HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:42 PM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,824 Posts
Having timing tracks at practices

Sorry I can't join you on Friday. Skyler gets to fly with the group---great! And it's neat that Mark and Greg can come up too.

Alternatives for having timing tracks at practices
There are other ways to broadcast a timing track than our sound system. If anyone has car speakers that are up to the task, it is possible to put a playlist on a music player like a phone or MP3-capable player, and use a radio frequency or direct connection method to put the sound over the car's sound system.

I have the tracks, and can email them to whomever.
The tracks are grouped as:
  • window tracks
  • task calls
  • round calls
  • group calls (heats)

There are also optional files for pilot names.

Oleg's F3K Score software will export a playlist usable in iTunes (.xml) and other players (.m3u). Although I have not tried it, the .m3u format is supposed to work in Windows Media Player, Winamp, foobar2000, Totem, and JuK.

Using Oleg's software as the foundation, you can set up a contest with X number of tasks, rounds, and heats. The audio files require the same filenames as the one's Oleg's application expects. This is the method I have been using for the past year or so.

Another method which I have yet to try myself, but would be great to try is Adrian Dybwad's application for Android devices. Set the contest up in his software, and it will use some version of Google Reader to voice the contest guidance and timing.

I know it's easier to just play AU-LD games, but maybe not as much fun. Perhaps someone is willing to step up and help with running our little events?

Sound Cart
The free-standing ASA sound cart is a great tool for practice. So long as a pilot is an ASA club member, he could hold the ASA cart during and between events. With most of the ASA members living in or around Albuquerque, it seems it would be better if the device was stored in ABQ than at my place.

Or we could all chip in and make another portable sound cart just for our group. The Radio Shack portable 40 watt PA amp is $110 and works from 110V AC or 12V DC. With a 12V Power Supply, there is a Pyramid 80 watt amp that might work too. The power horns are $40 each. The cart is a cheap thing from Harbor Freight that I had laying around, or alternatively it could be put on any sort of cart we could think up.

Is there support for having a sound system at practices when I am not able to be there?

Aradhana Singh
ASK is offline Find More Posts by ASK
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:43 PM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,824 Posts
Once a month hand launch practice?

If a majority would support it, we could have a practice once a month. My thinking is we would use the ASA club events, all scheduled for Saturdays, as our foundation.

Then for every month there is no ASA event, we get together on a Friday or a Sunday.

The ASA events are usually on the last weekend of the month, so we could try to keep that rhythm the same, except where there is a weekend event on the calendar.

What do you all think?

ASA Schedule
January 26
March 30
May 18
June 15
September 28
November 30

New Mexico Hand Launch Schedule (Proposed)
February ??
April ??
July ??
August ??
October ??
December ??

Western U.S. Hand Launch Schedule
John Erickson Memorial (JEM) January 19–20
Arizona Open ?? - ??
Red Rock Challenge ??
International Hand Launch Glider Festival (IHLGF) April 26–28
Blue Skies over New Mexico July 13–14
Blue Skies over Colorado June or August ??
Blue Skies over Utah September ??
Las Cruces Chili Challenge October ??
Blue Skies over Arizona November 2–3

I look at this potential schedule for ASA, NM, and Western Region events and get all excited!

Aradhana Singh
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:28 PM
up from the skies
United States, CO, Fort Garland
Joined Jul 2011
585 Posts
I'd like to schedule the monthly's to happen 1 week before all the major two day comps ,that way we're getting in preperation / practice right before the "real thing" seems like the best timing IMO
Tom
Tmfury is offline Find More Posts by Tmfury
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:24 PM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmfury View Post
I'd like to schedule the monthly's to happen 1 week before all the major two day comps ,that way we're getting in preperation / practice right before the "real thing" seems like the best timing IMO
Tom
There's an idea. Does everyone concur?

Since some of the 9 two-day contests will occur during months where there is an ASA Hand Launch event, and the ASA event might be afterward, I suggest we conduct a practice one week before the event, on a Friday or Sunday, everyone's schedule permitting. If an ASA event is positioned one week before a major, we'll use that event as our pre-major practice.

In all cases, unless we decide we need a different sort of practice, I can prepare a task list and playlist that mirrors the upcoming major event. So long as the respective task list is published in time.

ASK
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:55 PM
up from the skies
Joined Jul 2011
585 Posts
Sounds good like that
I can fly sat the 29 if you want to Aradhana
Tom
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:02 PM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmfury View Post
I can fly sat the 29 if you want to Aradhana
Tom
As the "mother" for hand launch, I help work out a calendar that the club agrees to for hand launch events. ASA events are scheduled for Saturdays unless otherwise noted, with a backup day of Sunday in case of weather.

So unless everyone says: "I'm not coming", or weather is significantly adverse for flying, I'll be at the agreed upon location ready to run an event.

I'd like to fly, and the 29th is the ASA hand launch day. Please let me know if you are coming.

Thanks!

Aradhana Singh
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:22 PM
up from the skies
Joined Jul 2011
585 Posts
Ill be at the sat 29
Thanks
Tom
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:48 PM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,824 Posts
Forecast for Friday and Saturday look okay in terms of wind, but darn cold.
34 in Albuquerque at noon, both Thursday and Friday. Highs of 39 and 40, around 2-3 p.m.

How much do you guys want to fly? .
-------------
Oh, and forget about Moriarty. Too likely to have higher winds than ABQ at this time of year, and colder.

If we're going to do this I'd suggest Manzano Mesa or BFP.
Last edited by ASK; Dec 24, 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:15 PM
the icbm of pilots
albuquerque, NM
Joined Mar 2007
613 Posts
I will fly Friday for sure wish I could make sat as well and I like tons proposal for contests
skylerraver is offline Find More Posts by skylerraver
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:58 PM
C-c-c-custom!
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2011
332 Posts
I'm in both days - the cold is something I can deal with OK. Especially if we do ABQ rather than the sod farm.
closedloop is offline Find More Posts by closedloop
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:27 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,533 Posts
ASK:

I'd sure do Saturday the 29th as well as the 28th, but I have to tend to family matters.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:30 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,703 Posts
Will you be dressed like Eskimos?
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,533 Posts
George:

You have no idea.

It will be the "layered look" - lots of sweatshirts, at least for me.

I'll look a lot like you, actually.

Merry Christmas!

Yours, Greg
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,533 Posts
Just so you know: the travel time from Las Cruces, coupled with the ability to load up on Starbucks, will put me at the BFP roughly 0900, perhaps a bit earlier.

If no one is there, at that time (it will be cold!), I'll just go get some breakfast then check back.

Yours, Greg
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:44 AM
C-c-c-custom!
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2011
332 Posts
I'll see you there Greg.
closedloop is offline Find More Posts by closedloop