HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Fish99, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:12 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,733 Posts
Discussion
Great new addition - PZ Extra 300!

Well, been thinking to get into more acrobatic aircraft for a while and looking at the 300. Heard and read all about the "issues" with the wing and "flipping" the wing, etc. From all I saw and read it seemed to me to be more an issue with improper (tail heavy) set up and flying than the plane, so I took the chance.

Bought the Extra 300 today. Set it up with MAX throws and holes, then set up dual rates so the LOW was as per the manual, HIGH just maxed out. Expo as per the manual on both.

VERY windy here (25-35 km per hour) but I HAD to maiden it. I was SERIOUSLY impressed. It handled the wind like it was NOTHING! AMAZING aircraft. After 2 clicks UP trim it was rock solid. First battery I had it looping, rolling, snap rolling, doing Cuban 8s, rolling up lines, mild harriers, hammer heads, inverted circuits, etc. It has TONS of power and speed, but also slows down VERY well.

Did some stall testing at height and was VERY happy with the stall characteristics. Slow it down level and the nose drops into a stall very predictably and is recovered from by simply adding power, get some speed and then pull out. If you have any altitude it's dead easy. The stall is also at a VERY slow speed, and you can see it coming so it should not surprise you.

Our club has ONLY grass, and it was a bit LONG today. That said, taxi, take off and landing WITH the stock wheels and wheel pants was not an issue.

Landings were actually VERY simple, and probably more so due to the high wind. Turned final, kept a little power on through to touch down, chopped the throttle and then up ELE to keep the tail planted, voila, no muss, no fuss, no nose over and no broken wheels. NON-ISSUE, just remember not to try to DEAD STICK it in, fly it to the runway and it's a treat. I have more trouble with my warbirds than this one.

Second lipo I was even trying some full out 3D hovering. This plane has the power to pull out vertically and I was able to get a bit of hovering going, though it was very wind assisted and had a bit of an angle to the keep it in place. I even pulled off a pretty decent SQUARE pull out of dive, very solid, no high speed stall, but BOY, be gentle on the ELE in dive as at speed it would NOT be hard to induce a high speed stall / snap roll with this baby, generous ELE throw. Not a 3D plane, and not meant to be, but very capable.

Totally forgot to try knife edges, but I am pretty sure she will be able to do those well. Also did not get into any SPINS yet, but those are coming next.

Overall, first day impressions are amazing plane, looks awesome, loads of power, VERY fast roll rate and snaps, predictable, stable and amazing in the wind.

I can't wait to post some video on this one! And NO FLIPPIN WING FLIPPING REQUIRED!

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:14 PM
Cumming, GA USA
Joined Jan 2011
222 Posts
PZ Extra 300

I figured that was the case. I had so many people telling me about flipping the wing. I never bought the plane as I heard so many stall stories. Then I flew my buddie's with the wing in the regular position and beat the snot out of it doing all kinds of aerobatics. Then I looked at him like a deer in headlights. I did not see any problem at all. This is a sport aerobatic plane and is not intended to be a "floater" on landing. This is an intermediate to advanced plane when max throws are enabled. Just keep some power and it lands on rails. And....you are right....it can do 3D, but not really a 3D plane. It is an outstanding sport aerobatic plane not for beginners. Dual rates with a generous amount of expo and it rocks. BTW, knife edging is flawless!! No Flipping required.
warwickcorvette1 is offline Find More Posts by warwickcorvette1
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:43 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warwickcorvette1 View Post
I figured that was the case. I had so many people telling me about flipping the wing. I never bought the plane as I heard so many stall stories. Then I flew my buddie's with the wing in the regular position and beat the snot out of it doing all kinds of aerobatics. Then I looked at him like a deer in headlights. I did not see any problem at all. This is a sport aerobatic plane and is not intended to be a "floater" on landing. This is an intermediate to advanced plane when max throws are enabled. Just keep some power and it lands on rails. And....you are right....it can do 3D, but not really a 3D plane. It is an outstanding sport aerobatic plane not for beginners. Dual rates with a generous amount of expo and it rocks. BTW, knife edging is flawless!! No Flipping required.
Just HAD to go back out tonight at dusk and put one more flight on it! KE's are SOLID, as you say! Actually easier than my little UMX Eflite BEAST! I even got the nerve up to put it into a SPIN! Recovery was simply, tiny bit of opposite rudder and it stopped dead then power out. It sure does SNAP around when you do snap rolls, VERY FUN! Was landing on a running track tonight and it was NO PROBLEM, tracked the center line and easy to grease in with just a little power on. NO ISSUES! Man I like this one. You are correct, the HIGH RATES make it a WICKED aerobatic machine, though controllable with EXPO and easy stick movement. The low rates make it a solid pattern plane that is dead easy to fly and land. BEST OF BOTH WORLDS IN ONE PLANE!

I was doing some VERY slow harrier flights (with a good deal of altitude I must admit, I'm not that confident yet) and while the wings were rocking pretty good she never felt out of control at all. Again, reminded me a TON of the UMX Beast that way. I just see nothing wrong with the flight characteristics of this plane. I was out there actually laughing a ton about that wing flipping thing, that's hillarious! It's certainly not a high wing trainer or my P-51 / P-47 but this thing is not a huge deal to fly. Just have to keep reminding myself to be EASY on the sticks, a little bit of movement goes a LONG way with this thing on high rates. Avoid the panic stick smacking and I think a person will be completely alright with this bird. (Same goes for any acrobatic plane for that matter.)

Thanks for the tips and background, getting more confident with this plane with each battery!

Marlin
Old Jul 11, 2011, 01:56 AM
Cumming, GA USA
Joined Jan 2011
222 Posts
I have 16 planes. I flew gas for years and have a bunch of big warbirds with struts and retracts that weigh about 10 lbs. I also had an Extra 300 with a Saito 72 in it. This was a machine. I would do inverted flat spins with her. But the key I learned with the big planes was airspeed on landings. I have not flown my 8 gas planes now for 6 years. They are amazing an in flawless condition. I got back into the groove in November and went electric. Now I have 8 Electrics. I have the PZ T-28, P-47 with retracts, Corsair, Radian Pro, Micro T-28, Marston micro Pterodactyl, Nitro PBY, Nitro 750mm P-47. PZ is a bit more expensive, BUT, They are flawless out of the box. I have now flown about 150 flights and I am yet to have an issue. I cannot believe how amazing these foamies are. You can land so slow (compared to big gas warbirds). I love flying electric now. Everything is so much easier. I love hand launching and belly landing a few of them. OK bro.....you gotta trust me...I bought the Airfield P-47 750mm kit from Nitroplanes for $38 and did my own setup. I put an Alpha 370 motor with an 18 amp esc and a 3S 800mah blue Lipo (from hobbypartz) with a APC 8X4 prop. I put some softer and bigger wheels on as well. I use Spektrum electronics. This is a perfect setup. It is a hot rod. With the battery forward and slightly nose heavy it flies on rails and lands slow and rips at WOT. On high rates it rolls like a jet. I have 60% expo on high rates and it is amazing. I have flown so many planes and this one blows me away. Solid and perfectly stable. And.....VERY inexpensive. Check out my T-28 flycamone videos on my profile. That was pretty fun. I need to put it on the Radian Pro next.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 02:40 AM
This is my Nemesis....
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2011
2,008 Posts
NIce addition Marlin!
ViperZ is offline Find More Posts by ViperZ
Old Jul 17, 2011, 09:00 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,733 Posts
Thanks, flown it 8 or 9 times now and am loving it!
Old Jul 20, 2011, 06:48 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,733 Posts
Flight Video from 2nd day flights ..

Well, I finally go around to editting up the video I took of this plane on my second set of flights with it. I spent a couple nights on the SIM and NET figuring out the IMAC patterns and thought I would give it a shot.

Video was poor quality, I need to get the ZOOM going on the hat cam, but for the most part you can see the plane and I can you tell you it's a GREAT flyer. Handles the grass at the field well.

I will get some better video soon and post it, but here is what I have.

Marlin

PZ Extra 300 - Demo and Practice IMAC Flying (11 min 7 sec)
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:54 AM
Cumming, GA USA
Joined Jan 2011
222 Posts
Looks like you are wringing it out. That plane has has so much power. I was amazed how well it landed in the grass with wheel pants. Enjoy her!!!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 07:07 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warwickcorvette1 View Post
Looks like you are wringing it out. That plane has has so much power. I was amazed how well it landed in the grass with wheel pants. Enjoy her!!!
Thanks and yeah, it surprised me too how good it handles the grass. I really want to get a BETTER quality video of this plane and post it, as it looks WAY better in the air than this one shows.

Have a good one,

Marlin
Old May 24, 2012, 12:02 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,733 Posts
Harriers with the Extra 300!

Ever since buying this plane I was afraid to fly it slow due to all the stuff written about how bad it flew slow, stalls, tips stalls, falling out of the sky, what ever. After picking up a P.A. Extra 260 as a "nice" plane decided to push this PZ plane a bit. Also wanted some better VIDEO of this plane.

Here is the video of the PZ Extra 300 being put through Harrier maneuvers, right down low, very slow, even doing a harrier landing and harrier touch and go. I AM IMPRESSED. This plane continues to be a great one for me and a load of fun to fly.

Marlin

PZ Extra 300 - Harrier Time! (10 min 43 sec)