HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2011, 02:08 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,540 Posts
I will do a hover catch with the 48 soon. I tried yesterday but wasn't able to hold the hover steady enough.

I'm not sure if maybe I have too much expo or not enough or just need to relax.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2011, 02:25 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
19,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
Yup. Walmart parking lot at night under the lights. Truck stops when your traveling, Wife and kids need to hit the rest stop for a potty break was a killer for me now I just break out the 48 and fly.
Once you learn to harrier.. where you can fly has no limits.

Take the dogs for a walk. Absolutely dear!!! drive to the nearest buisness park cut the dogs loose and fly!!!!!!!!!!
The 48 is always in the trunk and ready
+1. couldn't agree more.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Aug 03, 2011, 02:35 PM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
+1. couldn't agree more.
Judging by what you do in the yard (103" ) you could fly this INSIDE the car!!!
aerosheldon is online now Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Aug 03, 2011, 03:04 PM
3DHS Addict
Little Rock, Arkansas
Joined Jun 2004
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
I will do a hover catch with the 48 soon. I tried yesterday but wasn't able to hold the hover steady enough.

I did my first hover catch with the 48 yesterday evening. It took me a while to finally get it in the right spot and bam, reached out and grabbed it. It was awesome!
adam345 is offline Find More Posts by adam345
Old Aug 03, 2011, 03:34 PM
Team 3DHS
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,181 Posts
Ok...if Craig's gonna try hover-catch....I'm in too....guess I'll have to try with the 48 edge or vyper..

Speaking about BOTH new 48's.....If you really want a 48 that tolerates grass the best, the supervyper is great....the long low stance is very stable on the ground and the forward mounted gear and long tail makes the vyper immune to nose overs in normal grass....very nice.

I'm glad I have both planes...I really like them both....each has their own feel....both are great for all types of flying. Vyper is more precise but still 3d's very well...easy to takeoff and land in grass. The edge has very good pitch authority and is easier to fly like you are mad at it since it is cheaper. For the record....my "spare" edge arrived late last week from the 2nd shipment...time to fly the first one even harder!!!!
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2011, 04:18 PM
Byron C
Joined Apr 2011
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post

I hear ya Craig, and was going through the same this morning. Can't get 'nuff rudder input quick enough to hold 'er from sliding out to the side during hover. It was a bit breezy, but I'm still going reduce the rudder expo and give that a go next flying session.

Man this thing flies great on 3S 2200, Omega 130 and APC 14x7E. At about 80% throttle and flying KE, coupling is very light, almost unnoticeable (CG is set very close to neutral).

This is my 1st 3DHS plane, and I'll definitely be buying more.
3DeltaFly is offline Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Old Aug 03, 2011, 04:41 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,635 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me like if you don't have enough rudder authority to hold a hover you might want to move your CG back a little. It could just be something you get better at with practice though.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 03, 2011, 04:47 PM
Byron C
Joined Apr 2011
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me like if you don't have enough rudder authority to hold a hover you might want to move your CG back a little. It could just be something you get better at with practice though.
Yeah, ya want your CG neutral for good hoverability (is that a word i.e. just a smidgen forward of flying tail heavy. Of course tail heavy hovers nicely, but all other flight characteristics are compromised, so best to avoid being heavy in the caboose.
3DeltaFly is offline Find More Posts by 3DeltaFly
Old Aug 03, 2011, 06:59 PM
Team 3DHS
Joined Apr 2010
4,181 Posts
I like noseheavy planes and lower expo.....try it and let me know why you like it more tailheavy than I do...

This spring I found my epp was easier to hover with lower expo.....I had maybe 80% or more in it....found that I like maybe 60% on my JR radio.....then I found the same thing true with my balsa....all the way up to my 104.....lower expo to 60% also helped my harriers.....no tailheavy required.....and I like "pushing" while inverted.....makes inverted flight much more comfy when you already expect to push.......another thing that really helped.....at NALL I noticed that Joe's stick tension was HEAVY....and I cranked mine ALL the way up.....heavy spring tension provides great feedback on when you are ACTUALLY moving the sticks....and this helps a lot to avoid unwanted inputs and make your intended inputs acknowledged with feeling.....helps a LOT around neutral on both sticks......another nice thing is to use a HELI radio with no detents on the throttle.....smoother hovers and all around throttle control.

Try some of those things and see if it helps.....then let us know what you think.......just work them in one at a time to find out what you like without being overwhelmed.....and have fun.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2011, 07:05 PM
Just Fly The Damn Thing
United States, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Sep 2010
629 Posts
Gotta plus 1 on Bevins here. Like a little push on inverted and 60% expo My right stick has more tension then my throttle 9503 Heli.
boatdoc is offline Find More Posts by boatdoc
Old Aug 03, 2011, 07:51 PM
Just do it.
Stroudsburg, PA
Joined Nov 2009
670 Posts
I have slightly less than 45 degrees of travel on aileron and elevator, but plenty enough on rudder. I measured it wrong during setup. How will this affect flight performance?
FlyFisch is offline Find More Posts by FlyFisch
Old Aug 03, 2011, 08:09 PM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,789 Posts
you have to take the 8fg apart to change the springs, right? I had my A9 cranked on the springs and really liked it. As you said when doing something new like an inverted harrier I am so jazzed up that sometimes I am giving aileron with elevator and didn't realize it with the low spring tension.
aerosheldon is online now Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:13 PM
Champlin, MN
Joined Feb 2010
214 Posts
pics

Snapped some pics with our new Sony A580 tonight.
ferch is offline Find More Posts by ferch
Old Aug 03, 2011, 11:15 PM
Joined Dec 2006
33 Posts
I wanted to try something to get a little more rudder authority so I bolted on a set of these: http://www.advantagehobby.com/produc...roductid=56220

Really helped the rudder out and actually took out the little bit of wing rocking I was getting in harrier. Rollers always seem to get easier with SFG's, so they were also much easier (for those of us that are still working on perfecting rollers).
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Old Aug 04, 2011, 01:02 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
19,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
Ok...if Craig's gonna try hover-catch....I'm in too....guess I'll have to try with the 48 edge or vyper..

Speaking about BOTH new 48's.....If you really want a 48 that tolerates grass the best, the supervyper is great....the long low stance is very stable on the ground and the forward mounted gear and long tail makes the vyper immune to nose overs in normal grass....very nice.

I'm glad I have both planes...I really like them both....each has their own feel....both are great for all types of flying. Vyper is more precise but still 3d's very well...easy to takeoff and land in grass. The edge has very good pitch authority and is easier to fly like you are mad at it since it is cheaper. For the record....my "spare" edge arrived late last week from the 2nd shipment...time to fly the first one even harder!!!!
the little Vyper is the perfect fuselage for hand catching, and she hovers super well
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM