HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:28 AM
3DHS Addict
Little Rock, Arkansas
Joined Jun 2004
317 Posts
I ran the hacker x-40 sb pro with the omega 130 and 12x6 on 4s
2200mah packs for over 150 flights and I never had any problems. I never watt metered it but I'm sure it was probably around 35-40 amps so you should have no problem running the airboss 45 on 4s. Id like to know how many watts that setup makes and how many amps it pulls, so if you do throw the 4s pack on there post the watt meter results if ya don't mind
adam345 is offline Find More Posts by adam345
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:47 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam345 View Post
I ran the hacker x-40 sb pro with the omega 130 and 12x6 on 4s
2200mah packs for over 150 flights and I never had any problems. I never watt metered it but I'm sure it was probably around 35-40 amps so you should have no problem running the airboss 45 on 4s. Id like to know how many watts that setup makes and how many amps it pulls, so if you do throw the 4s pack on there post the watt meter results if ya don't mind
You got it.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Sep 12, 2011, 04:32 PM
3D-wanna-B
Lynchburg, VA
Joined Dec 2008
309 Posts
Finally got to order the rest of my gear so hopefully I'll get to maiden the BH1.5 this weekend. I hate not having a LHS! Had to order from three places to get everything I needed.
theK2 is offline Find More Posts by theK2
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:20 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Thanks Rob.

Had a few more fun flights today and I'm starting to get used to this plane a bit. I did a beautiful, tight KE Spin that just made me laugh uncontrollably. Nothing better than that. Only problem is that I couldn't replicate it very well.

I noticed a few things during my flying today that maybe some of you can give me pointers on:
  • My plane seems to balloon quite a bit when cutting throttle. I've got my CG back at 90mm so I assume that it why. But it makes it tough to land. Should I add some more down thrust to my motor?
  • I couldn't get it to tumble very well. I'd take it way up high, kill throttle and then when it started to stall I'd give full down elevator and full throttle and it would simply do this small loops but it wasn't tumbling. My elevator throw is 45 degrees. Thoughts?
  • How DO you KE spin officially? When I did mine I tried to start a tumble and then I gave it full left rudder and wham... it was KE spinning tight and FAST! But like I said I couldn't replicate this.
  • This plane locks in on harrier quite nicely. I still need to perfect it so I can get down lower but I'm loving what I'm seeing early on.
  • I'm currently flying a 12x6 prop. Will the 13x4 help with some of these maneuvers?
You only live about 1 to 2 hours from me. If you need any tips or help let me know and we can get up and fly together
losifanatic is online now Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:28 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
You only live about 1 to 2 hours from me. If you need any tips or help let me know and we can get up and fly together
Absolutely! I know exactly where Belton is. Maybe we can hook up sometime...
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Sep 12, 2011, 08:38 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
I am off most weekends and fly every chance I get. I will PM you my # so we can meet up
losifanatic is online now Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Sep 13, 2011, 02:10 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Got some video of the Edge today. I said to the second camera guy when I put in the second pack "I want to try to get a low KE pass....without destroying the plane"

Well, I didn't destroy the plane. I did bend up the aileron corner a little, pop out the canopy latch, damage the fuse side, krinkle up the cowl. But it still flies as shown in the video

Craig

Some fun with the 3DHS 48" Edge (8 min 23 sec)

EDIT:

This is with an old 3S - 2200 mAh Turnigy pack, EF Torque 900kv motor, ICE Lite 50 Amp ESC, APC 13x6.5 prop, HS 65MG's on the tail and HS65HB's in the wings, 43oz AUW
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Sep 13, 2011, 04:03 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
Got some video of the Edge today. I said to the second camera guy when I put in the second pack "I want to try to get a low KE pass....without destroying the plane"

Well, I didn't destroy the plane. I did bend up the aileron corner a little, pop out the canopy latch, damage the fuse side, krinkle up the cowl. But it still flies as shown in the video

Craig

http://vimeo.com/29000415

EDIT:

This is with an old 3S - 2200 mAh Turnigy pack, EF Torque 900kv motor, ICE Lite 50 Amp ESC, APC 13x6.5 prop, HS 65MG's on the tail and HS65HB's in the wings, 43oz AUW
Nice flying! That was an awesome hover around the 2:30 mark. I'm still working on it but I'll get there eventually!
Old Sep 13, 2011, 04:31 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,511 Posts
Nice Craig.....maybe someday we'll be able to TR like those punk kids....until then....it's gonna have to be "nice hover".....
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
Old Sep 13, 2011, 04:33 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
Nice Craig.....maybe someday we'll be able to TR like those punk kids....until then....it's gonna have to be "nice hover".....
someday....
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Sep 13, 2011, 05:45 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post

Craig

http://vimeo.com/29000415

EDIT:

Great flying! Sorry about the crash. I personally am impressed with anyone that can hover. I have been working on it off and on for the past month or so and still cannot figure it out. Time to watch BoneDoc's video a few thousand times more.
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:46 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAerobat View Post
Great flying! Sorry about the crash. I personally am impressed with anyone that can hover. I have been working on it off and on for the past month or so and still cannot figure it out. Time to watch BoneDoc's video a few thousand times more.
Can you do it on the sim? What are your expo settings? Some of us have benefited from reducing expo on elevator and rudder. Mine are currently around 50% for rudder and elevator and it is helping me get more of a handle on my hovering.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:17 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Can you do it on the sim? What are your expo settings? Some of us have benefited from reducing expo on elevator and rudder. Mine are currently around 50% for rudder and elevator and it is helping me get more of a handle on my hovering.
I recently dialed the expo down on my flat foamie that I am teaching myself to 3D on. I think I need to dial it down some more. I am not sure what they are at because I am at work. I can hold a hover on Clearview for about 5-10 seconds but not any longer than that. I am wondering if I should work on the tension on my sticks. I have a DX8. I have loosened them up and it seems to help. I tried to loosen the rudder but it does not seem to loosen as well as the other sticks. Oh I am a thumbs guy too. I tried the pinch method and it just feels really weird to me.

Any help is appreciated.
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:27 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
The funny thing is that if you watch Bonedoc's hovering video he's all over the place with the sticks so I'm led to believe that he has a ton of expo in there.

I think it just boils down to the fact that expo is highly personal. I personally have mine down in the 50-60 range on all surfaces and I'm very comfortable that way.

I'm still learning 3D though so I could very well decide throughout the process that I do better with higher expo for those purposes, but for general/precision flying (at least my style of precision flying!) lower expo is preferred.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 10:31 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
I think that part of the difficulty in hovering is over controlling. In this respect, exponential will actually help, not hinder.

One secret that I have learned is to momentarily release all tension in the right stick when you think you have the plane vertical. By releasing the tension I mean very slightly open your fingers if you are a pincher or hover your thumb over the stick if you area thumb flier. If the plane remains stationary (or very close) in hover then you have the plane positioned properly and this will teach you to see and feel the proper orientation for hovering. If the plane falls away it will show you that you don't have the plane positioned properly for hovering and tells you to make the corresponding adjustment.

This method is very good for allowing you to gain the proper muscle memory and hand-eye coordination required for hovering. It also prepares you for the next step which is torque rolling, either by engine torque or by aileron assist. Many guys try to force things but never really have their planes in the proper orientation and never really learn to hover so it may take them much longer to learn to hover.

Even though you use this method, it still takes a lot of practice so don't get discouraged...just keep trying and you will eventually be rewarded.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin