HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:01 AM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by closedloop View Post
I can help with things as far as DLG get-togethers here in NM, especially now that my 2-month work rush season is out of the way -Matt
Matt,

now that Dave has also resigned, there are no DLG contests scheduled for Arizona, and the Blue Skies has been potentially reduced to one or two events. It's up to us to pick up where Aradhana and Dave have left off, but I won't be able to fill their shoes due to demands at the workplace. It'll have to be one-day contests for the near future, most likely at SAGE, and perhaps this will kick off some activity at Las Cruces. Don't think you need to be a CD to host a fun-fly at that field, and it's driveable from Phoenix.

I've applied for an AMA CD license, but if and when I'm able to initiate a contest, that effort will be placed on having fun, and taking a step back from what has become routine F3K events. The all-hands-flyoff at the AZ Open was very cool, and we need more of that. Think up some crazy tasks, and we'll fly 'em!

BavarianCharles is online now Find More Posts by BavarianCharles
Last edited by BavarianCharles; Feb 24, 2013 at 09:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:52 AM
C-c-c-custom!
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2011
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang View Post
Matt:
I can show you how to make a Blaster much faster.

Yours, Greg
Down elevator?

And I have a new "challenge" task - 2 best flights, 5 min max, 10 min window.

-Matt
closedloop is offline Find More Posts by closedloop
Old Feb 24, 2013, 07:58 AM
C-c-c-custom!
Joined Nov 2011
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles View Post
Matt,
I've applied for an AMA CD license, but if and when I'm able to initiate a contest, the effort will be placed on having fun, and taking a step back from what has become routine F3K events. The all-hands-flyoff at the AZ Open was very cool, and we need more of that. Think up some crazy tasks, and we'll fly 'em!

I'll do the same just for kicks. I like fun things! The flyoffs were fun at AZ because nobody cared about their standing really - we just wanted more airtime. And I got tons of ground time running after my downwind planes

Note: I need one more year of AMA (which because of my 3-month ago renewal works out to 1.75 years) to apply for CD. I've been to many contests but I need more time

BTW add some expo in that elevator Charles if you haven't already. Your planes look great but you really overdo the elevator control sometimes I was watching.
closedloop is offline Find More Posts by closedloop
Last edited by closedloop; Feb 24, 2013 at 08:06 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:47 AM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by closedloop View Post
BTW add some expo in that elevator Charles if you haven't already. Your planes look great but you really overdo the elevator control sometimes I was watching.
Spot on - but do I want dual rates, expo, or both?

Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:14 AM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,824 Posts
Quote:
sorry to hear about your "retirement"...
In my case, let's call this a "sabbatical"—after all, much of what I'm doing is directly related, and intended to contribute to hand launch in general.
Quote:
Sure hope to be able to fly with you one day in the near future - will you be attending any out-of-state contests this year?
That's my plan.

Quote:
...now that Dave has also resigned, there are no DLG contests scheduled for Arizona, and the Blue Skies has been potentially reduced to one or two events...
From what I hear so far, Blue Skies still can be a four stop series.

By a large margin, the most demanding role in running a contest is "Organizer", although there is no official AMA assignment for that. Being the CD and Organizer for the same event is a tough row to hoe. Splitting off the CD to another person, and sharing the organization with another works best. Last year I did both, but I had a ton of help with the organization part.

It sounds like Dave in AZ was handling both CD and the primary organizing. Wow. And he did it so well, but I wouldn't wish the double assignment on anyone.

Matt Aurand has stepped up to organize Blue Skies over New Mexico. I'm very pleased. Along with the Albuquerque Soaring Association and our cadre of NM hand pilots pilots, we will run a great show. I expect to be there as CD or Assistant/Backup CD.

Aradhana Singh
ASK is offline Find More Posts by ASK
Last edited by ASK; Feb 24, 2013 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Credit where credit is due!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:46 AM
Thermal, where art thou?
Joined Oct 2005
2,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASK View Post
In my case, let's call this a "sabbatical" ...
By a large margin, the most demanding role in running a contest is "Organizer", although there is no official AMA assignment for that. Being the CD and Organizer for the same event is a tough row to hoe. Partnerships like Phillip and Dave, and myself and Bruce T., work very well ... Matt Aurand has stepped up to organize Blue Skies over New Mexico. I'm very pleased. Along with the Albuquerque Soaring Association and our cadre of NM hand pilots pilots, we will run a great show. I expect to be there as CD or Assistant/Backup CD.
Aradhana Singh
Sabbatical: " .. a rest from work, or a hiatus, often lasting from two months to a year." That sounds promising!

Cheers to Matt, and I can also play CD/assistant, or we can re-live the Roman Republic together.

Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:01 PM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles View Post
Sabbatical: " .. a rest from work, or a hiatus, often lasting from two months to a year." That sounds promising!
Continuing the definition in the Wikipedia article:

"...In recent times, "sabbatical" has come to mean any extended absence in the career of an individual in order to achieve something. In the modern sense, one takes sabbatical typically to fulfill some goal, e.g., writing a book or traveling extensively for research. ..."

And that's something of what I'm up to
Last edited by ASK; Feb 24, 2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:35 PM
up from the skies
United States, CO, Fort Garland
Joined Jul 2011
585 Posts
Great air at bfp today
Tightened up the pull pull strings on the x3 that I flew to the fly offs at AZ open, and launches are back to full height, should of done that sooner.
Live and get learned
Tmfury is offline Find More Posts by Tmfury
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:02 PM
Joined Nov 2011
150 Posts
When are you gonna put pushrods in that thing?
iwokeupwithgills is offline Find More Posts by iwokeupwithgills
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:35 PM
up from the skies
United States, CO, Fort Garland
Joined Jul 2011
585 Posts
I know !!
I gotta get some pushrods
When you gonna be in burque next?
hurry up and flunk out of school already
Tmfury is offline Find More Posts by Tmfury
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:07 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Greg - I read Dave Thornburg's Old Buzzard's Soaring Book. It was a fun read. I highlighted several places and now I just go back and re-read my highlights.

#2. I have some prescription ultraviolet/polarized glasses on order. Should be here in a week or so.

#3. I searched around the web for the Blaster 3 throws and couldn't find anything satisfactory. Kennedy's page recommended Up 30mm - Down 12mm which I think 30mm up is way too much. I was thinking more along the lines of 15mm up and 15mm down on the aileron throws.

What have you come up with??

Only a week and a half or so to RR. See you there.

Thanks

Jim
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:25 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,531 Posts
Jim:

Practically speaking, I use +/-15mm for the ailerons. I have them at the center section for launch and high speed, about 2mm down for cruise (that's not much), and about 4mm down for thermal. I will occasionally use more camber for thermal, but in calm conditions, the 4mm still gives the best flight times (or, if you will, the best sink rate). For full flaps, I get about 40 degrees depression, and now use elevator compensation to keep the fuselage at the flight attitude when flaps are deployed.

I don't use the stock tails, so I can't help you there.

I also don't have the cg marked, but I know I fly the B3 with the cg more forward than most. It was just the opposite with the B2 - I flew that one with the cg really, really far aft.

See you there.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:40 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Thanks Greg.

I believe I have it dialed in as you recommended. I have my CG about 77

I'v beat the crap out of my plane so my AUW is 325g or 11.5 oz, but that is with nose weight to get the CG where it is. It flies good though.

I will be going out at about 9 AM to do some dead air practice. Then after it warms up I will try it again.
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:43 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,531 Posts
Hello New Mexico Flyers!

I am heading to the Red Rocks contest, and will leave Las Cruces on Wednesday evening, intending to overnight in Albuquerque. How about convoying to Red Rocks from there in Thursday?

I will be in my PT Cruiser, along with Vicki (who can time as well as anyone). I'll be able to haul a bit of stuff, but will have all ours on board.

Tom, Matt, Skyler, Jeff, Buzz, Aradhana... did I miss anyone? Who else is going?

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:04 AM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,824 Posts
Everyone,

I am in full-time building mode, and will not be coming to Red Rocks. I might make it to IHLGF in late April.

Have a great time!

Aradhana Singh