SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 01, 2003, 01:26 PM
Increasing my carbon footprint
Newberg Or.
Joined Jan 2003
887 Posts
hood river slope spots

hey all

this is mainly for the nw oregon guys. do any of you know where and how to get to good slope spots in hood river area. for summer time flying (n nw winds) and how are they?

thanks for the input

tim
mothflyer is offline Find More Posts by mothflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tail Disser How To
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2003, 02:20 PM
papasmurf
n/a Posts
Goog luck! Winds on the gorge are almost always westerly. That's why the sail boarders like the area so much. But you can go up hwy 35 towards the mountain (Hood) and check out some of those hills.

I don't know if the park service will allow it, but there is a well named hill on St Helens called Hurricane Ridge. It really blows there! And of course since 1980, all of the trees are lying down.
Old Sep 01, 2003, 02:51 PM
Increasing my carbon footprint
Newberg Or.
Joined Jan 2003
887 Posts
hey papa smurf

thanks. have you ever been out to kutch mtn. it is out by carlton and is great for a n or east wind. and have you ever been up on chehalem in the winter? it is a good spot too. but i guess petersons butte is probably closer and a cleaner hill

talk to ya later

tim
mothflyer is offline Find More Posts by mothflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tail Disser How To
Old Sep 01, 2003, 06:06 PM
papasmurf
n/a Posts
Actually Tim. my spot is Blanco. I've already spent 4 weeks there this year, and am going back again in a few days. Peterson is close, but it's only available in the winter during which I'm in CA flying at Los Banos, Sunset Beach, etc. where the winter weather is a lot better than in the Willamette valley. Everyone should be a retired flinger of foam flyers!

I've driven the road (path) between Carlton and Beaver a few times, but that was before I discovered foamies. I may get a Mini-Weasel and hang it from the roof of my car just in case drive past your sites. Thanks for the ideas.
Old Sep 02, 2003, 01:08 AM
Joined May 2000
754 Posts
Check out:
www.passoaring.us

they have maps to the soaring sites around the State.

I have flown at Klickitat, Bald Butte and the other one by Hood River. Wonderful sites, and work with West wind.

Eric
partoftheproblm is offline Find More Posts by partoftheproblm