HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:53 PM
When in doubt, mumble
United States, NC, Lincolnton
Joined May 2008
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer View Post
Lol, CALM DOWN! we are talking a 2 dollar part here. between me and a buddy we have 3 3dhs planes this size. That makes 6 wheels that size.. All are broke but 1. We went with dubro and they are unbreakable IMO.

Hope my first post about wheels didn't offend anyone.

No broken wheels here.
http://youtu.be/lYAsDbzWjvU
Wow sh*t hit the fan quick on that one! Would be very proud of myself for getting it back flat in that case.

Taking the edge out for it's maiden here shortly. Very excited!
TyCarp is offline Find More Posts by TyCarp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:55 PM
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Jan 2009
5,126 Posts
Quote:
No broken wheels here.
Ouch Dave, what happened there?
How bad was the damage?
Never mind; subsequent posts told the story.
SnowDog1974 is online now Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:05 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCarp View Post
Wow sh*t hit the fan quick on that one! Would be very proud of myself for getting it back flat in that case.

Taking the edge out for it's maiden here shortly. Very excited!
you're going to love it! You gotta do a KE spin with it. It'll leave u grinning.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:07 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974 View Post
Ouch Dave, what happened there?
How bad was the damage?
Never mind; subsequent posts told the story.
That was me thinking that flying balsa was the way to learn to hover. That video is quite old.. I think December 3rd 2011. I have about 25-30 hours on a foamy hovering since then. That stuff seems to not happen to my balsa planes nearly as much since I got the foam lol.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:11 PM
Bob Templeton
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Apr 2007
3,879 Posts
I've been talking about it for months...now I've finally done it. I maiden-ed her today...got four great flights in. She flies very well. She's outfitted with the Omega, a 14x7 APC, and 3S 2200 30C. I'm getting about a 6:30 flight with very good 3D performance. Overall, I'm very happy with this bird!
T3chDad is online now Find More Posts by T3chDad
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Flight Log Update!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:48 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,114 Posts
Quote:
Those wheels are the cheapest worst things ever. fo sho
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
It's amazing how many people get sooooo many flights without breaking them, then one person flies a plane on a VERY cold day which will make any plastic brittle, and all of a sudden they are the "cheapest worst things ever".... Or the guy that strips out a wheel collar and says they are junk...yet the same thing...hundreds are used, one strips and they are junk....

SteveT
Quote:
the thin piece of balsa on the inside that is really only there for shape I believe..... It cracked. I pushed it back into place and ca'd it. everything else was perfect. Got pretty lucky I'd say.

this was early december. I've had to install a new motorbox since then but from a completely different incident lol.

did u hear the impact HAHAHA and BTW I'm just joking around about all the wheel talk. I hope that is portrayed through text.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman18 View Post
The plane is fantastic but the wheels go straight into the give away box. They are not of good quality in my opinion. I wish they wouldnt even put them in the kit. Just take 2 dollars off. Just my opinion and The 48 Edge does rock otherwise!
Not the first time wheels have been brought up as being not quite as durable..Ive replace probably all of mine on all of my 3dhs planes.I fly off grass runway tho and would assume thats not the best for it.But tires on a car and scale plane are renewables meaning you gotta replace em every now and then.The 46 vyp was the worst lol.those spokes would break when you looked at em teeheehe..Not that big a deal,Id rather a wheel take the brunt of a landing/slam'n'go,than a fuse.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jan 15, 2012, 03:57 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,887 Posts
Still doesn't make the wheels junk. Yes, they are light weight, therefore they can be broken (as can anything), but again, doesn't mean they are junk. As to the comment about the wheel collars, a forum member stripped one out, and has to come on the forums and say they are junk, yest as I had...hundreds are used, but one guy strips one out and it's junk.

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:46 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Oddly enough... Flew my Edge for the first time today in a while and my wheel broke on a very gentle (nearly picture perfect) harrier landing. It must have really broken before this.

Anyway - got it replaced and will fly the wings off this thing tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have some video.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:49 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,627 Posts
I break all my wheels in the winter below 40 landing on blacktop. Only broken 1-2 in the summer months flying all different models of 3DHS planes.

Just got two more flights. Sun came out, Blue Skies! Was a Whopping 5 degrees warmer today at 27!!!

I think the HatCam worked this time. I went without the Beanie and just wore the summer cap. By end of second flight my ears were definitely on fire! Seemed colder, drier air with no cloud cover and winds were more than the 2-5mph they promised. More like 8 at least so that made it colder feeling too.

Sure looks good with some sunlight on it. Really loving this scheme now, more than I ever thought I would. Orientation not a problem like I thought it would be with that dark blue nose section.

Two vids cooking....
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Jan 15, 2012, 04:54 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Two vids cooking....

Bring it on. Love seeing videos of people flying that know what the heck they're doing!!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:08 PM
When in doubt, mumble
Joined May 2008
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3chDad View Post
I've been talking about it for months...now I've finally done it. I maiden-ed her today...got four great flights in. She flies very well. She's outfitted with the Omega, a 14x7 APC, and 3S 2200 30C. I'm getting about a 6:30 flight with very good 3D performance. Overall, I'm very happy with this bird!
Maidened mine today as well! I went with the Omega, 14x7, and 3s 2200 35c. Put in 4 flights and being my first balsa it is quite a different world from foam. Looking forward to this thing making me a better flier. Had a rough landing on my 4th flight when I lost power. Must have lost track of time flying it lol. Nosed over on landing but all is well. Can't wait for the sun to set later now
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:20 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
Maidened mine today as well! I went with the Omega, 14x7, and 3s 2200 35c. Put in 4 flights and being my first balsa it is quite a different world from foam. Looking forward to this thing making me a better flier. Had a rough landing on my 4th flight when I lost power. Must have lost track of time flying it lol. Nosed over on landing but all is well. Can't wait for the sun to set later now
Hey man... We should fly together sometime.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:02 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post

Bring it on. Love seeing videos of people flying that know what the heck they're doing!!
Phsh! Yeah right! I just fly for fun, fresh air, sunshine, a breeze, playing in the snow, etc. etc.....

Only loading the 3rd flight vid. 2nd flight was not close enough on the cam and I lost my sound trac in my Laptop that I flew to.

Sun was right in my face for both flights but did ok with my special shades.

Ordered the Phenolic Long Arms today. 35 Rudder is way not enough! May put them on the Ailerons too to get around 40, pick up the roll rate a little and help the Snaps.

I did a Blender on the first flight and it didn't even resemble one! Was a large diameter and washed out real quick at the bottom. Not enough rudder... It did fly better with the tweaks I did since the maiden, but still needs more throw in the right places.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:37 PM
When in doubt, mumble
Joined May 2008
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Hey man... We should fly together sometime.
We should. I work in Charlotte off of Yorkmont Rd. Where do you fly mostly? I'm looking forward to getting a couple flights in after work if daylight starts hanging around
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:42 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,250 Posts
Quote:
We should. I work in Charlotte off of Yorkmont Rd. Where do you fly mostly? I'm looking forward to getting a couple flights in after work if daylight starts hanging around
Wow!! I work on Yorkmont Rd! Shoot me a PM. We can definitely fly together!!