HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2012, 10:11 PM
Surrey, B.C.
Joined Feb 2004
406 Posts
Awesome flying tominator, the wind noise isn't bad too me aleast.
After trying to unglue my motorbox parts off the first tailless plane,I might just order I new one as I need a new cowl anyway.

Any reason why you say 51" Slick janole ?

Marco my crash was coming into land too but I just miss judged the distance to the goal post

One question I have is if I do get a replacement edge do I order the same blue or do I glue the orange this time as other have done, opinions please ?
The reason I ask is because sometime in the morning I have a hard time telling if the plane is right side up or not do to the colors used on the wing.
I love how it looks in blue on the ground but it's the flying where it really counts right
Mach3 is offline Find More Posts by Mach3
Last edited by Mach3; May 12, 2012 at 10:18 PM. Reason: add something
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 10:15 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach3 View Post
Awesome flying tominator, the wind noise isn't bad too me aleast.
After trying to unglue my motorbox parts off the first tailless plane,I might just order I new one as I need a new cowl anyway.
Any reason why you say 51" Slick janole ?

Also Marco my crash was coming into land too but I just miss judged the distance to the goal post
i own the 42 slick, 48 edge, 51 slick, 48 epp edge, 60" EF extra and the 51" is the best of the lot, there are things that the others many do better(small things) but the 51" just inspires confidence
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old May 12, 2012, 10:15 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
moral of these stories.... find places to fly without objects in the way of landing approach.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old May 12, 2012, 10:21 PM
Surrey, B.C.
Joined Feb 2004
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer View Post
moral of these stories.... find places to fly without objects in the way of landing approach.
Yes this is true but I was too lazy to drive any futher this morning & it's hard as around here almost every open field has a soccer, football goal posts or some big light stands so there hard to avoid sometimes.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:03 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer View Post
You mean like cars, trees, and street signs? LOL!!

Oh and Mach... I also highly recommend the 51" Slick!

3DHS 51" Slick - Huckin' in the hood (5 min 54 sec)
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old May 13, 2012, 12:03 AM
Surrey, B.C.
Joined Feb 2004
406 Posts
Nice flying turnerm
You guys make it look so easy, I'm still working on harrier's & just starting to try rolling circles.
I can do all the loop, rolls, blenders & KE spins so I getting there slowly
If the 51" Slick was instock I would just get that & fix my edge but since it's not & there no ETA (I just emailed rob @ADC) yet but I'm thinking I'll get a spare edge or maybe a yak to tide me over until the 51" Slick comes in
What battery / motor combo's do you guys run in your 51" Slicks ?
Too many cool planes to choose from
Last edited by Mach3; May 13, 2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:16 AM
Russian Federation, Voronezhskaya oblast, Voronezh
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
Fabricated a tailwheel wire out of a spare servo linkage rod and some plyers. While waiting for the glue to take I turned to look at my phone and the screwdriver I was holding pressure with slipped. Clean stab through the stab. Needless to say I was upset. Flew 2 packs through her after with the gopro strapped on. I moved the camera ahead this time. Wind noise was terrible. I uploaded the second video. She was a little nose heavy but still flew decent like that.Sorry abot the wind noise. I will most likely upload another with some tunes.
Nice video! Want to make one with GoPro in the same position, but you were first
AlexGold is offline Find More Posts by AlexGold
Old May 13, 2012, 03:23 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,155 Posts
As promised here is the crash video. Too windy for me to do anything fancy so just skip to the end to catch the mayhem. 3 feet more and I would have cleared the first roof. Do any of you get a strange feeling in your gut right before a crash or other stupid mistake? I did and chose to ignore it. Last time the wife filmed me I hit the power-lines and this time an entire school. I'm beginning to see a pattern here.

Bank Shot Landing (5 min 37 sec)

I need a motor box for sure and a cowling. The wing is fixable but is the one I crunched the wingtip on when it was blown over on the ground a while ago. Landing gear and wheel pants are trashed again. 3 broken formers, 1 broke stringer and both sides of the fuselage where the wings mount are busted up pretty badly. Looks like I order another whole plane on Thursday and throw this one in the closet for spares. (along with the original blue one)

Mach3 I too love the looks of the blue on on the ground. When flying it in a very blue sky I had trouble at times seeing it. Several times I looked down to check my timer and looked back up quickly and the Edge seemed to disappear. This is not a problem with the orange one. If you get one please wait until after Thursday morning LOL. Oh and I was too lazy to drive the extra 2 miles to my normal spot where there are no trees, light poles, buildings or much of anything but 2 foot high grass.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Last edited by MARCOELDRAGON; May 13, 2012 at 03:31 AM. Reason: more info
Old May 13, 2012, 04:19 AM
Surrey, B.C.
Joined Feb 2004
406 Posts
Sorry to say Marco but I will most likely order one once I hear back from Rob@ADC on the slick as if it due in soon I might just fix mine & wait but I might just get another blue one.
I do need to find open field that free of objects but around here that's hard to find, as most sport field have goal posts or light.
I just need to win the lottery then build my own big RC park with a private flying field & a big covered dirt track for my cars.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:20 AM
Russian Federation, Voronezhskaya oblast, Voronezh
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
As promised here is the crash video. Too windy for me to do anything fancy so just skip to the end to catch the mayhem. 3 feet more and I would have cleared the first roof. Do any of you get a strange feeling in your gut right before a crash or other stupid mistake? I did and chose to ignore it. Last time the wife filmed me I hit the power-lines and this time an entire school. I'm beginning to see a pattern here.
Two times I have bad dreams with car crashes before I crashed my real cars. Now, when bad dream happens, I drive very carefully or stay at home.
The same with airplanes. When I have some strange feeling, I stay on the ground.
AlexGold is offline Find More Posts by AlexGold
Old May 13, 2012, 08:38 AM
Crash - Rebuild - Repeat
Atlanta, GA
Joined Aug 2007
496 Posts
turnerm -- Great flying!! I kept expecting a semi-truck to come along and take it out of the sky while you were torque-rolling over the road.

MARCOELDRAGON -- Dude...how did you get it off the roof of the school?? And yes, I get that sick feeling...right as it's augering into the ground...almost every time.
efether is offline Find More Posts by efether
Old May 13, 2012, 09:17 AM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGold View Post
Nice video! Want to make one with GoPro in the same position, but you were first
Thanks. I did it first on the 71 and this is the second time on the 48 facing backwards. The first time I had the camera back closer o the canopy. Although it affected the cg more while forward I think I like the camera angle better. It really give you an idea how much the surfaces move.
Give it a go and post the vid.
tominator06 is online now Find More Posts by tominator06
Last edited by tominator06; May 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old May 13, 2012, 09:38 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,155 Posts
My neighbor is a painter and had a nice long extension ladder on his truck. Tried to get permission from someone at the school first but it being a Saturday no one answered the phone. So we drove up leaned the ladder against the building like we were supposed to be there and I made a quick climb and then a hasty retreat. Kind of brought back memories of my first fixed wing RC flight when I had to have my wife hold a ladder for me so I could sneak my plane off of a barn roof in the middle of the night. Ah the good old days!

Currently weighing my options of fixing it, buying another orange Edge, or putting the electronics into a 48 EPP Extra 330SC.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old May 13, 2012, 10:03 AM
Got the Slickness
Seattle, WA
Joined Jul 2010
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
You mean like cars, trees, and street signs? LOL!!

Oh and Mach... I also highly recommend the 51" Slick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgFcQ...e_gdata_player

Call me weird, but I still love the old schemes.
gabrielisrael is offline Find More Posts by gabrielisrael
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2012, 11:05 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielisrael View Post
Call me weird, but I still love the old schemes.
It's odd because when I first got this plane (I bought it used from a local guy) I liked the newer scheme better but this classic scheme has really grown on me and now I love it!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm