SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 09, 2011, 04:38 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,011 Posts
Do you guys like the slow fly props or APC better for the epp foamies?
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2011, 04:42 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
I've never used an APC on mine. I always grab a handful of the GWS. They bend really easily though right at the hub. I don't like that about them.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Nov 09, 2011, 05:19 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
They both have their pros and cons. I am using the APC on my 38" EPP Slick because that is what Ben and 3DHS suggest. I have used the GWS on smaller flat foamies and they worked great. It does suck at how easily they bend. I have bent a few just on the car ride to the field. The APC is much stronger but it is more brittle. I thought my little smack today was nothing and my prop would have been fine especially since it was into grass instead of the desert for once but it was not. It split right in half, oh well it had a really good run.
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old Nov 10, 2011, 07:58 AM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
on the smaller EPP, 33" and 34" GWS

on the larger EPP running the 3s A20 power systems, APC, but still a SF prop. 10x4.7 or 11x4.7 SF
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:24 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliprob17 View Post
on the smaller EPP, 33" and 34" GWS

on the larger EPP running the 3s A20 power systems, APC, but still a SF prop. 10x4.7 or 11x4.7 SF
Thanks Rob. I only have the 38" Slick running on 3s with the Hacker A20-20L, I highly suggest it. Even at 5,500 feet ASL it is very powerful on this airframe.
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old Nov 12, 2011, 04:28 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
guys.... would http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...xd.asp?id=2091 be good replacement for stock ballink? it is going on pushrod but it looks much smaller than stock so im kinda wondering would it be strong enough... or i should have gone with something else from dubro....
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Nov 12, 2011, 09:15 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,011 Posts
I had a great time with my edge last night. I flew 5 packs, which is more than I usually ever have time for. It was my best 3d flying to date. This is not saying much but it is exciting to me. On the last two packs I was feeling really comfortable and confident. I hovered better, longer, and lower than ever before and I did some rollers at waist height. Some of it was caught on video so I'll share if I can get it.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:26 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
I had a great time with my edge last night. I flew 5 packs, which is more than I usually ever have time for. It was my best 3d flying to date. This is not saying much but it is exciting to me. On the last two packs I was feeling really comfortable and confident. I hovered better, longer, and lower than ever before and I did some rollers at waist height. Some of it was caught on video so I'll share if I can get it.
Nice! I had one of those days earlier this week. This morning... not so much! LOL!

I'll post up some picks shortly but I had an odd little mishap. I brought my wife out with me to take some pictures and I was trying to get some nice low harriers in this tall wheat type grass. It's very gnarly though. Well... the grass grabbed my elevator hinge and ripped it right out! I think I can repaid this pretty easily but I guess I now know to not drag my tail in this stuff!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:29 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,011 Posts
That shouldn't be too bad to fix. Even if you have to put a hinge in next to the one that came out instead of replacing that one. Just make sure you get it centered. I guess that grass threw you some attitude
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:31 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
A few pics of my flying session this morning

Mostly harriers and hovers. Thanks to my wife for heading out in the cold this morning for me!

The last picture is the one where I was dragging my tail through the grass! DOH!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:52 AM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
I'm not an expert but just remember when you rehinge that elevator I wouldn't go super close to the old hinges cause the thin ca has wicked into the balsa around the old hinge. I had that issue on my SHp and ended up going with tiny robart hinges. I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:07 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
I'm not an expert but just remember when you rehinge that elevator I wouldn't go super close to the old hinges cause the thin ca has wicked into the balsa around the old hinge. I had that issue on my SHp and ended up going with tiny robart hinges. I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences.
Thanks for the tip but I'm not real clear on what you mean...

The hinges are still on the elevator - they just pulled out of the horizontal stab. I just got done putting them back in. I just slid them in and used more thin CA. Will this create a problem??
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:13 AM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Well what makes the ca hinges strong is because the ca wicks into the balsa as well as the hinge itself. When it dries it is essentially one solid mass. Now that the ca has broken its bond to the balsa of the stab you would have much less holding power if you simply put the hinge back in and ad ca. I guess since you already repaired it that time will tell but it is indeed weaker than the original. You might be ok.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:16 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Ok. Guess I'll keep it low and slow for a while and see what happens!

I tugged on it pretty hard and it seems solid but you're right - time will tell.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:26 AM
Team Hillbilly
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Hopefully it won't distract you in flight. Just make that part of your pre-flight check now if it wasn't before. Ifit was rudder or an aileron I wouldn't really be worried about it much bt a elevator is pretty important.