. I'm curious how much better mine will be when I tighten up those rudder cables.
It's windy again here today but I plan on flying anyway after I go through her.