HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2012, 07:56 AM
Russian Federation, Voronezhskaya oblast, Voronezh
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
Continued shooting video of places, where I'm flying. Here is abandoned quarry near my work. Most of time I fly here.

3DHS Edge 540 48" video from the board, shooted at Voronez, Pridonskoy (4 min 11 sec)
AlexGold is offline Find More Posts by AlexGold
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 08:28 AM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,666 Posts
nice video Alex. Well done. What kind of camera is that? it didn't flinch a bit! and how did you mount it?
big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old May 04, 2012, 08:37 AM
Russian Federation, Voronezhskaya oblast, Voronezh
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
Thanks! It's GoPro and it's mounted direct to fuselage with adhesive velcro tape
AlexGold is offline Find More Posts by AlexGold
Old May 04, 2012, 09:03 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Yes CA is dangerous... just imagine that it wants to cure inside you... that is enough for me to make sure I have ventilation.
I can't be positive but the other day I swear I think this happened. I'll tell you what I THINK happened first and then offer another possibel scenario as well.

So I was building my new 48" EPP Extra (sweet plane by the way). It doesn't require much CA - mainly just welders so I wasn't wearing my mask or ventilating (stupid given my past experience) at all. I used some CA on my hinges and that was OK I think. The problem came when I was gluing the nut onto the swivel connector. I used some kicker to cure it and it sent fumes right up my nose. I know it did because it burned. Well - about 2 minutes later I felt like I was getting a fever blister or something on my upper lip. I went and looked in the bathroom mirror and noticed that I had died up CA on my upper lip and it looked as if it had drained out of my nose!!! So I honestly think that the fumes started to cure in my nose and it made my nose run but it dried up/cured on my lip as it was coming out.

Now that's just some crazy hardcore crap!!!

It's either that or I had some on my fingers and it somehow got onto my upper lip from there and then cured. But I honestly think that it came from the fumes that went into my nose.

If that's the case then you can see why some people really develop some serious respiratory issues with this stuff.

Moral of the story - treat this stuff with respect and wear the proper gear no matter how small the job is.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old May 04, 2012, 09:49 AM
3D-wanna-B
Lynchburg, VA
Joined Dec 2008
309 Posts
Maybe I'm missing the point, but I've built about 10 balsa planes, six from scratch, and have never used Kicker. CA glue (thin which is used most) cures very quickly anyway... why use kicker?

That story is a little scary Turnerm.
theK2 is offline Find More Posts by theK2
Old May 04, 2012, 09:59 AM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Yea it will cure pretty fast on just soaking in balsa to balsa, but bonding and setting on two different materials, especially non-porous like metal (Pull-Pull) crimps that take a long time to set.

When I only have a few hours each evening to build I am not waiting around for it to cure. Plus when I have done that and move on, it never fails that I grab hold in a spot that is uncured and amazingly it will bond your fingers in seconds (not the parts) and I end up with white spots and sometimes damaged covering.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old May 04, 2012, 10:28 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theK2 View Post
Maybe I'm missing the point, but I've built about 10 balsa planes, six from scratch, and have never used Kicker. CA glue (thin which is used most) cures very quickly anyway... why use kicker?

That story is a little scary Turnerm.
I use kicker mainly when I'm putting the nuts on the swivel connectors. It takes FOREVER for that stuff to cure on there so the kicker just makes the build process much faster.

But the time that I had it the worst was when I built my Multiplex Fun Cub. It basically comes as a bunch of foam that you have to glue together. If you don't use kicker then you'll end up holding two parts together for quite a while as the CA doesn't seem to set very quickly on the type of foam that they use. I had flu-like symptoms for several days after that build process.
Old May 04, 2012, 10:38 AM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904 View Post
whats the highest MAH in 3s have you guys run?
2700 +/- for good 3D performance
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old May 04, 2012, 10:57 AM
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
4,513 Posts
Hey Rob what size insert is needed for the falcon 14x7props to fit the omega motor? I ordered the inserts but they are to small.
3Dplank is offline Find More Posts by 3Dplank
Old May 04, 2012, 03:19 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGold View Post
Continued shooting video of places, where I'm flying. Here is abandoned quarry near my work. Most of time I fly here.
Tried to find the place on Google Earth....but couldn't find it....oh well....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old May 04, 2012, 03:36 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Tried to find the place on Google Earth....but couldn't find it....oh well....

SteveT
LOL! You mean you coudln't find that one little spot in Google Earth within that little country we call Russia? Geez man...
Old May 04, 2012, 06:31 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
LOL! You mean you coudln't find that one little spot in Google Earth within that little country we call Russia? Geez man...
Well...I did put the name of the city in, and found that....I figured a quarry shouldn't be too hard to find....but alas, I was unable to find it....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old May 04, 2012, 08:47 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
2,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Well...I did put the name of the city in, and found that....I figured a quarry shouldn't be too hard to find....but alas, I was unable to find it....SteveT
Secret rock quarry maybe?

Ron
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
Old May 04, 2012, 10:11 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,735 Posts
got to the flying field charged the batteries got the edge out and no wing tube....... DOH! oh well fly it tomorrow.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old May 04, 2012, 10:13 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
4,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer View Post
got to the flying field charged the batteries got the edge out and no wing tube....... DOH! oh well fly it tomorrow.
I did that yesterday, but I forgot my radio.
3Dplank is offline Find More Posts by 3Dplank