HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2011, 03:53 AM
Dartmouth, NS, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grips View Post
I am planning on challenging the $30 charge for sure.

Hunter: Have you done any commercial AP in NS with Transport Canada's SFOC's?

No commercial AP, only in the hobby for fun.
Hunter850 is offline Find More Posts by Hunter850
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2011, 04:04 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Waitakere
Joined Sep 2007
737 Posts
How about doing a power distribution block like this one easy add on sale for you! (I tried making one using the centre off cuts I asked you to send with my order...not the same as whats posted there)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11411
koolkiwikat is offline Find More Posts by koolkiwikat
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:05 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkiwikat View Post
How about doing a power distribution block like this one easy add on sale for you! (I tried making one using the centre off cuts I asked you to send with my order...not the same as whats posted there)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11411
That only works with a wooden quad

Seriously, that looks like about 1-2 oz of undesirable weight to me, though it does look nice.

What I've done in a few cases is use double sided PC board for one of the plates. Micro Deans fit perfectly on the edges, and as long as you recess the copper around the positive side of the screw holes, it won't short out. I typically turn the positive side toward the blocks, since that area is pretty well protected, and I put several coats of the toughest paint I can find over the copper on the positive side.

It works well, but isn't that much lighter than a wiring harness. The biggest downside is the risk of a short with all that copper surface, and I'd probably have to include a fuse if I ever made those to sell. The neat thing is that you could also include common voltage regulators on the same board, for 5V or 12V if desired.

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:18 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,555 Posts
Got my ESC wiring run through the 5/8 carbon tubing and plan on mounting the ESCs in between the tube mounts sideways. I'll rework it if I ever go Y6.

Loving the frame Rusty.
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:06 PM
Eat-Sleep-Work-Fly-Repeat
Canada, NL, Division No. 9
Joined Mar 2011
689 Posts
I'm awaiting the rest of my trex 500 booms before I start on my assembly..

How much weight could you possibly shave from a regular Esc? Is it worth the hassle?
Grips is online now Find More Posts by Grips
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:13 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post

Loving the frame Rusty.
Great to hear! Thanks,
Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 24, 2011, 09:17 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grips View Post

How much weight could you possibly shave from a regular Esc? Is it worth the hassle?
I can't imagine you'd save enough to make it worthwhile. Probably the best way to save weight is to go with a smaller ESC. I see people running 60A ESCs when maybe an 18A would be enough. I know the Turnigy Plush ESCs can handle a significant overcurrent, so you can size ESCs for normal operation, not the max they could ever see.

For example, an Avroto motor will pull around 22A using a 4S battery, but you'd never fly at over 18A continuous, so that's what I'll use. I've run 18A Plush ESCs over 30A many times on the test stand, with no harm done.

Cheers,
Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 01, 2011, 07:39 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,829 Posts
news and questions

Greetings,

I'm still working on an AP frame, which has prompted a few changes and questions.

First, the blocks will soon be round on the ends, rather than square. This removes unused material, and will save up to 1.5 oz per frame depending on how many, and what size blocks are used. The first will be 12mm, since they get purchased much faster than the other sizes. I still have a large supply of 5/8" blocks, so it will be a while for those, and at the current rate of sales of the 1/2" square blocks, I should be ready to transition to the round ones in about 5-10 years

I ran across this site for domes, and ordered a few to try.

http://www.cleardome.com/smalldomes.htm

Hopefully they'll be cheaper in quantity, but the 5-1/4" diameter dome with 1/2" flange should be perfect for the AP frame, and also for the Rev-8. That's what I ordered, and I'll be really interested to see how heavy, and how strong they are.

Now for the question. I'm willing to offer CF as an option if there's a demand for it, but I'd need to know why you'd want it. CF is stiffer per weight than G10, so you can have a significant savings in weight, or stiffness, but not really both. For example:

If I have a plate made from 1/16" G10, and compare that to a plate made from 1/16" CF, the CF will be much stiffer, but only slightly lighter. The other option is to make the CF plate from a thinner material, like maybe 1mm. In that case, it should be about the same stiffness, but much lighter.

Given the choice, do you want stiffer, or lighter? Of course the 3rd option is "cooler", as in "looks cool"

Cheers,
Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:04 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
>>First, the blocks will soon be round on the ends, rather than square. This removes unused material, and will save up to 1.5 oz per frame depending on how many, and what size blocks are used. The first will be 12mm, since they get purchased much faster than the other sizes.<<

Those are just way cool! When are they available. Will you announce here? I am ready for some.

>>Now for the question. I'm willing to offer CF as an option if there's a demand for it, but I'd need to know why you'd want it. CF is stiffer per weight than G10, so you can have a significant savings in weight, or stiffness, but not really both. For example:

If I have a plate made from 1/16" G10, and compare that to a plate made from 1/16" CF, the CF will be much stiffer, but only slightly lighter. The other option is to make the CF plate from a thinner material, like maybe 1mm. In that case, it should be about the same stiffness, but much lighter. <<

Yup, that is really the 6 million dollar question. I struggle with that every day. I don't need carbon fiber simply for the sake of having CF. If there is any reason why I want CF it will be for lightness. So the same stiffness but thinner will be my choice.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Aug 01, 2011, 08:51 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post

Those are just way cool! When are they available. Will you announce here? I am ready for some.
I hoped I just did announce them Actually, my plan was to just pre-warn people that they would change at some point, but if someone specifically requests the new ones, I'll send them if I have them.

The 12mm size is all there is so far, and I've been working on a sheet of Delrin between thunderstorms for the past few days. With any luck, that sheet will be off the machine tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
If there is any reason why I want CF it will be for lightness. So the same stiffness but thinner will be my choice.
You're vote has been entered

I've tried 1/16" in both G10 and CF, and I'll have some 1mm here tomorrow afternoon. I'm skeptical that it will be stiff enough, so it will be interesting to see how it works out.

Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 01, 2011, 09:36 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
>>I hoped I just did announce them Actually, my plan was to just pre-warn people that they would change at some point, but if someone specifically requests the new ones, I'll send them if I have them.

The 12mm size is all there is so far, and I've been working on a sheet of Delrin between thunderstorms for the past few days. With any luck, that sheet will be off the machine tomorrow.<<

You did. I will ask for them when I put in an order soon. I have to count how many I need.
Old Aug 02, 2011, 02:17 AM
Joined Sep 2007
737 Posts
Stiff and Light would be great, dont forget to do mounts thats fold, you would own the market! It looks simple
Old Aug 02, 2011, 02:23 AM
Joined Sep 2007
737 Posts
This looks different....maybe some ideas/improvements

http://www.rcmania.hk/2011/07/12501
Old Aug 04, 2011, 02:10 PM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
667 Posts
Rusty,

It would be great if you offered some CF (or G10) center plates that were a little bigger than your 6.5" plates so that landing gear like the Droidworx's could be easily mounted. I am not near my copter at the moment so can't give you the size but I think around 7.5" would do it, or even 8" to round it out. The larger diameter would also provide a little more space for all the stuff that tends to get added to heavy-lift machines. I am thinking how nice it would be to make a heavy lift X8 or even flat octo using your center plates and 5/8" arm mounts that would let me easily attach my DW landing gear with camera gimbal. I think you could capture those who want to give a heavy lifter for APV a try but don't want to spend $1000 on the frame alone. I think a lot of folks are willing to spend the money on the expensive gimbal/landing gear but can't afford the expensive frame too. Even if its a little heaver who cares. If APV seems to be something the user decides they want to pursue further then they can buy the $1000+ frame.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Shawn
Mactadpole is online now Find More Posts by Mactadpole
Old Aug 04, 2011, 02:25 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Rusty,

Here are pictures of your Rev 7 frame.