HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2011, 03:51 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2011
40 Posts
aerosheldon - you gotta love a duc dressed in red. I've got the bike in silver, with the termis - dang its nice to ride.

ducatirdr - very nice resume of riding and bikes...One day I hope to make it to Deals Gap. Had bikes when I was younger, then had kids, now back to my toys now that kids are older.

Sorry for hijacking the thread guys - will try to keep it topic specific - but from the looks of things a lot of us share similar interests outside of flying...
mpgardner is offline Find More Posts by mpgardner
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2011, 06:48 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgardner View Post
aerosheldon - you gotta love a duc dressed in red. I've got the bike in silver, with the termis - dang its nice to ride.

ducatirdr - very nice resume of riding and bikes...One day I hope to make it to Deals Gap. Had bikes when I was younger, then had kids, now back to my toys now that kids are older.

Sorry for hijacking the thread guys - will try to keep it topic specific - but from the looks of things a lot of us share similar interests outside of flying...
It does seem that way, like a lot of guys on here are also musicians.....but anyway, back to the topic at hand...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:55 PM
Fly it 'till it breaks.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined May 2011
657 Posts
Well, I pulled a TOTAL bonehead maneuver right when I got to the field this past weekend. I've got two sets of wings for my Buck Huck, one with lights. Upon switching them back to the lighter wings in the morning after night flying, I got distracted by a fellow flyer causing me to walk away right as I slid the 2nd wing on. Stupid me... came back and never put the wing bolt in. Being that I don't normally remove the wings and rarely switch them for night flying, checking the wing bolts wasn't part of my "every flight" pre-flight check :-(

Hand launched it, 3/4 roll to KE circuit, coming down the runway in a KE about 5ft off the deck at just over 3/4 throttle and before I could even think about it, BAMMM!!! A quick twitch and into the ground she went. And to rub it in even more, it had to crash down in the ONLY mud puddle left on the runway, lol.

Needless to say, a brand new Buck 1.5 is on order!!! I think this is the first time I've wanted to order a 3DHS plane at the same time they were actually in stock! Only bummer is I'll be out of town for the holiday before it shows up so I can't build it and take it with. The good news is that the old one has surprisingly very little damage for how hard it hit and I should have it back in the air in a few days.
Motojunk is offline Find More Posts by Motojunk
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:00 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Moto, I feel your pain. Did the same thing once with an Extra 260. Wing did not come completely off but did rotate 45 degrees. I just cut the throttle and let is come down like a wounded duck..I got lucky, it landed in tall grass with minimal damage. :-)

Lesson learned.
KE Spin is online now Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:03 PM
Intergalctic Coffee Enthusiast
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
I need to fly this plane more. It still makes me so freaking nervous and my fingers do the funky dance! Not good when when you're flying RC!
MaddSkillz is offline Find More Posts by MaddSkillz
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:10 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Not to worry. The plane is very stable. Just keep it a little high and maybe use low rates till you get used to it. You may want to put in about 50% expo all around.
KE Spin is online now Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:15 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojunk View Post
Well, I pulled a TOTAL bonehead maneuver right when I got to the field this past weekend. I've got two sets of wings for my Buck Huck, one with lights. Upon switching them back to the lighter wings in the morning after night flying, I got distracted by a fellow flyer causing me to walk away right as I slid the 2nd wing on. Stupid me... came back and never put the wing bolt in. Being that I don't normally remove the wings and rarely switch them for night flying, checking the wing bolts wasn't part of my "every flight" pre-flight check :-(

Hand launched it, 3/4 roll to KE circuit, coming down the runway in a KE about 5ft off the deck at just over 3/4 throttle and before I could even think about it, BAMMM!!! A quick twitch and into the ground she went. And to rub it in even more, it had to crash down in the ONLY mud puddle left on the runway, lol.

Needless to say, a brand new Buck 1.5 is on order!!! I think this is the first time I've wanted to order a 3DHS plane at the same time they were actually in stock! Only bummer is I'll be out of town for the holiday before it shows up so I can't build it and take it with. The good news is that the old one has surprisingly very little damage for how hard it hit and I should have it back in the air in a few days.
I feel your pain man. I haven't had any bad luck like that with my 48" Edge but I have had my fair share of bonehead issues with my 42" Slick. Somehow I've been able to repair it both times but it's getting heavy and certainly isn't the prettiest slick in the world.

The first crash I had was on my maiden actually. I transfered an AR6200 receiver from another plane. I decided after binding it to my tx to remove the sattelite because I didn't want to deal with mounting it. BAD move. Stupid move! It would have taken me approximately 3 minutes to mount the thing but I got lazy. Turns out, if you remove the sattelite you need to rebind it to your transmitter. My maiden lasted about 45 seconds. I was coming out of a KE spin and lost all response. All I could do was watch her plummit from about 200 feet up.

Suprisingly little damage for what had transpired but it did take quite bit a time, beer, and patience to fix her back up.

Well... during my third fligth after getting her repaired, I was showing off for the wife and trying to do a nice rolling harrier about 3-5 feet off the deck. BAAAAAD idea for someone as new as me to this sort of maneuver.

But... she's back up and flying just fine again. These planes are extremely resilient.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:22 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddSkillz View Post
I need to fly this plane more. It still makes me so freaking nervous and my fingers do the funky dance! Not good when when you're flying RC!
Just spend some time flying circuits with the Edge until you get comfortable with the normal flight characteristics. You'll quickly see just how tame this plane really is.

The only flaw it probably has is that it doesn't track as acurately as some other planes but that's not a big deal to me because I'm not using this plane for that purpose at all!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:25 PM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I feel your pain man. I haven't had any bad luck like that with my 48" Edge but I have had my fair share of bonehead issues with my 42" Slick. Somehow I've been able to repair it both times but it's getting heavy and certainly isn't the prettiest slick in the world.

The first crash I had was on my maiden actually. I transfered an AR6200 receiver from another plane. I decided after binding it to my tx to remove the sattelite because I didn't want to deal with mounting it. BAD move. Stupid move! It would have taken me approximately 3 minutes to mount the thing but I got lazy. Turns out, if you remove the sattelite you need to rebind it to your transmitter. My maiden lasted about 45 seconds. I was coming out of a KE spin and lost all response. All I could do was watch her plummit from about 200 feet up.

Suprisingly little damage for what had transpired but it did take quite bit a time, beer, and patience to fix her back up.

Well... during my third fligth after getting her repaired, I was showing off for the wife and trying to do a nice rolling harrier about 3-5 feet off the deck. BAAAAAD idea for someone as new as me to this sort of maneuver.

But... she's back up and flying just fine again. These planes are extremely resilient.
And to top it all off, your wife was probably like, "That's really cool, honey" but thinking to herself, "I wonder if that sale is going on today because I really liked those shoes I saw there last week."

Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:28 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddSkillz View Post
And to top it all off, your wife was probably like, "That's really cool, honey" but thinking to herself, "I wonder if that sale is going on today because I really liked those shoes I saw there last week."

Bwah ha ha ha!!! So true man!!

I've even stooped so low as to call her into the study to show her a maneuver I'm doing on the sim before. She always says the right thing but I can only imagine what she's thinking in her head!!

I bet all our wives think we're just a little bit crazy because of this hobby! But, I've always said (and mean it) that I'm very lucky because she's super supportive of me with this hobby. I get zero nagging about the cost of it or anything like that.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 02:52 PM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Bwah ha ha ha!!! So true man!!

I've even stooped so low as to call her into the study to show her a maneuver I'm doing on the sim before. She always says the right thing but I can only imagine what she's thinking in her head!!

I bet all our wives think we're just a little bit crazy because of this hobby! But, I've always said (and mean it) that I'm very lucky because she's super supportive of me with this hobby. I get zero nagging about the cost of it or anything like that.
Having a supportive wife certainly helps things!
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:08 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
I pulled a Bivens today. Hand launch, full throttle, out about 20 feet and then straight into the ground. Damage wasn't as bas as I thought it would be though. Just pushed the motor out the back of the firewall, broke the prop adaptor, mangled the cowl, cracked some balsa at the wing attach points.

I don't think I need a motor box. I think it will fly again.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:14 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,061 Posts
ouch... where are the pics?
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:31 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Haven't taken any.

Not much to see till I pull the cowl off.

The cool thing was that the prop adaptor sheared off so the prop came off. I was at full throttle when it smacked down directly on the nose. The plane flopped over and was sitting on the gear and the prop was spinning horizontally in mid air right in front of the plane. One of the coolest things I've seen. The prop had to be spinning for at least a full second, sitting stationary in the air, perfectly level, hovering.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:32 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,061 Posts
wow that does sound cool... Can you describe EXACTLY how that happened so I can try and duplicate it? j/k
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater