HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:34 AM
United States, AK, Homer
Joined Dec 2012
31 Posts
Thanks a lot Mike. I really appreciate your time helping me out with all that information, I'll keep it handy as I go to order the rest of my needed equipment. I hadn't discovered the pirate eye video glasses yet and that looks like a great option for me.

I'm expecting this whole build to take a while, especially since I'll have so much to learn along the way, and waiting for needed parts to ship. I like your idea of having the top plate on the frame easily removable. Thanks again.
photism is offline Find More Posts by photism
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:42 AM
Joined Sep 2012
39 Posts
Is there an explanation of Rustys floating camera mount in this thread? I couldn't seem to see it... We're having major problems with getting footage from the Sony HX9V on a Naza quad jello free.

We seem to have tried everything but I heard that the floating camera mount is the way to go.

Thanks in advance and apologies if it has already been covered.
overandabove is offline Find More Posts by overandabove
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:02 PM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
I'm not sure if there is any info in this thread on the floating plates but there is info in the UG-1 gimbal thread.

The hx9v is notorious for jello unless you have a super smooth copter and great vibration isolation. I think much of that is due to the image stabilization that can't be turned off. Hansen found a combination that works so hopefully he can shed more light on it.
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:07 PM
Joined Sep 2012
39 Posts
Thanks, I'll have a look at the other thread, and any other pointers would be great.

We were aware of the HX9V's reputation for Jello, but when it's dialled in the results can be fantastic. We also use the NEX5N so it's nice to keep everything Sony. I know people are getting better results with the RX100, but since we already have the HX9V I really want to get it working properly.
overandabove is offline Find More Posts by overandabove
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:25 PM
United States, MI, Wyoming
Joined Dec 2012
330 Posts
anyone have pictures of a zenmuse attached to a UAP kit? trying to get an idea what i need.
Ryan5508 is offline Find More Posts by Ryan5508
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:08 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
>>Is there an explanation of Rustys floating camera mount in this thread?<<

Not much to explain really. It has two round plates with small holes and big holes. The EAR isolators fit between the two plates in a compression. You attach the payload to the top plate and the bottom plate attach to the multi rotor frame.

Easier to show you a picture instead.
SeismicCWave is online now Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:58 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overandabove View Post
Is there an explanation of Rustys floating camera mount in this thread? I couldn't seem to see it... We're having major problems with getting footage from the Sony HX9V on a Naza quad jello free.

We seem to have tried everything but I heard that the floating camera mount is the way to go.

Thanks in advance and apologies if it has already been covered.
I'm using a RX100 and my fist build was a UAP1 quad, balanced Graupner props and anti-vib motor mounts with the round dampener plates and the manual camera tilt and it was jello free. I then switched to a Y6 setup and got jello. I was able to remove it by adding a third level of vibration dampening directly to the camera mount. For the manual tilt mount I used some special foam, but now using a gimbal, it's a second plate that sits on top of 4 EAR isolators (same type as the floating plates). This is not my design, but came with the AG500 gimbal. They added this plate specifically to address the RX100 jello problem. But I don't know if it's enough for the HX9V.
Mike SF is offline Find More Posts by Mike SF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Website and Showreel
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:10 AM
Joined Sep 2011
40 Posts
Rusty, will there be a way to use the Droidworks gear/gimbal adapter like on the previous UAP-1? I get amazing results with this setup and I would really like to update my frame to the UAP2. Thanks!
TYLORD is offline Find More Posts by TYLORD
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:07 AM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYLORD View Post
Rusty, will there be a way to use the Droidworks gear/gimbal adapter like on the previous UAP-1? I get amazing results with this setup and I would really like to update my frame to the UAP2. Thanks!
In the past, I made adapters for other gimbals because I didn't have a gimbal myself. Now that I do, I'm not planning to spend time on adapters for other gimbals. It will be better for me to spend the time on newer gimbals, such as the brushless version that's in the works now.

Fortunately adapters are not really that hard to make, so if anyone desperately wants to adapt some other gimbal or gear legs to the UAP1 or UAP2, they can probably do it fairly easily.

Cheers,
Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:28 PM
Joined Jan 2012
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
It will be better for me to spend the time on newer gimbals, such as the brushless version that's in the works now.
Hey Rusty, can you slow down on the developments? My wallet can't keep up
Just got my first Nex5n yesterday, why didn't anybody tell me this camera was so darn good? It's much smaller than I expected too, getting excited for spring.

As for the HX9V, that's what I started out with, mount it on this with the motor mounts and floating plate and you will be jello free:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HL500-ANTI-V...item19d849b965

I've had this for about a year an it works...very well. However, it almost weighs 100 grams....

I've been developing a superior plate, and have similar results with a weight of only 40 grams, and the material is much stronger. But still have more tests to do before I can say for sure that it works better. The main test being...actually flying it on a multirotor ....due to the weather....

Oh, and pay him extra for expedited shipping if you decide to purchase it, it comes from Israel...unless you can wait a few weeks to get it.
janoots2 is offline Find More Posts by janoots2
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:17 AM
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
230 Posts
I am considering mounting my battery on my quad between two plates. Can anyone suggest a good way to secure the battery that will also allow it to be easily removable?

Thanks,
Andy
Andy T. is offline Find More Posts by Andy T.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:25 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
This is my Waterproof Hexa. I didnt realize until I had finished that I had ended up using all Rustys parts to build this. I had a bunch of spare parts floating around and this is what a I ended up with.
The esc's are all inside heatshrink with silicone sealer preventing water getting in. The rest of the electronics and battery (4s) are all inside the plastic container with the wiring sealed with silicone sealer. Total weight including gopro, 5000mah 4s battery comes to 2.4kg. Im getting 7 minute hovers and about 6 minute real flying out of it which suits what im going to do. I would have liked 8-10 minute flights but this will do for now. Next step is to learn how to build one out of CF.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:52 PM
SuperX Hex and X8 Flyer
Columbus, IN
Joined Jul 2009
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T. View Post
I am considering mounting my battery on my quad between two plates. Can anyone suggest a good way to secure the battery that will also allow it to be easily removable?

Thanks,
Andy
Velcro is the best way!
ross_badger is offline Find More Posts by ross_badger
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:00 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross_badger View Post
Velcro is the best way!

Velcro makes sense if it is your top plate because you have room to pull up on the battery and twist and release it from the velcro. If the battery is between two plates then you don't have much room to pull up or twist the battery.. I was just wondering what other people have done to hold the battery in place but also make it easy to remove in light of not having much room to pull the battery away from the velcro. Maybe it's not really a problem but it seems like it would be a hassle.

Andy
Andy T. is offline Find More Posts by Andy T.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:36 PM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
610 Posts
I've seen people use thick, tactile, moderately rigid foam on the two plates. The battery would fit snugly into the foam between the plates. My only concern would be if you fly really aggressively the battery might come out, but you could probably also fit some sort of small stopper on either end of the battery plates to keep it from coming out, like use a couple leg plates that can rotate into and out of the way.

Other than that...Velcro!
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase