Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 10, 2011, 04:25 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,829 Posts
Discussion
Rusty's Frame Thread- New V2 version!

Greetings,

As of 12-1-13, the UAP1 has been discontinued, though of course parts will still be available for a long time. The UAP2-V2 it the only frame design being sold, since that's all anyone is buying anyway :-)

Cheers,
Rusty
http://www.shop.aglhobbiesllc.com/
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Last edited by 13brv3; Feb 21, 2014 at 03:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2011, 04:34 PM
Schweiz, BE, Münchenbuchsee
Joined Jun 2011
283 Posts
Hi Rusty

I have seen another nice frame:
http://www.microcopters.de/artikel/d...ite-sport-quad

Can you also build like this one?

Andy
Morphin is offline Find More Posts by Morphin
Old Jul 10, 2011, 06:35 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphin View Post
Hi Rusty

I have seen another nice frame:
http://www.microcopters.de/artikel/d...ite-sport-quad

Can you also build like this one?

Andy
Hi Andy,

You mean something like this? I'd have to eliminate the lower plate and standoffs to land on the battery like he is

I did this one afternoon just to see how it would work. There seems to be a real flat arm fad going on these days, so I couldn't resist. It was fine except for not having nearly the torsional strength of a round tube. Of course for a small quad, it would probably be just fine.

It would be pretty darn easy (and cheap) to make something like this if there was a real demand. The arms are the only part that I don't already make for other kits.

Cheers,
Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:40 PM
www.joescnc.com
United States, TX, Marion
Joined Jun 2007
714 Posts
I got away from the Flat arm designs, imo that is the weak part of that style of quad without some thick carbon fiber.
Joecnc2006 is offline Find More Posts by Joecnc2006
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:43 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
Greetings,

I'd like to establish this thread as a central point for discussions about my frame designs. Feel free to leave suggestions, comments, etc here. Pictures of customer built frames would be great, particularly if you've done something creative by reconfiguring it in a new way

I'm fairly satisfied with the current designs. They can be used with any flight controller, and in nearly any configuration from 3-12 arms, using readily available arms tubes. They aren't the lightest choice, but they're strong, and backed by the free replacement part guarantee. That being said, I now have plenty of CNC capacity, and can consider additional frame designs. This is really the reason for this thread, since it gives me a chance to take requests.

So what would you want to see in a new frame? I anticipate a fairly strong demand for a professional size AP design that could sell for far less than what the big names charge. Does it have to be carbon ($$$)? Does it have to fold? Does it have to look cool, or just be functional? I'll be interested to hear suggestions.

The demand for a professional tilt/roll camera mount for less $$$ has been noted as well. If I build an AP specific frame, the next step will be to make a mount for it. In the mean time, there are already a few nice ones out there, and competition seems to be bringing the price down. I expect to be able to fit nearly any camera mount to one of my frames, so if you have one you want to use, I'll make an plate to fit it.

Enough typing for now. Time to play with the latest CC board software.

Cheers,
Rusty
http://www.shop.aglhobbiesllc.com/
Hello Rusty,

Thanks for everything you have done so far to promote the hobby. Yes I am very interested in a full on AP machine. Quad or hex will be fine. Octo is nice but hardware cost is getting up there.

I believe the first thing for the AP machine is to go on a diet. Your center plates are great but a bit heavy once I started stacking a few of them together. So I would love to see some carbon center plates.

As you have mentioned one in passing next thing I like to see will be a quad that uses two full length arms one on top of the other. That way we can use lighter arms with thinner tube wall and still retain the strength. 10 mm square pultrude carbon tubes are about the best strength to weight ratio for now. 1/2" round tube would be nice too but they can be heavy.

Thanks again. I am still doing all sorts of thing to your Rev 7 frame. Extremely versatile!!

Edit:

Yes folding will be nice once we get into the large machines. A multi rotor with long gangly arms can be difficult to transport. For your designs I will most likely pull the arms out instead of folding them. Folding requires drilling holds in the arm and that always take away the strength. Since you are using a single holding blocks for the arms I do like to see a longer and lighter block or two blocks holding one arm.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Jul 10, 2011, 09:28 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecnc2006 View Post
I got away from the Flat arm designs, imo that is the weak part of that style of quad without some thick carbon fiber.
I wasn't optimistic about the flat arms, but it was so simple to try, I couldn't resist. The MQ-1 (mini quad) frame is far superior, so I'd certainly try to discourage people from wanting flat arms.

Cheers,
Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 10, 2011, 09:31 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,628 Posts
Rusty,

I still would like the 1/2" round tube pinch blocks. If you are willing to program it in I will pay for 8 up front. I was going to bore out some of the 12mm blocks but would prefer "factory".
pug398 is online now Find More Posts by pug398
Old Jul 10, 2011, 09:38 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,555 Posts
My Rev-8 is on its way. I'll be running Dt700s or KDA 20-22L on 3s in a 30" Quadcopter config for now. I'll expand as needed.

Really excited about it.
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Old Jul 10, 2011, 09:41 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,555 Posts
A few I found during my research.....

Old Jul 10, 2011, 09:43 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,555 Posts

Old Jul 10, 2011, 09:52 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
Hello Rusty,

Thanks for everything you have done so far to promote the hobby. Yes I am very interested in a full on AP machine. Quad or hex will be fine. Octo is nice but hardware cost is getting up there.

I believe the first thing for the AP machine is to go on a diet. Your center plates are great but a bit heavy once I started stacking a few of them together. So I would love to see some carbon center plates.
Thanks for the comments Hansen. I totally agree about the diet, and that should be easy enough to do with carbon, and more importantly, a fixed configuration. Since the current plates work for nearly any configuration, there's no area that can be cut out to lighten them. The fewer arms you've got to work with, the more opportunity there is to remove excess material.

As for configurations, I was thinking quad/X8 would probably be the first version. Can't beat a quad as long as it will comfortably lift the load, and if it won't, the X8 will, while also providing very nice redundancy.

For a hexa, I personally prefer Y6 to a traditional flat hexa. Maybe one set of plates can do both.

Quote:
As you have mentioned one in passing next thing I like to see will be a quad that uses two full length arms one on top of the other. That way we can use lighter arms with thinner tube wall and still retain the strength. 10 mm square pultrude carbon tubes are about the best strength to weight ratio for now. 1/2" round tube would be nice too but they can be heavy.
I've long thought about doing that, particularly with goal of strength to weight ratio. I can't say I like the idea of having to swap all the stuff on both sides of the frame if one arms gets broken though. Getting lazy in my old age I guess

Quote:

Thanks again. I am still doing all sorts of thing to your Rev 7 frame. Extremely versatile!!
Great to hear!

Quote:

Since you are using a single holding blocks for the arms I do like to see a longer and lighter block or two blocks holding one arm.
I have to admit that I like the double blocks on the Rev-8 plates. If the plate only has to support a single configuration, there would be plenty of room for double blocks even on smaller plates.

I've played with a number of different block arrangements, from single center blocks with as many cutouts as needed, to 1/4" wide blocks instead of the 1/2" that is standard. The center block was neat just to cut, and maybe I'll dig up some pictures of it. Aspire is your friend :-)

Cheers,
Rusty

PS- I'm late for pizza and beer, so I'll catch up in the morning.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:41 PM
USA, TX, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2004
1,361 Posts
Rusty, I have one of your earlier Proto quads which you sold me awhile back w/UAVX controller and turnigy motors. Just wanted you to know it is still alive and well! I paid a visit to Jesolins who helped w/setup and found myself hovering stable immediately after the first takeoff.....incredibly stable! The video of the flight is posted on the UAVX mega ink. Again, THANKS to you and Jim for giving a multi-greenhorn a great start!

Larry
txflyboys2 is offline Find More Posts by txflyboys2
Old Jul 10, 2011, 10:46 PM
USA, TX, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2004
1,361 Posts
BTW.....which landing gear/GoPro mount is in the pic above? Looks great!
txflyboys2 is offline Find More Posts by txflyboys2
Old Jul 11, 2011, 01:59 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Waitakere
Joined Sep 2007
737 Posts
Id like to see a folding option, Im going to experiment with the current blocks in regards to clamping shut one side(the outer blocks) and cutting enough out so the arm can clip in and hold with the pivot point drilled thru the 2nd block in the centre(inner blocks)

Love your work, especially the option to rebuild in different configs(the reason I brought your gear), at the mo Im about to purchase a averticalview 3 axis mount...so all thats missing is landing gear and mount options similar to what averticalview is doing

I currently have a Rev 8 Hexa to Octo, and a couple of quads
koolkiwikat is offline Find More Posts by koolkiwikat
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:59 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,408 Posts
Hi Rusty,
Your frames are rugged and easy to repair. I just added this thread to the Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index
in the frames section after your store link.
Cheers,
Jim
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins