HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:06 PM
SuperX Hex and X8 Flyer
Columbus, IN
Joined Jul 2009
659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansAuf View Post
I use those pretty much exclusively. Those and the 20A. Just make sure you buy 1 or 2 more than you actually need. Some come faulty out of the package. They'll blow a FET off the first few minutes they are powered up. I actually had one go last night while setting up a Hexa for a guy who sent it to me to build. But the ones that work, really work well!
Thanks for the tip! Are you using the stock firmware with these, or have you flashed the SimonK firmware?

Ross
ross_badger is offline Find More Posts by ross_badger
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:04 PM
United States, AZ, Snowflake
Joined Dec 2011
89 Posts
I have an FPV/AV question. This is probably not the right thread, but there are some very knowledgeable people posting here that could probably answer my question. I've got a UAP1 configured as a Y6 with a Naza FC. I want to get into AV/FPV with a gimbal that will stabilize the camera to counter the pitch and roll of the Y6, but I also want to be able to dynamically change the tilt of the camera while flying FPV and still maintain the pitch and roll stability. I understand the Naza can control the pitch and roll servos (not real good though), but how do I override the Naza to change the tilt of the camera and then have the Naza resume controlling the pitch and roll, using the new tilt angle? Is it even possible?
kgreylgrey is offline Find More Posts by kgreylgrey
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:16 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
yeah the manual control of tilt with it still being stabilized is a built in feature with the multiwii, Copter Control, Naza, HoverFly and all other FCs that I know of that have gimbal controls.

the Naza is still missing that promised firmware update to match the WKM gimbal performance, but perhaps it will be out sometime soon

currently the CC, HoverFly Pro, and Multiwii are all better at gimbal stabilization than the Naza

that doesnt mean you cant use it.....
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:32 PM
United States, AZ, Snowflake
Joined Dec 2011
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
yeah the manual control of tilt with it still being stabilized is a built in feature with the multiwii, Copter Control, Naza, HoverFly and all other FCs that I know of that have gimbal controls.

the Naza is still missing that promised firmware update to match the WKM gimbal performance, but perhaps it will be out sometime soon

currently the CC, HoverFly Pro, and Multiwii are all better at gimbal stabilization than the Naza

that doesnt mean you cant use it.....
Thanks Adidas. I should have read the gimble section of the Naza manual first Duh!
kgreylgrey is offline Find More Posts by kgreylgrey
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:38 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreylgrey View Post
I want to get into AV/FPV with a gimbal that will stabilize the camera to counter the pitch and roll of the Y6
Let me ask you this. How can you tell if your Y6 is banked is your gimbal is stabilized properly?
SeismicCWave is online now Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:09 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Aug 2012
2 Posts
wow, my god, this Waterproof Solar Powered GPS Tracker with Flashlight Function so perfect, ver popular in the world, do you know this? crazy sale, free shipping, don't miss: http://baseurl.de/6u I believe you must like it
mafan is offline Find More Posts by mafan
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:35 AM
Pass me some zip-ties!
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2006
2,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross_badger View Post
Thanks for the tip! Are you using the stock firmware with these, or have you flashed the SimonK firmware?

Ross
NP Ross. I'm actually flashing them all using SimonK's firmware. It's definitely not an option for me to not flash them. His code is so much better for multirotor use than the stock firmware. I've used it so many times that I made sure to donate some $$$ recently and I plan to do so for each 10 that I flash since I've ended up doing builds (for parts trade, not charging people) and have flashed a lot of them lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreylgrey View Post
I have an FPV/AV question. This is probably not the right thread, but there are some very knowledgeable people posting here that could probably answer my question. I've got a UAP1 configured as a Y6 with a Naza FC. I want to get into AV/FPV with a gimbal that will stabilize the camera to counter the pitch and roll of the Y6, but I also want to be able to dynamically change the tilt of the camera while flying FPV and still maintain the pitch and roll stability. I understand the Naza can control the pitch and roll servos (not real good though), but how do I override the Naza to change the tilt of the camera and then have the Naza resume controlling the pitch and roll, using the new tilt angle? Is it even possible?
kgreylgrey - Get yourself a cheap Multiwii controller and flash it with the Multiwii 2.1 code defining it as a gimbal. Then use it as a standalone gimbal with output from your RX for whatever channels you plan to use. The Multiwii gimbal performance blows the Naza's away. This way you get the best of both worlds. The stability and features of the Naza and the gimbal control and options of the Multiwii. With the multiwii code, you can switch cam stabilization on/off and manual control. Of course you just need to make sure you have enough channels. I recently helped someone set something up that uses 2 RX and 2 Transmitters, but with enough channels this can be a one man job as well.
HansAuf is online now Find More Posts by HansAuf
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:28 AM
Lorton, Va
Joined May 2004
390 Posts
Quote:
NP Ross. I'm actually flashing them all using SimonK's firmware. It's definitely not an option for me to not flash them. His code is so much better for multirotor use than the stock firmware. I've used it so many times that I made sure to donate some $$$ recently and I plan to do so for each 10 that I flash since I've ended up doing builds (for parts trade, not charging people) and have flashed a lot of them lately.

kgreylgrey - Get yourself a cheap Multiwii controller and flash it with the Multiwii 2.1 code defining it as a gimbal. Then use it as a standalone gimbal with output from your RX for whatever channels you plan to use. The Multiwii gimbal performance blows the Naza's away. This way you get the best of both worlds. The stability and features of the Naza and the gimbal control and options of the Multiwii. With the multiwii code, you can switch cam stabilization on/off and manual control. Of course you just need to make sure you have enough channels. I recently helped someone set something up that uses 2 RX and 2 Transmitters, but with enough channels this can be a one man job as well.
Hans, you are the Man! I ordered a Multiwii from GLB (now I am understanding what the name really means) and can't wait for it to come in! Going to have to read up on it once I finally get it, but really looking forward to it!
sjgusmc21 is offline Find More Posts by sjgusmc21
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:12 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,632 Posts
Thank ya sir. Here's my 60 second brain dump that I wish someone would have told me when I first started messing with Multiwii and Multiwii Gimbals.
Get an FTDI board if one was not included. It is needed to connect the PC to the Multiwii board via USB. Download the Arduino 1.0 software and become lightly familiar with it and what it's used for. All you're going to do is edit a few lines of text and flash your Multiwii board with this software. Avoid trying to use the latest release of Arduino as most of the Multiwii superheroes seem to use the 1.0 version. See what kind of board type you have. Most boards can be set to Arduino Nano w/ATmega 328 in the Arduino software. The few lines of code you'll be uncommenting or adjusting for Multiwii Gimbal use are below. When I say uncomment, I mean remove the "//" lines before the actual line of code.

For example, change this:
//#define GIMBAL

To this:
#define GIMBAL

Then save the config.

FYI, that's the first change you need to make, and it's in "config.h".

The other sections to pay particular attention to for gimbal control via Multiwii are "Cam Stabilisation" and "Servo Refreshrates".

Control the Gimbal max/min values by adjusting these lines. Note you'll have to recompile/re-flash each time you mess with these:
#ifdef GIMBAL
servo[1] = constrain(TILT_PITCH_MIDDLE - TILT_PITCH_PROP * angle[PITCH] /11.5 - rcCommand[PITCH], TILT_PITCH_MIN, TILT_PITCH_MAX);
servo[2] = constrain(TILT_ROLL_MIDDLE - TILT_ROLL_PROP * angle[ROLL] /4.5 - rcCommand[ROLL], TILT_ROLL_MIN, TILT_ROLL_MAX);

Also look at TILT_ROLL_PROP and PID values in the Multiwii GUI. These are two more things you will mess with to get your gimbal performing exactly the way you want it.

Arduino Software:
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
1.0 version download link:
http://files.arduino.cc/downloads/ar....0-windows.zip
Multiwii 2.1 released version:
http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/do...ltiWii_2_1.zip
Multiwii Windows GUI - AKA "mw-wingui". This is far easier for newer folks to Multiwii to use than the included GUI software. (If you get errors when trying to run mw-wingui, get and install the related software listed here):
http://code.google.com/p/mw-wingui/downloads/list
Actual mw-wingui download link:
http://mw-wingui.googlecode.com/files/Mw-WinGUI-2.1.zip

Hope this helps!
Last edited by HansAuf; Aug 24, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 06:17 PM
SuperX Hex and X8 Flyer
Columbus, IN
Joined Jul 2009
659 Posts
Quote:
I've heard so many good things about the flashed ESC's that I am really looking forward to doing a comparison between the flashed and stock. I've got 6 flashable ESCs on their way (thanks Adidas!) so I'll be trying it next week. I'll also contribute to Simon since he put in lots of time and effort to benefit us rotorheads.....

Ross
ross_badger is offline Find More Posts by ross_badger
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:01 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
I just received the carbon weave tubes from Flycarbon. The 1mm wall thickness is exactly what I have been looking for in terms of weight and rigidity. I think I can get away from the towel rack arms.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 01:33 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
I just received the carbon weave tubes from Flycarbon. The 1mm wall thickness is exactly what I have been looking for in terms of weight and rigidity. I think I can get away from the towel rack arms.
Good to hear! I think I will place an order. What do you use to cut the booms? I use a cutoff wheel on my dermal but its not very accurate
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:49 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
Good to hear! I think I will place an order. What do you use to cut the booms? I use a cutoff wheel on my dermal but its not very accurate
I use the Dremel cut off wheel to do the rough cut. Then I put the end on the belt sanding to finish it up.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 07:51 AM
Lorton, Va
Joined May 2004
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
Yes, I received mine yesterday. 1mm as well. Very nice finish and seems strong. Cut mine using a dremel wheel and some files from 'Salleys' to smooth the end off. I might add, super fast shipping as well!
sjgusmc21 is offline Find More Posts by sjgusmc21
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:25 AM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,632 Posts
On cutting the CF weave and CF in general, some of you are probably already aware of this and take precautions, but I'm going to put it out there for anyone that's reading this. Cutting carbon fiber safely requires the same protection you would expect to use when cutting anything fibrous. You need to make sure you are wearing a mask and safety glasses. The mask is to protect your lungs from the tiny fibers that may be disbursed into the air. These fibers if pulled into your lungs do not go away, ever. They are just stuck in the walls of your lungs. The most effective way is wearing a painters dust mask over your nose and mouth. Hope I don't sound preachy, but I want to fly multirotors with all you people for a long, long time.