HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2011, 04:58 AM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,545 Posts
You have plenty of rudder authority if the plane will KE loop right?

My rudder doesn't hit the elevator but I was able to pull out of a KE loop
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2011, 05:24 AM
Byron C
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFisch View Post
I have slightly less than 45 degrees of travel on aileron and elevator, but plenty enough on rudder. I measured it wrong during setup. How will this affect flight performance?
28 degrees is the max. suggested 3D throw for ailerons, as per manual. So you've got more than 'nuff there and may even want to crank it back a bit. Mine is also little tight on elevator throw, measuring in the 42 to 43 degrees range. I haven't found this few degrees short to present a problem, at least not for my preferred CG setting close to (just fwd. of) neutral; where a small amount of "down elevator" (push) is required to maintain straight and level inverted flight.
3DeltaFly is offline Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Old Aug 04, 2011, 07:20 AM
Byron C
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2011
707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
You have plenty of rudder authority if the plane will KE loop right?

My rudder doesn't hit the elevator but I was able to pull out of a KE loop
Sounds like you're good to go. Even at 45 degrees full deflection the rudder on mine is still a good 1/4" from the elevator.
3DeltaFly is offline Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Old Aug 04, 2011, 08:03 AM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,545 Posts
I haven't measured the actual throw on any of the surfaces. I used the "that's about right" method of calibration and setup.

Works well for me.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Aug 04, 2011, 09:51 AM
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
edge 540 vs extra 300

Hi guys
What are the flight differences between these planes, i am trying to see if the 540 is right for me,
My experience is with the pkz t-28, and i am doing almost everything you can do with it,
Thanks
roneng is offline Find More Posts by roneng
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:54 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,988 Posts
Mine arrived yesterday. Man, it looks sweet. I am glad I bought it.

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:56 AM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vienquach View Post
Mine arrived yesterday. Man, it looks sweet. I am glad I bought it.

Vien
just wait till you fly it. what a sweet little plane! I love mine
aerosheldon is online now Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:08 AM
Riley O'Brien
Waverly, NE
Joined Jul 2008
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneng View Post
Hi guys
What are the flight differences between these planes, i am trying to see if the 540 is right for me,
My experience is with the pkz t-28, and i am doing almost everything you can do with it,
Thanks
Honestly...at this size the differences are slight. I have flown the 48" edge and the 47" shp and for a new pilot I would not suggest one over the other simply because the performance is so similar and you can grow with both planes. One thing that has been discussed is the wire landing gear of the edge...in my opinion it is a plus for new pilots who may not land perfectly every time.

The differences that I notice in the two would be the edge is more floaty than the extra...the extra seems a little more locked in at higher speeds and the edge is slightly more stable a lower speeds. The edge seems to need a bit less correction in harrier but the extra with sfg's is very close.

I would suggest buying whichever one you think looks cooler because at this point you probably won't notice much difference between the two and neither has a downside or huge benefit that will either hinder or expedite your progress. They both fly awesome and you won't be disappointed with either.
obrieri is offline Find More Posts by obrieri
Old Aug 04, 2011, 12:38 PM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roneng View Post
Hi guys
Thanks
You are going to notice a WORLD of difference between the T-28 and any 3DHS plane. I went from the T-28 to the $99 Buck Huck as my first balsa plane. I don't have any experienc with the Buck and Half huck but I do own two other 47/48" 3DHS planes. The T-28 is a fun warbird to fly, no doubt about it. Now take the T-28 and jack the fun factor up by a factor of at least 50 and that will give you some idea about flying a 3DHS plane. Regardless of which 3DHS plane you get I'd recommend going with the recommended components from the 3DHS web site. Yes you can use alternate components but for your first one go with the recommended hardware and you will be rewarded with a fantastic flying airplane. Don't let the transition from foam to balsa worry you. It did me and I was really nervous about flying it for the first time. Now it doesn't bother me one bit. Yes you want to be careful with the balsa planes but they are tougher than they look. Best of luck with whatever plane you decide to buy. You won't be disappointed!
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Aug 04, 2011, 12:43 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Quote:
Honestly...at this size the differences are slight. I have flown the 48" edge and the 47" shp and for a new pilot I would not suggest one over the other simply because the performance is so similar and you can grow with both planes. One thing that has been discussed is the wire landing gear of the edge...in my opinion it is a plus for new pilots who may not land perfectly every time.

The differences that I notice in the two would be the edge is more floaty than the extra...the extra seems a little more locked in at higher speeds and the edge is slightly more stable a lower speeds. The edge seems to need a bit less correction in harrier but the extra with sfg's is very close.
I agree with this. Good comparison. Note that in the Fall the 47" SHP is coming back with some improvements to shake things up a little.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 04, 2011, 12:54 PM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
WHAT!!! MORE INFO BEN. (fyi:thanks on the cowling)
boatdoc is offline Find More Posts by boatdoc
Old Aug 04, 2011, 01:00 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
2,988 Posts
The 48" Edge is a really good size plane.
Small enough to fly anywhere, fit any car, but big enough to see it and to feel the aerodynamics.
I am not a geek.

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Aug 04, 2011, 01:04 PM
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
thanks for the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackJones View Post
You are going to notice a WORLD of difference between the T-28 and any 3DHS plane. I went from the T-28 to the $99 Buck Huck as my first balsa plane. I don't have any experienc with the Buck and Half huck but I do own two other 47/48" 3DHS planes. The T-28 is a fun warbird to fly, no doubt about it. Now take the T-28 and jack the fun factor up by a factor of at least 50 and that will give you some idea about flying a 3DHS plane. Regardless of which 3DHS plane you get I'd recommend going with the recommended components from the 3DHS web site. Yes you can use alternate components but for your first one go with the recommended hardware and you will be rewarded with a fantastic flying airplane. Don't let the transition from foam to balsa worry you. It did me and I was really nervous about flying it for the first time. Now it doesn't bother me one bit. Yes you want to be careful with the balsa planes but they are tougher than they look. Best of luck with whatever plane you decide to buy. You won't be disappointed!
Cool, i just wanted to verify that i am not jumping to high with this plane coming from the t-28
Thanks, i will order
roneng is offline Find More Posts by roneng
Old Aug 04, 2011, 01:11 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Quote:
WHAT!!! MORE INFO BEN.
Nope, not until after we finish the move.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 04, 2011, 01:33 PM
Learning is worth the effort
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jan 2009
240 Posts
Ahh yeess...the move...sounds like a good excuse for a Grand Opening Garage Sale. Hint, hint.
lbrinson is offline Find More Posts by lbrinson