HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:36 AM
Huck On,Huck Off, The Hucker
Philippines, Northern Mindanao, CDO
Joined Oct 2009
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanePhil View Post
Great news about the 42 slick. I have more flights on mine than you. At least for this month.
I'll try and catch up

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaser42 View Post
Doubtful, still have not ordered batts, have not seen shipping notice on hardware for motor.

I did get rudder and elevator all setup I think. THIS THING IS BIG! The horizontal stab is close to 46" across when mounted. The servo's on 2S lipo are crazy fast as well
Wow, that's a big stab. We'll have to get some photos of the 104 surrounded
by a litter of baby slicks
graham1352 is offline Find More Posts by graham1352
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:32 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2010
430 Posts
I think we have thirteen other slicks between the Rogue flyers.

Lets get a picture before we crash em'.

Two 70's
Four 59's
Two 51's
Three 42's
Two 38's
PlanePhil is offline Find More Posts by PlanePhil
Old Oct 26, 2011, 06:53 PM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,210 Posts
I finally ordered packs for the 104 today from HobbyPartz, though I almost did not do so out of spite. I sent an email to their sales support early last week and a second Monday this week and never heard back. I finally called them and was on hold for about a hour before I talked to someone who was no help at all. He could not tell me if they may be coming up on a sale, or get me a better price, was basically clueless.

I considered going with Flightmax 25C packs which were about the same weight and only $53 ea, Gens were $96, up from about $75 ea I paid for some in May. Fmax 6S 5000 I've had in the past were good for about 60 cycles, jury still out on how long GensAce will last as I only have like 26 cycles on mine so far. Hyperion's have really held up well for me as I have some with 160 or more cycles but those were $136 ea now, not in stock, and are now split packs which kinda sucks.

Oh well, money is now spent I guess. I doubt I'll get batts for this weekend and not even sure if some hardware I ordered has shipped, so almost certainly looking at the 1st week of Nov for maiden.
weaser42 is offline Find More Posts by weaser42
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:20 PM
It took me 30 years?!?!!!
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2007
2,032 Posts
Well, I won't make it out this Saturday -- one last cross country meet. Looking forward to a 104" maiden on Nov 5!
btsai is offline Find More Posts by btsai
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:57 AM
Joined Oct 2009
471 Posts
I'll be out rogue flying Sat. EVA has pylon racing going on.
See ya'll there
Old Oct 28, 2011, 04:46 PM
Joined Oct 2010
430 Posts
No flying for me tomorrow. I am going on a riverboat tour.

I maidened the 38 slick today at lunch. Flew 3 1300 packs. It flies great. Did hovers, torque rolls, blenders, KE spins, tumbles...... Kevin, it flies different than yours. I changed the position of the aileron horns back so the holes are at the hinge line. I centered the rudder on the back part of the fuse. Other than that I think the only difference is I built it on a flat table. It has way more aileron action than yours but still a little slow to roll on a strait down line. My battery was about the same place as your's.
Last edited by PlanePhil; Oct 28, 2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 06:44 PM
House of Paine
Joined May 2007
2,210 Posts
I did move my ail in a bit which freed up some movement and it flew much better. I also noticed the ail horns are probably a bit too far forward but doubt enough to matter too much. I think mine is not all that straight and that may be causing some issues.

When ordering up GensAce packs for the 104 I picked up three 3S 1000 just to see what those fly like on the EPP Slick, I also grabbed several more 2S 450 for the hec of it.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:35 PM
Joined Oct 2010
430 Posts
I picked up 3 1300 25c Hyperion's for the 38. My old blue lipos gave me low voltage alarms early into the flight and one was very weak. I hooked up the SPC port even on the foamy. I thought I would try my small 1800 Hyperion on it also, may be too heavy though.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:22 PM
"Thumbs"
Gilbert, Arizona
Joined Jan 2007
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaser42 View Post
I did move my ail in a bit which freed up some movement and it flew much better. I also noticed the ail horns are probably a bit too far forward but doubt enough to matter too much. I think mine is not all that straight and that may be causing some issues.
Flew my 38" EPP Slick about 20 times in front of my house the last 2 days. No trimming needed. I like my C.G. at about 4.2-4.5 in. Flew with 1000mAh (6-7 mins) to 1300 mAh (8-8.5 mins) batteries. Like the lighter set up better. Overall, feels slightly better than the 42" Slick and slightly less than the 51". Stiff frame and durable. Flew into palm fronds, bushes and trees.... broke a few props, but airframe still the same. Switched to prop saver set up ...still flies the same. Very, very easy KE spins, stable harrier and rolls axial. I even tried low rollers (min. ele and rud input needed)... gives more confidence as this seems indestructible, esp. on grass.

Ail horn position not an issue with the throws needed. Just wondering whether you will get enough deflection if you move the control wire to the proximal holes of the aileron horns, since your servo horn extension movement is limited by the carbon rods. I also strengthened the tail with left over carbon rods on both sides of the stab (on the top side).

May head out to your site this weekend.
Quiet E. Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Quiet E. Flyer
Old Oct 30, 2011, 12:38 AM
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2007
2,032 Posts
So what's the day's report?

I've been out too long...!

On the plus side, I think I'll be out next Saturday -- 8 am!

In the near term, I plan to hit the bowl tomorrow morning...
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:53 AM
House of Paine
Joined May 2007
2,210 Posts
Quite a few folks out today, I left about 2:15! I don't think there was any carnage, so a great day all in all. Chris did not get his 70" ready yet so that maiden is still pending. I talked to him earlier and he was having issues with his ESC, never heard if he got it working. He was trying to get it ready for Sun. I'm not planning on flying Sun but told him I'd head out to assist with maiden if needed. I plan to continue working on 104 Sun.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 02:58 PM
Joined Oct 2009
471 Posts
Sat. was great,flew 16 packs. Went out to EVA today and was surprised to
see only about 8 people, good times there as well.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 10:16 AM
Joined Oct 2009
471 Posts
Kevin, if you want a bigger place to maiden your 104 you guys could come out
and guest fly at EVA
Or I can give a map to another rogue spot where my dad,brother, and I fly sometimes
out near Higley & Queen Creek. A lot of open space there,and a decent dirt runway.
We've only had 1 other person show up to fly here.
Wherever it'll be, I won't miss it.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 11:07 AM
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2007
2,032 Posts
Ditto - just give me the coordinates and I'll be there!
Old Nov 02, 2011, 12:19 PM
House of Paine
Joined May 2007
2,210 Posts
Well I guess if I intend to fly it at Rogue I may as well just maiden it there