SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 04, 2011, 03:29 PM
Registered User
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactadpole View Post
Rusty,

It would be great if you offered some CF (or G10) center plates that were a little bigger than your 6.5" plates so that landing gear like the Droidworx's could be easily mounted. I am not near my copter at the moment so can't give you the size but I think around 7.5" would do it, or even 8" to round it out. The larger diameter would also provide a little more space for all the stuff that tends to get added to heavy-lift machines. I am thinking how nice it would be to make a heavy lift X8 or even flat octo using your center plates and 5/8" arm mounts that would let me easily attach my DW landing gear with camera gimbal. I think you could capture those who want to give a heavy lifter for APV a try but don't want to spend $1000 on the frame alone. I think a lot of folks are willing to spend the money on the expensive gimbal/landing gear but can't afford the expensive frame too. Even if its a little heaver who cares. If APV seems to be something the user decides they want to pursue further then they can buy the $1000+ frame.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Shawn

Or, how about an adapter plate('s) out of g10 that would allow us to mount the DW landing gear to your existing center plates? That is what I am trying to figure out how to do right now. Sure would love it I could just order some from your shop!

Shawn
Mactadpole is online now Find More Posts by Mactadpole
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:51 PM
aka Helidaho
AeroVideoUS's Avatar
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,765 Posts
I ordered some of your motor mounts recently for my 12mm round tube frame. Turns out the mounts were the best part of the frame, the rest is crap. That's what I get for trying some el-cheapo foldable frame.

Anyway, I build most of my quads using the square aluminum towel bars you can get from home depot. I think they say they're 1/2" square but like most things the actual size is 5/8" square. I see you have 5/8" round delrin blocks but do you have anything that will fit the 5/8" square aluminum towel bars?

Like these:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...kuId=202619692

I really want one of your frames but prefer square arms to the round ones. Or I guess I could ask where people are getting the square arms that fit your current 1/2" blocks? The only thing I can find that measures 0.498" is wood.

Paul
AeroVideoUS is online now Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:57 PM
Registered User
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidaho View Post
I ordered some of your motor mounts recently for my 12mm round tube frame. Turns out the mounts were the best part of the frame, the rest is crap. That's what I get for trying some el-cheapo foldable frame.

Anyway, I build most of my quads using the square aluminum towel bars you can get from home depot. I think they say they're 1/2" square but like most things the actual size is 5/8" square. I see you have 5/8" round delrin blocks but do you have anything that will fit the 5/8" square aluminum towel bars?

Like these:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...kuId=202619692

I really want one of your frames but prefer square arms to the round ones. Or I guess I could ask where people are getting the square arms that fit your current 1/2" blocks? The only thing I can find that measures 0.498" is wood.

Paul
Hi Paul,

Here where I get mine: http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/...ge=tube&LimAcc. First ones in the list.

Shawn
Mactadpole is online now Find More Posts by Mactadpole
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:11 PM
13brv3's Avatar
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactadpole View Post
Or, how about an adapter plate('s) out of g10 that would allow us to mount the DW landing gear to your existing center plates? That is what I am trying to figure out how to do right now. Sure would love it I could just order some from your shop!

Shawn
Hi Shawn,

The funny thing is that I was planning to reduce the diameter of the next frame from 6.5" to 6.25". I just can't imagine 8", but it's certainly doable if needed.

Adapters are very doable, and if anyone has a camera mount, landing gear, etc that they want to mount, all I need to know is the hole mounting pattern. I'll be happy to make an adapter mount for just about anything.

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:12 PM
13brv3's Avatar
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
Rusty,

Here are pictures of your Rev 7 frame.
Thanks for the pics, but I'm voiding your warranty on those gear legs

Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:20 PM
13brv3's Avatar
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidaho View Post
Anyway, I build most of my quads using the square aluminum towel bars you can get from home depot. I think they say they're 1/2" square but like most things the actual size is 5/8" square. I see you have 5/8" round delrin blocks but do you have anything that will fit the 5/8" square aluminum towel bars?

I really want one of your frames but prefer square arms to the round ones. Or I guess I could ask where people are getting the square arms that fit your current 1/2" blocks? The only thing I can find that measures 0.498" is wood.

Paul
Hi Paul,

Amazingly, this is the second time today that someone has mentioned using the 5/8" towel bars. The current Rev-8 plates will almost work without blocks, since the hole spacing is just about 5/8" between the screws. It's just a little bit too big, but with a thin spacer it might work.

A while back, when I decided to make a square tube block, I asked on the forum about the most popular size. I expected it to be 5/8", but I was surprised to find out that 1/2" was more commonly requested.

I believe a 5/8" square block is possible, and if there's really that much interest, I can probably make them available.

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:54 PM
Registered User
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
Thanks for the pics, but I'm voiding your warranty on those gear legs

Rusty
LOL, they are just a quick way to take off for now. I will figure out something a bit nicer soon. Three carbon bows bolted to the bottom of the center plate will be nice and light.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:56 PM
Registered User
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
Hi Paul,

Amazingly, this is the second time today that someone has mentioned using the 5/8" towel bars. The current Rev-8 plates will almost work without blocks, since the hole spacing is just about 5/8" between the screws. It's just a little bit too big, but with a thin spacer it might work.

A while back, when I decided to make a square tube block, I asked on the forum about the most popular size. I expected it to be 5/8", but I was surprised to find out that 1/2" was more commonly requested.

I believe a 5/8" square block is possible, and if there's really that much interest, I can probably make them available.

Cheers,
Rusty
Those towel racks are nice and light because they have thin wall. At 5/8" they can be pretty nice and strong for a larger multi rotor.

If I can find thin wall 1/2" square tube I will use that in a heart beat. Unfortunately the 1/2" aluminum tube I found has been very thick wall and heavy.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2011, 12:08 AM
aka Helidaho
AeroVideoUS's Avatar
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,765 Posts
Thanks Shawn for that source, looks like a good deal. However, I like having the ability to run down to home depot on a whim and grab replacement arms and be back up and running in the same day. Plus the towel bars are only 1/32" thick instead of 1/16" so I would think they are much lighter... not sure on that though since they are larger.

Just thinking out loud...

Rusty, if you could come up with a foldable quad frame with 5/8" square blocks that would be great! Is that asking too much? hehe

I guess the next choice would be the 450 tail booms, those tend to be available locally.

Thanks,
Paul
AeroVideoUS is online now Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2011, 12:37 AM
Registered User
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidaho View Post
Thanks Shawn for that source, looks like a good deal. However, I like having the ability to run down to home depot on a whim and grab replacement arms and be back up and running in the same day. Plus the towel bars are only 1/32" thick instead of 1/16" so I would think they are much lighter... not sure on that though since they are larger.

Just thinking out loud...

Rusty, if you could come up with a foldable quad frame with 5/8" square blocks that would be great! Is that asking too much? hehe

I guess the next choice would be the 450 tail booms, those tend to be available locally.

Thanks,
Paul
From the Mega Link Index:

Arms material:

--15mm square Towel bar: 2.7g/in @ $.20/in -Lowes, Home Depot
--13mm x .03mm (1/2x.016in) Alum tubing: 1.2g/in @ $.13/in -http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/k+s/k+s9413.htm and http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/...ge=tube&LimAcc=

While 15mm doesn't equal 5/8" (~1/32" smaller, so maybe same thing), if those weights are correct then the 1/2" is lighter than the 5/8".

I have used the 1/2" for a while now, even with the 2814/22 size motors. I am actually putting together a Y6 with Rusty's 1/2" square motor mounts and 2814/22's right now. If those 1/2" arms successfully handle a coax setup with those motors then I'd stick with the 1/2" because of weight.

Metals Depot ships fast and its pretty cheap. I have placed two orders with them for 4 -48" pieces and then cut what I need and a few extras. I leave the rest in the shipping tube in the corner of a closet for when I need more.

Shawn

Edit: I have also crashed and not had the 1/2" bend on me. When it has, I have been able to bend it back into place pretty well and continue flying before.
Mactadpole is online now Find More Posts by Mactadpole
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2011, 12:41 AM
Registered User
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
Hi Shawn,

The funny thing is that I was planning to reduce the diameter of the next frame from 6.5" to 6.25". I just can't imagine 8", but it's certainly doable if needed.

Adapters are very doable, and if anyone has a camera mount, landing gear, etc that they want to mount, all I need to know is the hole mounting pattern. I'll be happy to make an adapter mount for just about anything.

Cheers,
Rusty
I will take a look this weekend and see if I can come up with something to submit to you.

Thanks, Shawn
Mactadpole is online now Find More Posts by Mactadpole
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2011, 10:52 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,709 Posts
Hi Gents,
Shawn,
Your post made me question those measurements that were supplied to me. I just made corrections to the towel bar measurements in the Mega Index since I now have towel bars to do so I would appreciate if you or someone out there please check the weight of the Alum tubing you have as that looks a bit light to me too as I'm sure the Trex tubing which I also do have and remeasured should certainly be lighter than that aluminum tubing.

--15mm x .4mm (5/8 x.016in) square Towel bar: 2.35g/in @ $.20/in -Lowes, Home Depot
--13mm x .3mm (1/2x.016in) Alum tubing: 1.2g/in @ $.13/in -http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/k+s/k+s9413.htm and http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/...ge=tube&LimAcc=

Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactadpole View Post
From the Mega Link Index:

Arms material:

--15mm square Towel bar: 2.7g/in @ $.20/in -Lowes, Home Depot
--13mm x .03mm (1/2x.016in) Alum tubing: 1.2g/in @ $.13/in -http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/k+s/k+s9413.htm and http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/...ge=tube&LimAcc=

While 15mm doesn't equal 5/8" (~1/32" smaller, so maybe same thing), if those weights are correct then the 1/2" is lighter than the 5/8".

I have used the 1/2" for a while now, even with the 2814/22 size motors. I am actually putting together a Y6 with Rusty's 1/2" square motor mounts and 2814/22's right now. If those 1/2" arms successfully handle a coax setup with those motors then I'd stick with the 1/2" because of weight.

Metals Depot ships fast and its pretty cheap. I have placed two orders with them for 4 -48" pieces and then cut what I need and a few extras. I leave the rest in the shipping tube in the corner of a closet for when I need more.

Shawn

Edit: I have also crashed and not had the 1/2" bend on me. When it has, I have been able to bend it back into place pretty well and continue flying before.
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Last edited by jesolins; Aug 05, 2011 at 12:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2011, 11:37 AM
Registered User
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,213 Posts
Hey Rusty I am one of the people emailed about using towel rack, if you do the blocks for the 5/8" bar I want one. If not the sandwich idea may come to light.

Michael64
Michael64 is offline Find More Posts by Michael64
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2011, 12:01 PM
Registered User
Sweden, Norrbotten County
Joined Jun 2007
601 Posts
Had to try out your landinggear so ordered a set
cyberdog is offline Find More Posts by cyberdog
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 05, 2011, 12:02 PM
aka Helidaho
AeroVideoUS's Avatar
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael64 View Post
Hey Rusty I am one of the people emailed about using towel rack, if you do the blocks for the 5/8" bar I want one. If not the sandwich idea may come to light.

Michael64
I second the 5/8" square tube blocks! I would buy a whole mess of them for all my quads Okay maybe 16 to 20 or so... Plus a frame.

Thanks,
Paul
AeroVideoUS is online now Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Rusty's Rev-8 Frame Kit 13brv3 Multirotor Talk 18 Feb 24, 2011 03:10 PM
New Product Rusty's Cheap DIY Frame Parts 13brv3 Multirotor Talk 22 Dec 05, 2010 01:16 AM
Alert SOLD- Quadcopter-ARF-Rusty's Rev-7 frame, QP FC board, + extras - US $300 shipped Mactadpole Multirotor Talk 3 Oct 12, 2010 11:16 PM
Sold Quadcopter-ARF-Rusty's Rev-7 frame, Quadpowered FC board, + extras - US $300 shipped Mactadpole Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 2 Oct 12, 2010 02:23 PM
Question What Landing Gear for Rusty's Frame? (Or any frame) Canadian Geek Multirotor Talk 16 Aug 05, 2010 03:30 PM