SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 06, 2012, 04:54 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,494 Posts
Holy cow, that is a great find. Thanks Rusty!
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:16 PM
Dirty Dozen FPV
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Aug 2011
2,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
Greetings,

A customer recently sent me some pictures of a dome he found. Actually it's an "acrylic fillable ornament". I had seen the link before, but didn't think much about it, since they didn't have a size that I though would work. As it turns out, the largest size they have is 140mm, and that happens to fit reasonably well.

Did I mention they were cheap? How does $2.99 each (2 domes) sound? You'll have to find some way to attach them, and I sure wouldn't trust them for crash protection, but it's a cheap umbrella that weighs just under 2 oz.

Here's a link to the page, with all the varieties on it. If anyone snags one of the Lady Gaga ornament costumes, please do NOT post pictures

http://factorydirectcraft.com/catalo...ornaments.html

This is the 140mm size from near the bottom of that page:
http://factorydirectcraft.com/catalo..._ornament.html

Cheers,
Rusty
Cheap as long as you don't want to ship overseas, shipping is almost 10x the cost od the "domes".
Wayno Complaino is offline Find More Posts by Wayno Complaino
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:27 PM
H19
United States, ME, South Portland
Joined Feb 2011
187 Posts
Rusty

got my frames today,
thanks for the quick shipping,

very nicely packaged, and sweet machining

jp aka maineiack
H19 is offline Find More Posts by H19
Old Feb 06, 2012, 07:22 PM
SuperX Hex and X8 Flyer
Columbus, IN
Joined Jul 2009
650 Posts
Speaking about domes, I experimented a little this past weekend with a homemade vacuum plastic former. I bought a glass bowl from Walmart for $3 and made a mold that would fit Rusty's UAP1 plates and then made some domes.

I used various plastic types and thicknesses, but the plastic that seems to work the best is PETG at about 3/32" thickness. Those are the clear ones in the pictures. I need to do some more tweaking before I try a thicker PETG or a Lexan sheet. All in all, they didn't turn out too bad and they should be plenty strong for crash protection! I'm also going to try a hemisphere mold next.

Ross
ross_badger is offline Find More Posts by ross_badger
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:19 PM
USA, CA, Pollock Pines
Joined Jan 2011
158 Posts
I finally got my X8 completed using the UAP-1 , really happy with the versatility of the kit contents. I have fired up the motors but have not flown it yet or even lifted off the ground. Kind of scary after having only flown max size of a (VC 550) with 4 motors. This thing is a giant compared......

Frame: Rusty's UAP1
Format: X8 Octo
Size: 32" M to M
Booms: 5/8" carbon fiber
Landing Gear: Rusty's CM-2 with brass tubes for the skids ( they are light).
Cam Mount: Averticalview
Flight Controller: WooKong WK-M
Motors: 8 Avroto's
Props: Top( 12 x 3.8) Bottom(11 x 4.7)
ESC's: 8 Hobbywing Flyfun 30A
Power Distribution: homemade using Gaui 500 (4 into 1) 3.5mm bullet connectors and splitter plug for 2 lipo's
Dome Cover: Old turbo Ace x720 dome
Weight: 9.56 pounds with Nikon D7000 and no batteries

(Top deck(IMU MC RX) Next deck(Booms and wires) Next deck(8 ESC's) Next deck( single or duel batteries)

I wanted to keep a clean looking setup so I have everything tucked inside but plenty of openings to keep all running cool

-Don

Got a cat in the pic for scale....

Name: DSC_9741_20120204_1275.jpg
Views: 140
Size: 77.2 KB
Description: Name: DSC_9754_20120204_1271.jpg
Views: 145
Size: 78.9 KB
Description:

Name: DSC_9785_20120204_1247.jpg
Views: 134
Size: 99.4 KB
Description: Name: DSC_9794_20120204_1249.jpg
Views: 152
Size: 155.5 KB
Description:

Name: DSC_9797_20120204_1251.jpg
Views: 124
Size: 118.2 KB
Description: Name: DSC_9799_20120204_1252.jpg
Views: 157
Size: 147.6 KB
Description:

Name: DSC_9803_20120204_1255.jpg
Views: 133
Size: 109.2 KB
Description:
bendicks is offline Find More Posts by bendicks
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:36 PM
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Oct 2010
563 Posts
Poor Man's Extended Landing Gear

I came into ownership of a very, very nice (albeit busted) camera gimbal from Photohigher - specifically the AV200 - by helping out some really nice guys with their MK setup.

A $920 camera gimbal is out of my league budget-wise, so I was pretty excited that after ordering the repair kit for pretty cheap, I had a fully working gimbal! Then I learned that the landing gear that accompanies the mount costs $330 (plus shipping).

I contacted Rusty about whether he had any landing gear large enough to host this monster, and then I made a thread to see if anyone had some good alternatives to a $330 landing gear, but no luck. Then, I drafted an idea for a modified, angled boom clamp and sought someone to manufacture it, to no avail.

Rusty suggested something that I had thought of too, which would be to simply use two boom clamps mounted to a piece of G10 with one of them at an angle. His post about this conversation is a few pages back in this thread.

I completed the mod last night and it is shown in the attached pictures.I used some spare aluminum 5/8" rods that I had bought to use for arms (which cost about $2 each). I cut them off using a dremel after I had them mounted.

If I were to do it again (and I will) I would suggest using two clamps on each motor arm rather than just one because if I try to hold this beast by one of the legs, the leg tends to rotate around the arm - along with the LED's.

The nice part is that I can provide as much or as little ground clearance for the camera as I wish. the bad part is that I can barely get this thing out the door! It is really huge and bulky and awkward to carry around! Ha ha! I changed it's name (you DO name your birds, right?) from MegaHexa to "The Flying Table" because it is now so large and level that I could easily eat lunch off of it.

I have not yet shot video, but I feel certain that the legs (which leave slightly more than 120-degrees in front of the camera clear) will stay out of the shot, unless I use a GoPro in wide mode!

Of course, this gear will not help much in a hard landing. But which gear will help?

I welcome any feedback, but mostly wanted to show how it can be done.
DroneBuilder is offline Find More Posts by DroneBuilder
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,076 Posts
that looks badass...congrats
BayAreaCrasher is offline Find More Posts by BayAreaCrasher
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:46 PM
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Oct 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemaLife View Post
that looks badass...congrats
I can assume your post was directed to bendicks, since it appears we both posted at the same time. Now I wish to remove my post because my sloppy build looks embarrassing next to his!!

Nice build there, bendicks!
DroneBuilder is offline Find More Posts by DroneBuilder
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:50 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross_badger View Post
Speaking about domes, I experimented a little this past weekend with a homemade vacuum plastic former. I bought a glass bowl from Walmart for $3 and made a mold that would fit Rusty's UAP1 plates and then made some domes.

I used various plastic types and thicknesses, but the plastic that seems to work the best is PETG at about 3/32" thickness. Those are the clear ones in the pictures. I need to do some more tweaking before I try a thicker PETG or a Lexan sheet. All in all, they didn't turn out too bad and they should be plenty strong for crash protection! I'm also going to try a hemisphere mold next.

Ross
Cool, so if anyone needs domes, you know who to contact ...

What temp did you heat the PETG to? I've still got some sheets of that to try, but haven't really gotten around to it.

Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 06, 2012, 09:14 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,839 Posts
Always cool to see complete copter pictures I bet the copter could lift that cat...

The extended gear is an interesting idea. There are only a couple things that might be a problem. One is vibration since the legs are in the propwash. I don't know how much farther you could move them inward and still keep them out of the camera though.

The other problem may be splitting the pultruded carbon tubes. Pultruded tubes are strong and stiff until you twist them just a bit too hard. At that point they split, and you get to replace them. Even with only one block on each leg, you can probably get enough grip to split the arms in a crooked landing. With two blocks per leg, it would almost be guaranteed. Worst case, you might end up having to use those thick wall CF tubes ($$$ not pultruded).

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 07, 2012, 05:48 AM
SuperX Hex and X8 Flyer
Columbus, IN
Joined Jul 2009
650 Posts
Quote:
Cool, so if anyone needs domes, you know who to contact ...

What temp did you heat the PETG to? I've still got some sheets of that to try, but haven't really gotten around to it.

Rusty
I had 12"x12" sheets of the PETG and heated the oven to 300deg F, and then let the sheet sag by about 1-1/2" before I took it out. Sometimes I got a fold in the plastic, so I need to understand why this is happening. I also didn't use any release agent, and the mold popped right out without issues.

I'll keep you informed of my progress!

Ross
Old Feb 07, 2012, 05:49 AM
SuperX Hex and X8 Flyer
Columbus, IN
Joined Jul 2009
650 Posts
Bendicks - I love your X8....very clean and BIG! I don't know about your cat, but I have to keep mine away from my Y6 since he seems to always want to chew on the props. I've got tiny teeth marks on some of my older props.....
Old Feb 07, 2012, 01:25 PM
Rut-Roe
Canada, ON, Stouffville
Joined May 2003
151 Posts
Great find!

Quote:
Greetings,

A customer recently sent me some pictures of a dome he found. Actually it's an "acrylic fillable ornament". I had seen the link before, but didn't think much about it, since they didn't have a size that I though would work. As it turns out, the largest size they have is 140mm, and that happens to fit reasonably well.

Did I mention they were cheap? How does $2.99 each (2 domes) sound? You'll have to find some way to attach them, and I sure wouldn't trust them for crash protection, but it's a cheap umbrella that weighs just under 2 oz.

Here's a link to the page, with all the varieties on it. If anyone snags one of the Lady Gaga ornament costumes, please do NOT post pictures

http://factorydirectcraft.com/catalo...ornaments.html

This is the 140mm size from near the bottom of that page:
http://factorydirectcraft.com/catalo..._ornament.html

Cheers,
Rusty
Thank you!
BlueFielder is offline Find More Posts by BlueFielder
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:48 PM
USA, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2010
1,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross_badger View Post
Bendicks - I love your X8....very clean and BIG! I don't know about your cat, but I have to keep mine away from my Y6 since he seems to always want to chew on the props. I've got tiny teeth marks on some of my older props.....
Our cat, or should I say my wife's cat does the same thing.
Av8Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Av8Chuck
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:33 PM
USA, CA, Pollock Pines
Joined Jan 2011
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroneBuilder View Post
I can assume your post was directed to bendicks, since it appears we both posted at the same time. Now I wish to remove my post because my sloppy build looks embarrassing next to his!!

Nice build there, bendicks!

I think yours is also looking pretty good, nice gimbal......mine would not look so clean if I had not tucked all the wires away......actually have too much wire. Kept the full length on the Avroto's.

-Don
bendicks is offline Find More Posts by bendicks