SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:31 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Toyman View Post
I added a washer under the top and bottom of the pilots left of the X-Mount.

I'm considering removing the top washer, or just tightening up the top two bolts a little more.

If I fly straight and level at 1/2 throttle, and then push full throttle, the aircraft dives. The CG is set to require a little push inverted (just a little).

I want to try a few more test flights first to confirm it is actually thrust angle and not something else strange.
Your first mistake was changing the thrust angle. It was perfect out of the box. Pull both washers out and re-do your CG and life will be good again. One thing I noticed after building a bunch of planes from other manufacturers is that while those ones often need tweaking like what you did here, the 3dhs birds never go to production until they are convinced it's going to be awesome without the consumer having to figure out how to make it fly right. If you had an issue that you thought was the thrust angle before you just need to go over your setup again, it's something else.

Good luck,

-Nate
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:37 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
well, considering its my first balsa plane, i would say it will take quite a while to readjust myself from foamies... (considering im able to fly 1-2 times per week in winter and even than not every week, if weather is not good...)
I went from foamies to balsa its not an easy transition but its a rewarding one. It will make you a better flyer all around
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:38 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,210 Posts
Guys, make sure you are getting as much torque out of your rudder servo as possible by maximizing the throw with your radio. End point adjustments should be maxed as well as dual rates. When I set mine up initially I did not do this and many of the kind folks who post here helped me figure it out. If you set it up without doing this you may find that your rudder is weak and you will get very poor KE performance. You should have the cables as far in on the servo arms as you can while still getting enough throw. It is much better to get more throw by making the servo move farther than to get it by using a super long servo arm. That being said, I still have a long rudder servo arm, I just don't use the outside holes. Once I changed this I got better performance all around and my confidence in KE was greatly improved as well.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:47 AM
Surrey, B.C.
Joined Feb 2004
414 Posts
Quick question for you guys, I have a CC ICE 50 (non lite version) that I have spare right now as I got a ICE 75 now in my Striker. I was wondering would the weight difference between this one & the lite one make a different enough to purchase the lite version for my soon to arrive 1.5 buck huck ?
Mach3 is offline Find More Posts by Mach3
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:49 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach3 View Post
Quick question for you guys, I have a CC ICE 50 (non lite version) that I have spare right now as I got a ICE 75 now in my Striker. I was wondering would the weight difference between this one & the lite one make a different enough to purchase the lite version for my soon to arrive 1.5 buck huck ?
i dont think it will matter. i mean if you can find someone to trade it wouldnt hurt, but i dont think it will matter that much
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Nov 19, 2011, 10:47 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
about maximizing throws... dx6i i understand in dual rates i cant go over 100% but only travel adjustment to 125%....
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:51 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,511 Posts
Quote:
I want to try a few more test flights first to confirm it is actually thrust angle and not something else strange.
No thrust angle changes needed in 3dhs planes.......any of the 15 or more I've owned. It's NOT advised to second guess the angles chosen by Stoops or AJ....If you make any changes, it'll affect other aspects of flight significantly....FOR instance...added right thrust will make inverted harrier WAY harder on the left rudder and push-up from inverted harrier will require TONS of rudder....as well as changes to KE flight with any up/down thrust you've changed.

Build and fly.....that's my favorite thing about these planes....no "trial and error" trimming required.

Here's maiden flight video from yesterday of 48edge #2... Enjoy.

48 Edge #2 Maiden (3 min 35 sec)
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:13 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,210 Posts
Nice maiden Mike.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:52 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Toyman View Post
I added a washer under the top and bottom of the pilots left of the X-Mount.

I'm considering removing the top washer, or just tightening up the top two bolts a little more.

If I fly straight and level at 1/2 throttle, and then push full throttle, the aircraft dives. The CG is set to require a little push inverted (just a little).

+1 on what the others said. remove washers, check the elevator linkage and servo for slop.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:00 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
I believe the 3dhs standard for motor angles is:
1 Degree down and 3 degrees right

They build this into the motor box so no need to add any further inducement.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:22 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Man... I had a blast flying this morning. A little chilly but no wind. I'm getting better and better every time I go out. I got my hovers right down on the deck today. Awesome! My harriers are getting better to. Almost ready to try inverted harriers.

I love this plane and I'm having a blast with this hobby. That's what it's all about right?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:33 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,210 Posts
yea buddy... that's what it's all about
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:44 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
has anyone had a problems with servos moving a lot more on one side than another? and yes, subtrim, trim is 0 and travel adjustment is the same on both sides.....
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:46 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
No thrust angle changes needed in 3dhs planes.......any of the 15 or more I've owned. It's NOT advised to second guess the angles chosen by Stoops or AJ....If you make any changes, it'll affect other aspects of flight significantly....FOR instance...added right thrust will make inverted harrier WAY harder on the left rudder and push-up from inverted harrier will require TONS of rudder....as well as changes to KE flight with any up/down thrust you've changed.

Build and fly.....that's my favorite thing about these planes....no "trial and error" trimming required.

Here's maiden flight video from yesterday of 48edge #2... Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/Z6PN5lg0J8I
very nice!! did you do something different to the landing gear?they look positioned differently than the ones ive seen..awsome maiden to hover..I like doing those too.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Nov 19, 2011, 01:47 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
has anyone had a problems with servos moving a lot more on one side than another? and yes, subtrim, trim is 0 and travel adjustment is the same on both sides.....
is your servo arm centered? if you check everything else that you mentioned, the arm isnt centered or you have a stripped gear
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption