SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:43 AM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,184 Posts
+1 on what Phil has to say. I've had three 51" Slicks and loved the 12XL motor with Xoar 14x7 prop. I've read others like a 15x6 but don't think I ever tried one. What prop does AM suggest for the 10XL? If less than a 14" I'd go 12XL for sure. I also ran 4S 2200 and loved that setup but never tried a heavier pack. The 51" Slick is just outstanding. The 42" is awesome for it's size but if you can swing the 51" I'd go for instead of waiting until next year

Balsa is a bit different than foam stuff but the 51" is very forgiving so if you take it slow at first you should have no problems.

Vyper Bype should be ready for maiden tomorrow, still need to set voltage alarm and servo failsafe in the morning though. I discovered during setup one of my 5085's had some issues (probably from the last flight of 51" Slick #3) so I went to K&C to see if they had one. To my surprise they actually did but it ended up costing me $200. Well, $50 for the servo and another $150 for a Blade Nano CPX they just got in today

Still no ESC for MXS so that will have to wait until next weekend. I got 7245's in but did not have time to swap out on the 58" so that will have to wait another week as well.
weaser42 is online now Find More Posts by weaser42
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:55 AM
Huck On,Huck Off, The Hucker
Philippines, Northern Mindanao, CDO
Joined Oct 2009
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaser42 View Post
+1 on what Phil has to say. I've had three 51" Slicks and loved the 12XL motor with Xoar 14x7 prop. I've read others like a 15x6 but don't think I ever tried one. What prop does AM suggest for the 10XL? If less than a 14" I'd go 12XL for sure. I also ran 4S 2200 and loved that setup but never tried a heavier pack. The 51" Slick is just outstanding. The 42" is awesome for it's size but if you can swing the 51" I'd go for instead of waiting until next year

Balsa is a bit different than foam stuff but the 51" is very forgiving so if you take it slow at first you should have no problems.

Vyper Bype should be ready for maiden tomorrow, still need to set voltage alarm and servo failsafe in the morning though. I discovered during setup one of my 5085's had some issues (probably from the last flight of 51" Slick #3) so I went to K&C to see if they had one. To my surprise they actually did but it ended up costing me $200. Well, $50 for the servo and another $150 for a Blade Nano CPX they just got in today

Still no ESC for MXS so that will have to wait until next weekend. I got 7245's in but did not have time to swap out on the 58" so that will have to wait another week as well.
$200 servo awesome, dont' forget your uber camera, see y'all tomorrow
graham1352 is offline Find More Posts by graham1352
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:37 AM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2010
407 Posts
Bring the Ncpx tomorrow I want to see it.
PlanePhil is offline Find More Posts by PlanePhil
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:19 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Feb 2009
42 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll definitely try to get Mike to switch the 10XL for the 12XL. They were selling a 13x6.5 prop with the 10XL. I really liked the look of the xoar props. Does K&C carry them, or do you usually have to order them? Thanks for letting me geek-out over all of your guys' sweet balsa planes this morning. There is nothing quite as good as seeing the planes in person and getting tips from guys who have so much experience with them. I'll let you know if/when I pull the trigger on my 51 and see you guys for the maiden.

By the way, my name is Sam, and my buddy with the 41 inch Edge is Jason (just in case I didn't get to introduce myself to each of you).
nikes614 is offline Find More Posts by nikes614
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Oct 2009
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikes614 View Post
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll definitely try to get Mike to switch the 10XL for the 12XL. They were selling a 13x6.5 prop with the 10XL. I really liked the look of the xoar props. Does K&C carry them, or do you usually have to order them? Thanks for letting me geek-out over all of your guys' sweet balsa planes this morning. There is nothing quite as good as seeing the planes in person and getting tips from guys who have so much experience with them. I'll let you know if/when I pull the trigger on my 51 and see you guys for the maiden.

By the way, my name is Sam, and my buddy with the 41 inch Edge is Jason (just in case I didn't get to introduce myself to each of you).
Nice to meet you guys today, come back on out and enjoy the fun
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:13 AM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
Here's a fun video for those who might like mixing up RC flying and shooting shot guns.

http://smallestminority.blogspot.com...nt-to-try.html
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined Oct 2009
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarWest View Post
Here's a fun video for those who might like mixing up RC flying and shooting shot guns.

http://smallestminority.blogspot.com...nt-to-try.html
Could be fun
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:24 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,232 Posts
Hey guys can ya help a brother out? I've had to take a bit of a hiatus from flying and have only been out a few times in the last two years or so but I've still been building when I can. Got four new birds to maiden. I flew many years ago at the Chandler Bowl then switched to the Higley (Nichols park) Bowl because it was so much closer. I love Higley bowl but it is always over run with soccer and cricket players on the weekends so it's really tough to fly there now. Maybe it has been divulged but I haven't read all of this huge thread to find the location of this "rogue" flying site. I LOVE flying from hard surfaces and seeing the street in the pictures has me excited. The light poles don't bother me at all. You're NOT supposed to fly into them! If someone would be willing to share the site location with me I'd be forever grateful. P.M. me if it needs to be kept secret (or to tell me to get lost!). Temps are dropping finally and I'd love to get out flying again.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:16 PM
It took me 30 years?!?!!!
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2007
2,027 Posts
Sam -- I remember you for sure! Glad you are out flying.

As the other guys will tell you, I've been bad and have flown very little since the spring.
If you still have the need for a 42" Slick, I may end up selling mine -- I'm just not flying much any more and I hate to see it sit.

Joe -- I remember you too. Not sure we ever met in person (I think I saw you at an AZ ElectricFest once, though) -- but we e-mailed a few times back a few years ago. You were flying a few of the Mountain Models, right? I still think that Switchback was a sweet little plane...

You can find the location info in post #1048.

Ben
btsai is offline Find More Posts by btsai
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:41 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,232 Posts
Ben,

Yeah, I used to go to AEF all the time and I'm the resident Mountain Models freak. Got or have had virtually every powered kit they've produced. (Got a few prototypes as well.)

I know that area but haven't been out there in a long time. Those streets are all new. Any issues with SRCHA or AZ Wingnutz being in close proximity? I used to be a member of the Nutz and we had city permission to use basin 116 just down the road. The city wouldn't let us make any access to the bowl so you had to drag yourself and planes through the fence wires. Kinda sucked so I quit flying there. Are you guys a club or just informal flyers? Oh, can I come out to play?

Joe
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:26 PM
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2007
2,027 Posts
No issues have come up. It is private property, BTW, but the regulars who fly there have an "in". Also note the regular flyers at that one corner are pretty much 3D and heli flying -- close in stuff -- definitely not "old school circle flying".

Once in a while a few other people fly all the way to the east on the same parcel of land -- they seem to fly less 3D -- at least last time I was there.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:43 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,232 Posts
Hmm, I'm definitely "old school". Never really got interested in the 3D stuff. Do you think I'd be OK there later in the day? I work nights now so I seldom get up very early anyway, especially on the weekends.

Joe
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:02 PM
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2007
2,027 Posts
Well, first off, I'm not trying to speak for everyone there -- as I mentioned I am no longer a regular flyer there. One thing I can tell you - the guys who fly there are a great bunch and super flyers. And even though they give me a hard time when I actually do show up to fly, I still consider them all good friends.

There's a lot of space there, so I'm pretty sure you can find a good spot. Maybe just stop by some Saturday to see where people are flying and go from there. Again -- maybe more on the far east end...

Hope this helps.

Ben
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:05 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,232 Posts
Ben,

Yeah, I'll have to stop by and talk to the guys first. Don't want to fly out there uninvited. Best to respect those that made it happen. Maybe in a few weeks. Thanks for all the info!

Joe
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:42 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2010
407 Posts
Joe, come out on Saturdays between 7:30 and 11:30 and you should find a few of us there. We will give you the scoop. Great bunch of guys all with one thing in mind.

If 3d is not your style there is still a lot of room. We can give you all the details. It is a great place to fly.

Phil
PlanePhil is offline Find More Posts by PlanePhil