SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:54 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
USA, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2009
2,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosheldon View Post
Nice Ron! You doing the maiden or am I ?

Bwahahhaaahahaa
he he he hehe he he he hehe
rdcskkrose is offline Find More Posts by rdcskkrose
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:55 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,198 Posts
I got 4 flights on mine tonight. Just as I got back to the car after the 4th flight the wind picked up to about 40 mph. It had been a little breezy but then WHAM! I'm sure glad I had my plane down.

The edge was tempting me lower than usual tonight. I had some crowd pleasing low KE passes and some upright tail touching harriers. My inverted harriers were almost hitting the ground too. I got into trouble a couple times and had to save it with power. What an awesome evening... Thanks got to my beautiful wife who puts up with my expensive and time consuming hobby!
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Sep 10, 2011, 11:28 PM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
I guess you know you are harriering pretty low when your elevator counter balance snags in the grass and breaks your elevator in half :-( Saw it break in half, cut throttle, it just sat down on the gear...starting to like those gear now :-)
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Last edited by KE Spin; Sep 10, 2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:08 AM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theK2 View Post
So will there be any peformance difference between 12L and 14L on 3s packs? If not I may still go with the 14L just in case I want to try 4s packs.
Yes, the 12L will produce more power on a 13x6.5 than the 14L will on a 14x7.
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:09 AM
ADC Vinyl
SoCal-Rancho Santa Marg.
Joined Mar 2007
5,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Woo hoo!! Had a perfect maiden this afternoon. .
congrats!
Fliprob17 is offline Find More Posts by Fliprob17
Old Sep 11, 2011, 01:29 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Thanks Rob.

Had a few more fun flights today and I'm starting to get used to this plane a bit. I did a beautiful, tight KE Spin that just made me laugh uncontrollably. Nothing better than that. Only problem is that I couldn't replicate it very well.

I noticed a few things during my flying today that maybe some of you can give me pointers on:
  • My plane seems to balloon quite a bit when cutting throttle. I've got my CG back at 90mm so I assume that it why. But it makes it tough to land. Should I add some more down thrust to my motor?
  • I couldn't get it to tumble very well. I'd take it way up high, kill throttle and then when it started to stall I'd give full down elevator and full throttle and it would simply do this small loops but it wasn't tumbling. My elevator throw is 45 degrees. Thoughts?
  • How DO you KE spin officially? When I did mine I tried to start a tumble and then I gave it full left rudder and wham... it was KE spinning tight and FAST! But like I said I couldn't replicate this.
  • This plane locks in on harrier quite nicely. I still need to perfect it so I can get down lower but I'm loving what I'm seeing early on.
  • I'm currently flying a 12x6 prop. Will the 13x4 help with some of these maneuvers?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Sep 11, 2011, 02:53 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,002 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Rob.

Had a few more fun flights today and I'm starting to get used to this plane a bit. I did a beautiful, tight KE Spin that just made me laugh uncontrollably. Nothing better than that. Only problem is that I couldn't replicate it very well.

I noticed a few things during my flying today that maybe some of you can give me pointers on:
  • My plane seems to balloon quite a bit when cutting throttle. I've got my CG back at 90mm so I assume that it why. But it makes it tough to land. Should I add some more down thrust to my motor?
  • I couldn't get it to tumble very well. I'd take it way up high, kill throttle and then when it started to stall I'd give full down elevator and full throttle and it would simply do this small loops but it wasn't tumbling. My elevator throw is 45 degrees. Thoughts?
  • How DO you KE spin officially? When I did mine I tried to start a tumble and then I gave it full left rudder and wham... it was KE spinning tight and FAST! But like I said I couldn't replicate this.
  • This plane locks in on harrier quite nicely. I still need to perfect it so I can get down lower but I'm loving what I'm seeing early on.
  • I'm currently flying a 12x6 prop. Will the 13x4 help with some of these maneuvers?
Don't add down thrust, just move the battery slightly forward. Your CG is too far back, and the horizontal stab is stalling first, which is making the plane balloon. Believe me. Ben and company have the thrust angle set correctly.

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Sep 11, 2011, 04:23 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,198 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Rob.

For the best advice to many 3d moves check out Bonedoc's 3d clinic videos and write ups.

For KE spin it sounds like you are doing some of what it takes to enter it. A lot of people enter it through a tumble. You will need to add aileron in the same direction as your rudder. You know you need a lot of rudder... Use your aileron to coax it into the right attitude. Too much and it will just be a tail spin... too little will just be a slower tail spin... you will get the hang of it after a few tries. You know you have it when it locks in. Don't be afraid to leave plenty of power on during your KE spin either. That is one of my favorite sounds a plane can make. It sounds like its going to just rip apart... but it won't.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 05:18 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
For the best advice to many 3d moves check out Bonedoc's 3d clinic videos and write ups.

For KE spin it sounds like you are doing some of what it takes to enter it. A lot of people enter it through a tumble. You will need to add aileron in the same direction as your rudder. You know you need a lot of rudder... Use your aileron to coax it into the right attitude. Too much and it will just be a tail spin... too little will just be a slower tail spin... you will get the hang of it after a few tries. You know you have it when it locks in. Don't be afraid to leave plenty of power on during your KE spin either. That is one of my favorite sounds a plane can make. It sounds like its going to just rip apart... but it won't.
Thanks.

I've been watching Bondedoc's videos and they're great. He enters a KE spin by simply stalling, them full down elevator and full left rudder with aboutnhalf throttle. Didn't work for me. But what you said about coaxing it with some modulating ailerons makes good sense so I'll try that.

And I hear ya on the sound... Love that too. When I locked into KE spin earlier it was roaring up a storm! Awesome!!!

Loving this plane though! I love how it will lock in on harrier too. Sweet!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Sep 11, 2011, 07:31 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,198 Posts
funny thing about the harrier... I think it might be related to my insufficient up elevator throw (only about 35 deg) but it is pretty rocky. That is why inverted harriers are so much fun... they are smooth. My ailerons aren't warped at all.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 08:46 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,484 Posts
Knife edge spins are a very tricky thing. The easiest planes I've ever done them on are 42 and 51" Slicks. You can literally just go up high, give down elevator and it will start flipping over violoently and fall completely on it's own into a knife edge spin usually. No other plane I have will do that. They take more work. I really can't explain how... you need to start it flipping over and get it to fall to the side and then work the rudder and/or ailerons along with the throttle to get it into it.
Tumbles for me are full throttle going straight and level and jam the sticks into the corners. Usually power low, and then full rudder one way, and full elevator/aileron. Some combos work better than others. All are fun though!
Don't adjust thrustline. It's set right! 3d planes with more rear cg's take some getting used to in order to land. Eventually you won't even notice this problem anymore. I don't know where my cg is, I totally adjust in flight by how much it dives when I roll it inverted. I quit measuring it's location a long time ago, so I couldn't tell you where mine is. I get it going straight and level upright and trimmed to neither climb or dive at about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. Then roll inverted and see what it does. I like a nice shallow dive. I adjust the CG farther forward or back to get that. forward = dive more, back = less, too much and it will climb when inverted.

Last on the prop - a 13x4 will give a ton of punch out from hovers, and drastically slower speed. It's fun for close and low 3d. But if you like going faster it will leave you wanting. I go back and forth, I wish I could find a 12.5x5.5. That would be ideal on the Omega 130 for me. Thinking about changing out the motor in mine to a Torque 2814 and running 4s with a 12x6. I have than in another similar sized plane and love the combo.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Sep 11, 2011, 08:52 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Hey guys just popping in to sub. I believe this is going to be my next 3dhs airframe. The Shp is down till I can get ahold of a motor box so I might as well use the electronics somewhere. Good excuse for a new plane anyway. I will be running my motrolfly 2815-1025kv in it as it is a little overpowering for the shp. Its a 123g motor which turns a 13x6.5 with authority @ 9550rpms on a 3s 2200 pack. I ordered an ice lite 75 as this motor pulls 61 amps and 717watts with a full pack on the 13x6.5 and don't want to risk loosing power. I know that's only on fresh packs but that is pushing the limits. Add in the servo draw and I'm asking for trouble. The lite 75 is only 1.5 grams heavier than the ice 50 I am running now. That leaves the ice 50 for the shp when I get it back together. I also have the torque 900kv motor I got with the shp to go back into it.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:09 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,198 Posts
you won't regret it tom... this airframe is sweet. That is a lot of power man... I can't decide whether to be jealous or not I have 500-ish watts on the omega 130g with a 13x6.5 and it is plenty of power for me. I do sometimes find myself wanting an even faster climb rate. I might just have to get a 12x6 and toss one of my 2200 mah 4s packs in there
Old Sep 11, 2011, 11:26 PM
Call sign = TOMATOFLAMES
Seattle, WA
Joined Sep 2008
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
you won't regret it tom... this airframe is sweet. That is a lot of power man... I can't decide whether to be jealous or not I have 500-ish watts on the omega 130g with a 13x6.5 and it is plenty of power for me. I do sometimes find myself wanting an even faster climb rate. I might just have to get a 12x6 and toss one of my 2200 mah 4s packs in there
What ESC are you running?
roto20 is offline Find More Posts by roto20
Old Sep 12, 2011, 12:19 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roto20 View Post
What ESC are you running?
Airboss 45. Don't worry... I'd check it with the watt meter before flying. I don't want to toast my esc.